[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Putting the AIO aside, how will the regular Vega do next Summer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: vega-26.jpg (60KB, 602x339px) Image search: [Google]
vega-26.jpg
60KB, 602x339px
Putting the AIO aside, how will the regular Vega do next Summer? Since the shit only has one fan do you think it'll heat up and burn your houses quickly or will it do fine? Very tempting to snatch one when it releases, but seeing how it has one fan fucks everything up
>>
>>61757253
I'm very tempted.

My current graphics card is the AMD 6950 (circa 2010). The performance has obviously degraded but I've been waiting to see how Gsync/Freesync pan out, and I was broke. AMD dropped support this year and I have the cash so I'm ready to upgrade. But Nvidia's cards are ancient. Gotta wait for the next generation. Or get another AMD card, but that's a sinking ship.

Will Nvidia respond at the 1070 price point? soon? Does that even matter when you factor in the additional cost of Gsync over Freesync? Are monitors settled to a point where I can safely disregard HDR? Is an affordable high refresh rate 4k monitor a possibility (as a second for gaming)?

Buying now is risky, but monitor tech moves glacially. Opportunity cost?
>>
>>61757253
you assume that for a year there will be no AIB cards on the market to buy?
>>
As far as housefire concerns go, the only one you might really have to worry about is one you probably won't get because it's one that is only a rumor at this point, and that is a modern version of the Asus Rog Ares. (the old one featured two GPU's on one card)

Having two Vega's on one PCB might be OK if you have a very good water cooling setup, but a potential TDP of 600+ might frighten most people away.
>>
>>61758561
given this is suppose to appese the sli communtiy 600w is alot lower than a dual 1080ti set up plus all the OC on both.

But as a single card I can accept tht most people will not buy it for 2 reasons

1. its going to be prohibbitively expenise just like ther produo

2. its TDP =/= power draw (TDP = heat outout disspatied)

that is not overall power draw
there need to be a total Power Draw or TPD

the TDP is a stupid idea. who the fuck cares about heat dissipatied for fucks sake.
>>
>>61758629
>2. its TDP =/= power draw (TDP = heat outout disspatied)
>that is not overall power draw
Maybe you should check the laws of thermodynamics. I don't see a video card converting electric energy to any other type than heat, so 600W electric in = 600W heat out.
>>
File: HowtogetTDP.png (10KB, 868x105px) Image search: [Google]
HowtogetTDP.png
10KB, 868x105px
>>61758678
I did anon

you got your numbers wrong.
pic related is the equation you use to get tdp and also used to get how much power is used.

Protip if you can't into math you wount understand.
>>
>>61757426
Given the rumors that the new cards will have amazing mining capabilities for crypto, it is quite likely they will be out of stock if it's even half as true as rumours suggest. If that's the case you should find a few seconds hand cards really cheap from the 4-500 series in and or maybe some 1070's. Likely these cards will not perform too well in gaming given shown benchmarks. Hopefully they will improve the benchmarks with drivers and final design changes. the best time to upgrade will be when Nvidia released their next set and and is forced to lower prices on Vega in response.

Gsync has a ridiculous cost in comparison to freesync, remember to do your comparisons with GPU And monitor when comparing.
>>
>>61757253
forget Vega then, spring 2018 Volta comes out and then probably 1160 will have same performace at 100W.

>buying reference AMD after 290X jet turbine with 60dB, 95C hot in games
>Vega is 290X all over again, with 300WTDP
never ever again

t. 290X owner
>>
>>61758678
>I don't see a video card converting electric energy to any other type than heat, so 600W electric in = 600W heat out.

That is generally true, but you forget there is some loss in such conversions, hence the term "efficiency".
But for graphic cards loss is rather small.
>>
>>61758678
TDP is affected by the type of workloads and the type of cooler it's using.
>>
>>61762339
>TDP is affected by the type of workloads
true

>and the type of cooler it's using
not true.
Better cooler spreads heat away from card, but the card still make 300W no matter wat cooler you put on it.
Its the other way around - cooler is selected/built based on TDP - card with 100W TDP doesnt as powerful coller as card with 300W TDP.
>>
>>61761538
>but you forget there is some loss in such conversions
Which is converted to heat
>>
I want to get one and will probably do custom loop eventually
>>
Custom cards like the Asus Strix are releasing "in early september" according to them, I expect the other manufacturers will follow suit, so just wait for those and buy one. Don't buy a reference card, the Vega 64 card will run hot as hell so you want good cooling on it, dunno about the 54 tho. I expect it'll be similar-ish, although not quite as bad.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.