[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this shit actually work? The pringles antenna? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: moving.png (29KB, 285x432px) Image search: [Google]
moving.png
29KB, 285x432px
Does this shit actually work? The pringles antenna?

I'm moving in to a new place and won't have internet for a month, but there's a faint unsecured wifi network coming from my neighbours house. He's an old geezer, so probably has had his grandson or someone set up his wifi for easy connection.
>>
Yeah, it can work if you look it up online. Technically the Pringles can isn't the antenna (antennas need to be specially tuned for frequencies). The can acts as a waveguide for an antenna.
>>
>>61707421
What would work best if I don't know what specific direction the signal is coming from; a spaghetti strainer or a pringles can?
>>
>>61707370
>He's an old geezer
Beard and thick glasses? In that case he's probably some kind of old school unix hacker, and you're about to link to a honeypot.
>>
>>61707452
Japanese university professor living in bumfuck nowhere. Doubt it.
>>
you'll need a high wattage receiver like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-high-sensitivity-802-11b-g-n-high-power-wireless-USB-adapter-blueway-wifi-usb/1743461105.html

i doubt this shit actually works either due to free space loss or simply the guy shall use at least half of the bandwidth when connected at his home

the only thing you'll get with a pringles can is more directionality but the can isn't really the proper size for wifi waves
>>
File: antenna.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
antenna.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>>61707487
That thing takes too long to arrive.

Could I do something like this with a USB wifi antenna and 3m of cable? I'd mount it on a stick that I then hoist out the window.
>>
>>61707624
if you hook the stick on a post or fence that is like 2-3 meter away from his front door yeah probably
>>
File: map.jpg (43KB, 425x442px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
43KB, 425x442px
>>61707672
Okay, so here's how it works:

>If I sit in the windowstill of the window with wifi, I can connect with my phone on 1-2 bars of connection
>no connection in the garden due to the sheet metal fence
>no connection inside my house due to the walls, I suppose
>down on the hillside I have great connection

Thoughts?
>>
>>61707776
get one of those apps like wifi analyzer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer and also do a speed test

"1 bar" sounds like barely connecting, check if it's at least -70 dBm (and beneath it, forget it)
>>
>>61708112
I don't need to do anything but shitpost which I can when sitting in the windowsill, but I'd like to do it in the comfort of a chair in the room.
>>
How about you dont live in a third world shithole and buy 4G without data caps?
>>
>>61708457
Good luck getting that in Japan.
>>
>>61708426
if you can get wifi at the windowsill you could just place an old laptop there, which will pick up the wifi and then share it through its ethernet port (pretty trivial to set up with linux)

you could also get something like pic related (you can find them up to a few meters long (a few dollars each)) to replace the antennas in the laptop and some cheap 50 cent antennas to attach to the end.

i had to use a set up like this recently when i was trying to get wifi from the house into a shed about 5m away, with steel sheet on the outside and cement sheet on the inside. i drilled a hole through the window frame and stuck one of those cables out through it with an antenna on the end and got full signal where before there was none.
>>
>>61707370
just use your phone you leech
>>
File: 1501760725269.jpg (138KB, 1706x959px) Image search: [Google]
1501760725269.jpg
138KB, 1706x959px
This should work.

I'll cut a hole in the lid and glue a 5m USB cable to it, then insert a wifi dongle and point it out the window.
>>
File: 41wkOVBov6L._SL1001_.jpg (27KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
41wkOVBov6L._SL1001_.jpg
27KB, 1001x1001px
Should I get a dongle with an antenna, or is it moot with a setup like this?
>>
>>61707370
you can always make a directional yagi antenna tho
>>
there was a thread about this on fullch last week, I dunno if it's still up
>>
>>61707370
cantenna ffs.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.