[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a CS major working towards my BS. I don't want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Penguins.jpg (760KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760KB, 1024x768px
I'm a CS major working towards my BS. I don't want to be a software developer or code monkey. What are some other things I can do? Should I continue to graduate school to open up more options?
>>
Teach.

But why the fuck are you studying computer science if you don't want to do computer science?
>>
>>61780078
networking, deployment of software, general maintenance is always needed if you like that shit.

I dunno about OS schools but here we part at two on both CS and engineering. You either start making shit or you start with maintenance. From my class we all parted in that way so many are welll making shit like me or are typical network engineers and what not
>>
>>61780115
>if you don't want to do computer science?
I do want to do computer science. I just don't want to build lame web apps for random companies or something. I am strongly considering continuing onto graduate school, because I want to be involved in academic research and related work
>>
heh in related news, I don't understand how this is even possible. But a bird told me on my ear here just now, that a 7 year old kid somehow had managed to take his parents car and drove it towards the city, with the police following him for over 2km before they were able to stop him.

WTF, he must have been standing and driving. A 7 yo can't even look over wheel while sitting down and most certainly no reach the gas, clutch and breaks

This has to get to the news
>>
>>61780172
>I just don't want to build lame web apps for random companies or something
Then go to grad school

t. PhD student
>>
>>61780220
Det er i nyhetene din fjott.

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/7-aring-kjorte-alene-fra-linderud-til-bjerke-i-oslo/68572282
>>
>>61780256
>PhD student
can you tell me a bit about what you do, and what you plan to do after?
>>
>>61780078
Get a Sec+, Linux+, LPIC1, CASP and then eventually a CISSP and enter the world of infosec
>>
>>61780078
>I'm a CS major working towards my BS.

Perfect. Because computer science is bullshit.
>>
>>61780265
>can you tell me a bit about what you do
I work on a government funded project in collaboration with a company that make PCIe-based interconnects. The main idea is to try to unify PCIe as an IO bus with how you can create a shared memory architecture, so I work on some different concepts with this, for example allowing multiple computers in a cluster share IO devices concurrently.

I did work full time during most of my master's though, so I already had some industry experience. Right after my master's, I began working at a company that made networking probes for IPTV providers, but the company was badly ran and after 6 months I decided to go back to do a PhD.

>and what you plan to do after?
If I don't get a job offer at the company I collaborate with (which I'm pretty sure I will), I will probably go the US and try my luck there.
>>
Go to graduate school then either:
a) research
b) teach

I would highly recommend A.
Defense companies spend tons on R&D. I would start there.
>>
Bumparooni
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.