[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping me right now from installing Linux Mint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

What's stopping me right now from installing Linux Mint on my main desktop PC right now? I still have the installer from when I got paid to rescue an old woman's kitchen browsing machine from dying of Windows 10, but why shouldn't I use it instead of Arch Leenux or whatever?
>>
Idk mane. Trips perhaps. Alcohol consumption, a baby, shitty hardware... idk.
>>
>>61838666
Security, mint is know to have been compromised multiple times, if you say that you have an older installer get rid of it right now, the mint website was hacked a few years ago and they started distributing back-doored images.

Just use Debian with a comfy DE if you don't care about systemd
>>
Paralyzing waves of cowardice.
>>
Your crippling depression
>>
>>61838666
stop distro hopping
>>
outdated software
>>
>>61838763
It was last year. Feb 20. The webpage was hacked and the download link for the 64biit cinnamon version was altered to point to a trojanized iso sitting on a file server in Bulgaria.
If you had checked the md5sum, it wouldn't have matched.
>>
>>61838815
Probably as outdated as ubuntu, as it uses their repositories.
>>
Friendly reminder prolonged usage of debian may result in suicide.
>>
File: varg.png (657KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
varg.png
657KB, 762x464px
>>61838796
forgot pic
>>
>>61838763
I remember that. I created the liveusb day before last and got paid yesterday though.
Also I'm not running a server.

>>61838788
>>61838775
That's why I can't get a girlfriend, not why I haven't installed this yet.

>>61838815
Coming from Fedora this is my biggest issue. Is it really that bad?
>>
>>61838905
Mint won't get you a gf.
Go with gentoo or arch.
>>
>>61838905
They have also been holding back security updates

If outdated software is a problem then Debian is a not an option, but the bleeding edge alternatives(gentoo and arch) can be a pain in the ass, give opensuse tumbleweed a try is more stable than arch but more updated than debian
>>
I can't defend mint anymore. Cinnamon was updated this morning and cinnamon cpu usage went from near 0 to hopping around between 3 and 30 percent.
>>
Install LMDE (mint debian edition) with openbox and get comfy.
>>
>>61838998
I'm on Tumbleweed now, and I hate KDE as well as YaST. But I'm not sure whether I hate them as much as Arch Leenux. I might have to step off the razor's edge for a minute until Fedora cuts it out with its Waylandy growing pains.

>>61839006
I didn't even attempt to install Cinnamon on that kitchen machine so I get the beautiful MATE desktop.
>>
>>61839057
Kek When mint went to 18.2 I downloaded the mate iso by mistake and when I booted the usb to a live session, I was pissed right off because I thought they had made and ugly mess out of cinnamon for a second.
>>
It's far and away the most boring distro and doesn't even do anything super well.
>>
>>61839389
It's boring when everything just works.
>>
>>61838666
I suggest Ubuntu or Debian first, never tried Mint but I've heard it has a bit of problems, nothing should be stopping you the installer is usually pretty straight forward and pretty much the same as the Windows installer
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.