[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi Bros, so I'm in a pickle, I have a 24TB Dell server (forgot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 5bay-front-header.png (53KB, 308x322px) Image search: [Google]
5bay-front-header.png
53KB, 308x322px
Hi Bros,
so I'm in a pickle, I have a 24TB Dell server (forgot which model) and all the slots are full and maxed out (RAID 6).

Is getting a Drobo just to archive stuff from this server a good idea to put on the same network? Or is Synology better?

Looking to expand maybe 16TB additional of space via RAID 5 on a DROBO or a Synology.

Any recommendations appreciated it.

Thanks
>>
>>61757701
No, its a retarded idea. Drobos and Synologies are shitboxes. They'll die after a few years because they use Intel Atoms which have serious known issues. Even if they didnt it would still be retarded. You should just buy a HBA/RAID card with external SAS ports, or a internal to external SAS adapter bracket and a disk shelf. It will be cheaper and better and you'll get far more expansion capability.
>>
>>61757768
>HBA/RAID card

OOh that's a hot idea actually.

My server (T320 just found out) has a hardware RAID card already with SAS ports in the back (I think there's 2).

Would you recommend an external SAS box to connect this to?

Maybe in the future I can expand the DELL server but I have to move like 20TB of stuff and then replace drives and then copy it back to the server which is a pain.
>>
>>61757829
>My server (T320 just found out) has a hardware RAID card already with SAS ports in the back (I think there's 2).
Then that'll save you $50.

>Would you recommend an external SAS box to connect this to?
Whatever is cheap on ebay. Just be aware that anything is 3gbps SAS1 will likely only support 2TB disks, so look for something which is 6gbps SAS2. You can also find eSAS cables on there for cheap. You can also daisy chain multiple disk shelfs together.

Be aware that it'll probably be loud with fans which dont do speed control, so be prepared to replace them.

Alternatively if you want to build something which can be repurposed in the future, go find some Super Micro chassises with SAS expanders (not with the direct connect backplanes), buy internal to external sas brackets, the cabling and part number CSE-PTJBOD-CB1. Should you ever want a 2nd server in the future all you'll have to do is replace the CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 card with a motherboard/cpu/ram.

>Maybe in the future I can expand the DELL server but I have to move like 20TB of stuff and then replace drives and then copy it back to the server which is a pain.
wut?
>>
>>61757701
>drobo
No.
>freenas
Now we're talking.
>>
>>61757768
Only 5 models have the atom bug which makes them die after 2 years, and all of them are from 2015

Stop sprouting bullshit fucking shill, OP just get a Synology, you wont regret it
>>
>>61757871
Thanks!

So would something like this work:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111471&cm_re=sas_enclosure-_-16-111-471-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111476&cm_re=sas_enclosure-_-16-111-476-_-Product

Or should I get something as expensive as this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3913UN3425&cm_re=sas_enclosure-_-16-133-044-_-Product

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-MD1400-Storage-Array-2x-12GB-Controllers-w-12x-4TB-7-2K-SAS-HDD-/192265441472?hash=item2cc3e9d0c0:g:qNAAAOSw8GtZQD-I

And will my Dell HBA/RAID card be bottlenecked if I run the external RAID array in RAID 5 mode?
>>
>>61759744
What about a Gen8 or Gen10 HP MicroServer with a Xeon proc?

I have a MicroServer at another location (kinda old) and it's still kicking well.
>>
>>61759935
These seem to work fine as well, it's a more expensive solution but if you have one up for grabs I'd say go for it
>>
>>61760033
Yeah the one I have is running on an old ass AMD CPU and it's for home use.

It seems to be a more expensive solution, especially the Xeon ones. I'd like to keep it all (with drives) under $1000.
>>
>>61757701
Time to get a rack like a big boy
>>
>>61760058
Its gonna be hard to aim for 16TB and stay under 1000$ if youre planning on having redundancy. You would need like 5x4TB in Raid5, these cost like 650 euro already.

With the remaining cash I'd personally buy a used 5 bay Synology
>>
>>61757701
>(forgot which model)
Why don't you just look at the case?
>>
>>61760083
Kek, it's for a home production and I'm running out of 24TB space.

>>61760163
I plan to get the Hitachi Deskstar 4TB NAS drives, so if I get 5 of them and RAID 5 it, I'll have 16TB usable space. Each one is $118 right now.

5x4TB Hitachi NAS = $590
SAS Enclosure: ~$450

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sans-Digital-TR8X-B-8-Bay-SAS-SATA-JBOD-Storage-Enclosure-Black-/112416438944?epid=1800495244&hash=item1a2c8abaa0:g:RbgAAOSwaEhZI7sT

My Dell T320 has 2 SAS external ports already.

Any thoughts?

>>61760190
Now I'm home and took a look. It's the T320.
>>
File: jer01nov14BAZ[1].jpg (145KB, 1500x1054px) Image search: [Google]
jer01nov14BAZ[1].jpg
145KB, 1500x1054px
>>61759744
>He thinks the goldmonts & revised silvermonts won't suddenly and mysteriously selfdestruct right after their successor has been released.
>>
Here's the RAID controller I have on the Dell:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-perc-h710-spec-sheet.pdf

PS. I'm a dumbass and don't know a lot about running servers.
>>
>>61760258
t. idiot
>>
RAID is not backup.
>just a heads-up.
>>
>>61760588

which raid
>>
>>61760623
Any RAID.
>>
>>61760631

wrong
>>
>>61760588
>>61760631
True. Offsite backups are worth it.

But I've been pretty happy with RAID6 for years. 2 redundancy drives are a plus.

Obviously if you have some serious shit going on do offsite backups.
>>
>>61760964
Also
http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

For critical data I wouldn't consider anything else but RAID60 or RAID7 depending on the size of the array (plus backup).
>>
>>61761094
What kind of a shitty article is that?

If you use Enterprise HDDs, you're good desu. Especially with RAID6.
>>
Planning an old microserver to go with my primary storage server. Buy another two 4TB drives, so I can have 4 in raidz. Should be enough to backup the 12TB volume in my server. The content is fairly static, so I don't think snapshots will eat up too much space. I honestly have no need to backup all of it, since it's only some anime and movies anyways, but downloading that stuff again sounds like a pain.
>>
Daily reminder that if you don't use ZFS + ECC, you might as well just use a couple 10TB HDDs either internally or externally.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.