[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Usage statistics or "Telemetry" is a feature in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

>Usage statistics or "Telemetry" is a feature in Firefox that sends Mozilla usage, performance, and responsiveness statistics about user interface features, memory, and hardware configuration. Your IP address is also collected as a part of a standard web log. Usage statistics are transmitted using SSL and help us improve future versions of Firefox. Once sent to Mozilla, usage statistics are aggregated and made available to a broad range of developers, including both Mozilla employees and public contributors. When Telemetry is enabled, certain short-term experiments may collect information about visited sites.

>This feature is turned on by default in Nightly and Beta/Developer Edition builds of Firefox to help those users provide feedback to Mozilla. In the general release version of Firefox, this feature is turned off by default.

I don't get you people, you cry and moan about chrome being a botnet but you have no problems with this and even recommend nightly.

>just turn it off

That just beats the purpose of making a developer build available to the public (getting feedback), it's like joining a private tracker but not seeding, it's not only unethical but illogical.
>>
>>61767718
This is too much logic for /g/ to handle

but muhhhh privacy
>>
File: 1480333899809.png (141KB, 842x476px) Image search: [Google]
1480333899809.png
141KB, 842x476px
No idea what you're talking about :^)
>>
Are you implying mozilla has jewgle tier designs with your data? If you can't trust an organization with an ethical track record and advocate for privacy with your data then you're simply a pol tier autist with underlying social issues
>>
>>61767900
t. MozCorp shill
>>
>>61767957
>muh top secret ram specs
kys lolbetarian
>>
What's wrong with trusting Mozilla with my data? As far as I know they're pretty ethical and one of the "good" companies.
>>
I used to be a botnet user for everything including stored passwords in sync etc
Now I do the same but with Firefox Sync. OP may be a dip and a bit paranoid but I think after all we've seen in the last 7 years, being a little paranoid doesn't hurt. Basically don't be too trusting of mozzila even though they are the good guys today.
>>
"Advanced users" turning off Telemetry is the reason why features like Tab Groups get removed. Turning off Telemetry is one of the first things that they do with a fresh install.

The average user doesn't even install one extension and they make up a very slight majority. So Telemetry is on for them. Mozilla looks at the data and sees only data coming in from them and things that no one uses "advanced features" and so they remove them.
>>
>>61768177
wow, i h8 advanced """power""" users now!!
>>
>>61767718
Wow I wonder why telemetry would be enabled on a nightly version... surely it must be because of some nefarious scheme... got my brain muscles running...
>>
>>61767718
its the same people that were fine with win10 insider collecting screenshots and logging all keys you pressed and all programs you use.
>>
>>61768032
Just make sure to not have any controversial opinions, goy. Firefox is not a platform for hate speech and such content will be forwarded to the relevant authorities.
>>
>>61767718
I know exactly what it collects and I'm ok with it.
What's the problem?
>>
>>61767718
>I don't get you people, you cry and moan about chrome being a botnet but you have no problems with this and even recommend nightly.
Because you can disable telemetry in nightly. Is this too hard for your sub 70 IQ brain to comprehend?
>That just beats the purpose of making a developer build available to the public (getting feedback), it's like joining a private tracker but not seeding, it's not only unethical but illogical.
No one gives a shit, the point is, you are given an option with nightly, and you are given none with chrome.

What a fucking retarded post, go back to /v/eddit pleb.
>>
>>61768300
Problem is: in Windows 10 or Chrome, you don't know what it sends back. In nightly you agree to a list of things that get sent to Mozilla and you can Check if they really only send those things.
In the case of Windows they can (and do) send everything they can.
>>
>>61768836
>Because you can disable telemetry in nightly.
Unethical/illogical

>you are given none with chrome
You literally have the same op-out option, they ask before even downloading. And unlike Firefox , Chrome doesn't claim to collect your IP or the websites you visit (google probably already does that, but that's not a browser feature)
>>
>>61769093
>Unethical/illogical
Can't tell if bait or retarded.
>>
>>61768254
You should wondering if the nature of botnet related complaints on /g/ stem from a genuine concern about privacy or simply fanboyism (ie sending my data is only a problem if I don't trust the receiving party).

>le turn it off
How's that different from doing the same on chrome (not even chromium)?
>>
>>61769202
Unethical if you agreed to do it, illogical if the purpose of a developer build is to get tested and obtain feedback
>>
>>61768754
Again, same could be said about chrome users. How can someone be outraged when google does it, but be ok with Mozilla doing the same?

>I know exactly what it collects
Doesn't make a difference, botnet related accusations are not about what you choose to share but the act of sharing information on itself

>I trust Mozilla
Once more, botnet related accusations are not about whether you trust that particular botnet or not, but becoming part of one.
>>
>>61769465
B-B-But Moz://a is my greatest ally! They only want to collect data to make Firefox the super best most cool epic awesome browser it can be!
>>
>>61769465
>the act of sharing information on itself
Even /g/ has some sane limits.
By your definition all linux package managers are botnet because you're sharing information every time you install a package.
>>
Chromefags sure are getting pretty desperate now Nightly outperforms their botnet. Sad.
>>
>>61769523
>>61769093
>>61768704
>>61767748
>>61769465
how many rupees are you getting for this thread, raj?
>>
File: fat_bugs.png (228KB, 245x458px) Image search: [Google]
fat_bugs.png
228KB, 245x458px
It makes sense to turn telemetry on in nightly/dev/beta, seeing as the browser is made as a testing front for Mozilla in the first place.

Furthermore, Mozilla literally tells you what it is and whether or not it's turned on by default, which is pretty great compared to other browsers like chrome.

To clarify, I'm not even a Firefox user, I use palemoon, so I have no reason to purposefully shill for Mozilla, I'm just stating facts.
>>
File: poo in the megaloo.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
poo in the megaloo.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>61770376
But Moz://a is the company of third world street shitters, anon.
>>
Mozilla does not respect freedom at all, they even fired a high level executive based on their personal opinions that they never dragged into the company's management.
>>
>>61770594
*he never
>>
>>61770166
Post is meant to be understood in the context of web browser discussion, similarly botnet is not a strict definition but hyperbolic speech
>>
>>61770262
If this where a matter of performance I'd have made a thread about performance, there's almost as many tests where one browsers outperforms every other as browsers there are so each one can derive their self-esteem from selectively informed consumer choices and group identification.
>>
>>61770498
>Internet for niggers,
>on smartphones
>>
>>61767748
>"logic"
>hurrrr why does this test release collect debugging information by default this is an outrage hurrdur i never expected this dont tell me to turn it off
>>
It's very understandable that the Mozilla foundation would want to collect anonymized data to help improve the nightly builds of Firefox. The data is anonymized, and is used to actually improve the browser. Mozilla is non-profit, Google is for-profit. Use you head.

On the political "drama" that constantly seems to sweep these threads:
It's absolutely maddening that people keep spewing this nonsense about Mozilla's political leaning, and screeching about how "freedom is being violated" because a man left the Mozilla foundation of his own free will. I don't judge software over stupid, irrelevant trash such as internal politics. To do so is extremely silly. Judge the software by how well it actually works, not by how it aligns with your political ideology. Go by facts, not feelings, if that is what you are so intended on preaching about. Thank you.
>>
Just use Brave you niggers
>>
>>61771056
>It's absolutely maddening that people keep spewing this nonsense about Mozilla's political leaning, and screeching about how "freedom is being violated" because a man left the Mozilla foundation of his own free will.
>left the Mozilla foundation of his own free will

That's a lie and you know it. For anyone who's interested, read up on Brendan Eich. SJWs basically forced him to resign from a company he founded.
>>
>>61771028
I'm unconcerned by what your privacy settings are. What I'm criticizing is the fundamental contradiction of enthusiastically adopting and recommending a browser that sends telemetry by default while you disqualify other browsers non-firefox for doing the same. The fact that you can turn it off, that you are being informed about what data you send or that you trust mozilla makes no difference in the context of the argument I'm describing for the reasons above stated. It really baffles me so many people fail to grasp the point of this thread. Either you are being deliberately provocative or for all the talk about programming on /g/ you haven't mastered the most important language of them all, human.
>>
>>61767718
>nightly
>it's a testing
>to test
>test
>it's literal purpose is to see how users interact with it and how it can be improved before official release
God fucking damn it OP
>>
>>61769093
>Chrome doesn't claim to collect your IP or the websites you visit
>Source: My ass
>>
>>61771523
I'm not saying it doesn't (it might), but it doesn't say it does. It speaks only speaks of data, and it can also be turned off (or install it with that function disabled by default).
>>
File: happy merchant.gif (11KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
happy merchant.gif
11KB, 501x504px
>>61768032 >>61767900
/g/ood /g/oy
>>
buncha fud-niggers in here
>>
>>61771611
What good, pray tell, do you think any browser-related data would be without knowing where the fuck that data comes from ?
Of course Chrome collects the sites you visit as well as something (e.g. your IP) to identify your instance of Chrome.
>>
>>61771724
Mozzed
>>
wtf i hate firefox now

installing Google™ Chrome™ right now.
>>
>>61767718
Why are my legacy addons still available in 57?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (11KB, 280x244px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
11KB, 280x244px
wtf is this gay shit
give me the old icon back
>>
>>61769261
Mozilla uses the data collected in Nightly for developing and testing purposes(you know, the purpose of nightly/beta software), Google uses the data collected by Chrome to sell it to the jews, as evidenced also by the fact it's turned on even on stable branches, unlike on Firefox. And no, you can't actually turn it off on Chrome.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.