[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to improve the GNU/Linux desktop market share thread. &g

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: SteamOS.jpg (559KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SteamOS.jpg
559KB, 1920x1080px
How to improve the GNU/Linux desktop market share thread.
> /g/ ideas

> Games support
Valve should release games (Portal 3, Dota 3, Half-life 3) first for SteamOS for a while (like 1 year) and then on the other platforms.
They'll force lot's of people to install/buy SteamOS and it'll reactivate the Steam Machine's market.

> Drivers support
Google is already doing this, popularizing ChromeOS with GNU/Linux will force enterprises to give more support to the kernel and our platform. Furthermore, we will be able to install Android applications on GNU/Linux soon.

> https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps
> https://www.blog.google/products/chromebooks/the-google-play-store-coming-to/

Any other ideas?
>>
>>61812966
these things take time

the only proven method of adopting a technology in an already entrenched market such as desktop OS is to have kids learn about it in schools

if school computers everywhere had linux on it then the new generation of kids would use it. simple as that
>>
>>61812966
But GNU and Linux need to die. All that time wasted on such trash. Imagine all that time currently being spend on GNU and Linux instead being spend on a new standard(Fuck POSIX) and a good operating system.
>>
>>61813080
POSIX is the best standard when it comes to security, stability and interoperability

the fact that linux is running 99% of world's non-desktop computers only proves that
>>
>>61813045
the valve idea seemed faster for me than raise a new generation of linux-user kids
>>
>>61813107
POSIX is the only standard in its problem space
> the fact that linux is running 99% of world's non-desktop computers only proves that
More likely because its cheap as fuck and avoids licensing issues thanks to free software. However large corporations love windows.
>>
>>61812966
it's literally just games. and gib photoshop for linux. that's basically it.

once you get this, every kid will never ever bother with pirating windows anymore, since all his games work on linux.

everything else has a decent-ish linux counterpart already (ok, i havent seen MS office for years now, but i doubt it's much better than, say, Libre?), just not graphic editing (read: photoshop).

while we're at it, https://krita.org/en/item/krita-foundation-in-trouble/
>>
>>61813133
and you are correct, however...

the valve's management structure and their MUH COMPANY CULTURE bullshit doesn't allow for this level of product focus

this would require a stream of platform exclusives that can only be executed with the focus of a traditional hierarchy management

>>61813148
large corporations love windows because their workforce is using windows at home so they don't have to spend extra resources on training people dumb shit like how to click an icon in GNOME and how to use Firefox instead of MS Edge
>>
>>61813107
POSIX also contains a lot of legacy stuff that was only relevant 30 years ago. Also I am pretty sure that 99% can't be true as Windows also runs on a lot of server.

>>61813163
Haven't used Libre in ages and haven't updated ms office from 2010 but Libre was nowhere close to as usefull as ms office.

>>61813163
>https://krita.org/en/item/krita-foundation-in-trouble/
Maybe they shouldn't have tried all those weird construct trying to pay no taxes.
>>
>>61812966
>releasing new games on a shit platform that 75% of the users don't have proper drivers for (nvidia)
>dont release it on other platforms for a fucking year
You have to go back
>>>/v/
>>
>>61813107
POSIX is a dumpster fire. Unfortunately, it's the only dumpster in this problem space, so of course everything interoperates with it. It came out of the Unix wars, where every company had their own Unix spin and they wanted to come to agreement on the base system. What you ended up with is the most mundane lowest icon monk denominator that has very few useful facilities. Not to mention that the posix_* interfaces are pure garbage and hacked together.

Security? Stability? Fuck off. There isn't even a POSIX-guaranteed way of ensuring that a file will be on disk. fsync doesn't guarantee enough, and all of the hacks that databases do come from talking to filesystem developers and not from reading POSIX. So what's the fucking point.

Very few standard programs can be trivially ported between "POSIX-compliant" systems, because POSIX defines so little that you have to write special code for every snowflake system that has it's own kqueue derivative.

Fucking kill me.
>>
>>61812966
>How to improve the GNU/Linux desktop market share

Give up and start again.
The Linux kernel is a mess emulating 70's era text stream technology that even original UNIX creators realise was a mistake and GNU... everything from GNU is just bloated shit.
>>
>>61813045
I agree. RMS was absolutely right, that Microsoft's infiltration of schools will make it almost impossible to break people away from Windows (he used the drug analogy, obviously). Why else would the give massive discounts to the government for education?

I mean, why do you think so many companies have student discounts (or free accounts for students)? It's an investment in the hopes that the student will become accustomed to that tool and improve the company's business.
>>
Linux developers have to collaborate and produce viable alternatives to various windows applications that developers refuse to port. The most important thing is to not attempt to change UI design, the applications need to be made so users can switch with minimal learning. The biggest three I can think of are Photoshop, Zbrush and Visual studio.

Another thing that needs to be done is to create tools that specifically target game developers, there needs to be something that moves them away from visual studio, they even use it for developing games on BSD systems like PS4 and nintendo switch. Lastly you need to build them a high quality 3d game engine built around Vulkan and license it under BSD. With Vulkan and PS4 support they can target almost every platform besides xbox. Doing this will isolate and kill directX. If you give them an engine comparable to unity or UE4 for free they will use it even if it means no provided directX support.
>>
>>61812966
Steam on SteamOS needs to be able to install Windows games too, but it’ll automatically put it in a wine wrapper for the user, without having to do anything extra. That would allow people to still play all their games.
>>
1) Why do you want desktop linux to have more market share? Accomplishing things in Linux takes more effort and technical knowledge than doing the same in Windows or MacOS. How would that improve anyone's life?

2) Deployment is impossible. There is no such thing as one "LinuxOS" as a target platform. There are thousands of different distros and their variants, all of which operate in subtly different ways. Devs have enough work supporting several versions of Windows and the many hardware configurations that people have.

Linux can be a fun technical challenge and is portable to use in a project like Raspberry Pi or Android or a 3d milling router or a 3d printer. But it will never be a standardized mass-market solution like Windows, and it doesn't need to be.
>>
>>61813283
It could be even focused to sell more Steam Machines as Sony does with PlayStation dude
>>
>>61814102
Sure anon
It'll also help you get laid too you dumb faggot
>>
>>61814102
>dividing platforms up helps them grow
>>
>>61813217
> Libre was nowhere close to as usefull as ms office.
What does it lacks aside from documents compability?
>>
>>61814364
Useful wasn't the right word there, I meant ms Office(2010) just felt way more evolved and the usability was a bit higher than that of Libre. Haven't used both in years now though.
>>
>>61814147
>>61814166
you dont get it, the point is to force people into using gnu/linux by either buying a steam machine or installing themselves

>>61813989
1- it also takes effort to solve issues in Windows and MacOS too
2- you only need to make solutions for big distros like Debian and Redhat, and you'll be good to go, you'll cover most of the linux market share and the community could even port it to their platform (ie. AUR)

also never say never
>>
>>61812966
>Valve should release games
Stopped reading there, valve has stopped making games.
They are also not FUCKING RETARDED.

Games are not a problem, developers would love to port games IF Linux had a significant market share, until that happens games will only rarely get ported there.
>>
>>61814646
Sounds like a good way to cut into valves sales anon.
>>
Desktop Linux will never succeed due to fragmentation. There is simply no need for 300 active distros, 30 desktop environments and the like.
>>
>>61814666
Valve should release games.

>>61814874
Jokes on you, in UNIX fragmentation isn't such a big deal.
>>
Stop calling it GNU/Linux for starters. What a shitty ugly and unmarketable name. It's Linux.
>>
>>61814874
There are like 4 or 5 main distros from which all the other ones inherit, and you don't develop for a concrete DE, you develop using either Gtk3 or Qt

Kind if a big deal uh?

>>61814810
> what is marketing
Apple makes their products as they fucking want, and the world just buy their shit
>>
>>61815101
Valve isn't apple anon.
Valve can't force you onto another operating system.
>>
>muh videogames
>>
>>61813298
You are taking a very specific point saying : wow this may not work, POSIX is shit. About the issue, as you stated you have fsync, O_SYNC and even O_DIRECT. Please stop mixing up your own opinion on things and how they really are. Because 'you found' a bit of personal inconvenience in a system doesn't mean the whole thing is shit, especially when you can't provide a better solution.
People actually dedicated their for this, how shitty it could be, and it would be hard today to throw it off and start from scratch. Or you can do like Microsoft, no standard, just patches to make your things work the way they want at the time they choose.
>>
File: 20170427165951_1.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170427165951_1.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
Not releasing The Witcher 3 on Linux like the Witcher 2 was, was a big blow imho. but then again, looking at graphics differences between the versions of TW2, I'd say very few people would have run it on Linux anyway
>>
>>61813386
I don't think it's the way to go at all in fact, for a few reasons :
1/ They will never do as much of quality software as all the other companies do and has done.
2/ It's useless, as long as normie can stick to what they know, they will fear the unknown. Developing software that nobody will used is a money loss.
3/ Company actually will develop things on platform with a market share. If GNU/Linux is being adopted, they will be software for it. This is indeed a virtuous circle, from there it probably won't stop.

As stated above, people have to know how to use, know it even exist, and facilitate access to these distributions. And that's what Microsoft is doing the most: Giving away Windows to children for education and home, sell computers with preinstalled Windows OS.

Only large companies could make people use Linux, as stated, Valve should for example release HL3 or Portal 3 only on Linux and Steam Machines. Or do at least something like "free as in free beer on Linux" and "140 bucks on Windows".
>>
>>61812966
Almost all of the suggestions lead to more botnet and proprietory software. This is something that will make Linux useless, at least for me. I work as a graphic designer and it makes me very sad that because of a lack of capable free software in that area I still have to dual boot. But would I want to have Adobe products on my GNU/Linux installation? Hell no. Adobe is very unethical company with a very bad business model. I use their products because I have to, not because I want to. The same goes to vidia games. I tried to install new Far Cry for my tech illiterate friend. I was have to install so many useless stuff like some shitty service Ubisoft want me to use and don't even get me started on a fact that you don't really own a game even after you've bought it. You just allowed to play it as long as their DRM works. I mean, how can you cope with that shit? It looks like it was especially designed to work against a consumer and violate as many of his freedoms as possible. Fuck that. It's better to play chess.
That's said - having good drivers would be nice. I even kinda agree that they have to be proprietory.
-
GNU/Linux market share will increase when people understand the importance of their freedom and right for a privacy. I just hope that when that happens - it won't be complete 1984 out there.
>>
>>61815647
>You just allowed to play it as long as their DRM works. I mean, how can you cope with that shit?
Because most of gamers are cucks.
>>
>>61814364
Not launching for 30s from ssd for starters.
>>
>>61816071
You definitely haven't installed LibreOffice from this few released. I can literally have < 5 second startup on my 7 years old i3 laptop with ssd.
>>
>>61816126
And mso shows document immideately, whats your point?
>>
>>61816161
And Pages for macOS can show the document before you open the program.
>>
>>61814364
Actually Writer is not that much worse then Word (too bad it doesn't have any kind of auto correction of punctuation out of the box). But Calc on the other hand is nowhere near as capable as Exel and can be used as an alternative (so as Google Docs).
>>
>>61816161
I mean what's your point?
It's definitely not 30 seconds
>>
File: 1497392525544.jpg (2MB, 3250x3100px) Image search: [Google]
1497392525544.jpg
2MB, 3250x3100px
>>61812966
>Valve should release games (Portal 3, Dota 3, Half-life 3) first for SteamOS for a while (like 1 year) and then on the other platforms.
>They'll force lot's of people to install/buy SteamOS and it'll reactivate the Steam Machine's market.
lmao you're so delusional, if Valve was stupid enough to do that they'd get way less sales because dumb people wouldn't bother to dual boot linux to play it/run it in a VM let alone install abandon windows for linux
not only that but the ones who would bother to dual boot would just do that to play said game and return to windows as soon as possible
>>
>>61812966
>Valve should release games (Portal 3, Dota 3, Half-life 3) first for SteamOS for a while (like 1 year) and then on the other platforms.
No. Fuck you, you fucking kike. Exclusives are cancer and so are you. Your mother should reconsider and go through with the late abortion after all.

Fucking oven dodging kike.
>>
>>61816182
>a program can display content before it starts running
There are certain degrees of stupidity reserved only for macfags.
>>
>>61818658
>Windows users and GNU/Linux users will never know the comfiness of QuickLook
sad!
>>
File: finderFullscreen.png (2MB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
finderFullscreen.png
2MB, 2560x1080px
>>61818658
In macOS's finder you can preview every page of a document without opening it trough the side pane preview or just the thumbnail.
>>
>>61820312
Or with QuickLook (press the spacebar)
>>
>>61813045
this guy gets it. you will never convert older generations. just have to teach the newer generations
>>
File: 2fancy4me.png (443KB, 1920x1080px)
2fancy4me.png
443KB, 1920x1080px
>>61812966
>office and work software
Promote WPS Office to replace MS Office, and then promote LyX, Scribus, PSPP and other killer apps.
>make popular an easy and universal installation method
Port everything to AppImage, even games. SPECIALLY games.
>promote and upgrade system monitors
This simple program is the most overrated.
>share configs and config tools
Windrones miss the windows registry, similar projects for GNU/Linux exists https://sourceforge.net/projects/tlr-regedit.berlios/

The distro Linux Lite has the best config tools in my opinion https://github.com/linuxlite
>>
>>61812966
buy linux compatible games when you can
devs need to know there's demand for linux games
>>
>>61812966
SteamOS is so bad though. Just generally release it for all Linux distros on Steam
>>
Is time to think on recommending software for more needs. Here is a friendly list of GNU/Linux software for winrefugees.

Chat, Voip (skype and others): Pidgin
RSS Feeds and Youtube channel organizer and viewer: Liferea
IRC: HexChat
Backup (file synchronization): Unison
System Backup: Systemback
Batch renamer: GPRename
File search: ANGRYsearch
Duplicate files removal: dupeGuru
Drawing: Krita
Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping"): GIMP
Ebook Viewer: Okular
Image viewer, organizer, basic editing and video previewer: GThumb
Music Tags and metadata: Easytag
Music Player: DeaDBeeF, or Audacious with a Winamp skin
Media Center (online radio, watch and download tv shows and movies): Kodi (XBMC)
Video Player: VLC, or MPV
Video editing: Cinelerra-cv or OpenShot
Video Transcoding: Handbrake
Video compositing: Natron
Screencasting: Open Broadcaster Studio
Password manager: KeePassX
Laptop powersaving: PowerTOP and TLP
Office Suite: WPS Office, or LibreOffice
Desktop publishing (like a pro): Scribus
Document processor (academic papers): LyX
Flashcards: Anki
Graphing calculator: GraphMonkey
Counter RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury): Workrave
Typing training: Klavaro
System monitor: Conky, GKrellM or HardInfo
Virtual Machine: Virtualbox
To launch photoshop and play gaymes: WINE, with winetricks and playonlinux
Download Manager (download videos from youtube, other sites, any file from file sharing sites, with autologin and captcha solver): JDownloader
Torrent: Transmission-gtk
Burning CD/DVD: Xfburn
File Manager: PCManFM
File manager featured in Jurassic Park: fsv (File System Visualizer)

This is how you invite people in, by showing them they can have what they need.
>>
>>61812966
mspaint
>>
>>61812966
Vulcan is crossplatform and better than DX12 so all games will be soon.
>>
>>61819804
>>61820312
I know, I have to use a mac at work. That isn't Pages though.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.