[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >24 >two year IT degree >barely any work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: itcuck.jpg (139KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
itcuck.jpg
139KB, 500x333px
>be me
>24
>two year IT degree
>barely any work experience
>chasing Comm Studies degree now

Okay, so to start off, I'm currently going after a four year degree in Comm Studies because I've been told that advancing in the IT world will eventually require a bachelor's or higher. I have about a year and a half left so I guess I should just finish it even though I can't really stand the program anymore. However, regarding the IT world, how am I suppose to find an entry level job or internship when most of the stuff requires experience?

What should I be doing to progress into the IT realm? Certs? Quit chasing Comm Studies meme?
>>
bump?
>>
The IT field has become like the mining industry during it's boom. The only way you get into it is either by a. knowing somebody else already in and high up or b. by being migrant on visa working very cheap and very long hours.
>>
>>61862721
So are you telling me I'm screwed basically?

Please elaborate...
>>
>>61862471

I can't speak for how everyone else got their first foot in the door, but...

>be 20
>just started uni, taking cs
>desperately looking for job
>living with senpai, remodeling the house
>hey anon, go to city hall and get us a remodel permit form
>went to city hall, go to help desk secretary
>some guy whacking away at a glorious thinkpad doing something to the secretary's pc
>"oh, nice laptop"

that's it, that's all it took to get a conversation going with who turned out to be the senior IT director of the building. He asked me what I was studying and offered me an internship on the spot.

dumb luck, yeah, but also realized city halls have great hookups for internships. you should try there.
>>
>>61862780

you are completely screwed. any employer is scouting for visa workers. any resumes you send will never be read. they just throw them into the trash or at best they will read it aloud to staff making a mockery of you. your only chance is befriending someone in the industry and sucking up to them in hopes of them getting you a job

t. 28 years experience in sucking up to higherups
>>
>>61862471
if you want advice just go fucking kill yourself

>>>/adv/
>>
>>61862821
From your perspective it seems like all doom and gloom
>>
>>61862821
Bump

Im a recent graduate in cs and ive only found intern work at an office where someone with a masters degree in networking is a mere receptionist

Everyones looking for experience so go all out on uni projects to show employers and do projects in spare time also
>>
OP, look IT is really not much of a career to aspire to anyways, everyone knows people in IT do fuck all thats why they hire shitskins to pay less. Your biggest mistake was picking IT as a career. Not even programming would be a good career anymore. If I were you I'd pick either netsec or just find a new job all together.
>>
>>61864189
how to you get involved with netsec?

I was thinking about public heath as an alternative...
>>
>>61864372
I dont work in netsec I was just throwing the idea to you, heard heaps of positive things and its a good unsaturated career path. Maybe another anon here can pitch in or make a thread about it I suppose.
>>
If you're willing to relocate, there is a huge shortage of capable IT people in the DACH region. You'll have to have some degree, though, because it's a strict requirement for most positions.
>>
>>61864725
Will they have a language requirement? Or will one be just fine knowing english
>>
I'm thinking of getting skills in "cloud computing." Seems to be everywhere, the University IT I work at is going 100% to the cloud in the coming years.
>>
>>61862787
What pc it was?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.