[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Java. It is one of the few programming languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: java.png (7KB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
java.png
7KB, 259x259px
Redpill me on Java.

It is one of the few programming languages I know and it is, in my opinion, the most enjoyable and powerful of the ones I am familiar with. Please tell me why you all seem to hate it, genuine question, if it's shit I want to know.
>>
Use Kotlin. It's exacly like Java, but it's not shit
>>
too big overhead for hello world, fizzbuzz and other little "look how few lines I need to write" programs
>>
>>61682058
But I don't really see how this could be a disadvantage, I mean it's not like hello world programs are actually meaningful in any way.
>>
>>61682157
that's the most advanced "programs" that most people on /g/ can write, they don't get to the point where Java actually shines
>>
I hate type erasure.
I hate the mistakes in early APIs which can't be changed due to backwards compatibility.
I hate the way every framework uses reflection to work around the lack of proper abstractions.
I hate all the String-ly typed libraries.
I hate AOP proxies and bytecode magic.
I hate the poor support for unsigned numeric types.
I hate slow classpath-scanning dependency injection.
I hate mutable dates.
I hate checked exceptions which should be unchecked.
I hate every method that throws IOException unnecessarily.
I hate the fallout from the community's love affair with XML.
I hate all the APIs which force me to cast Objects. Especially JDBC.
I hate raw types.
I hate nullability by default.
I hate covariant arrays.
I hate Service Discovery.
I hate that the primary method of optimisation is twisting your code in knots to avoid allocations.
I hate SecureRandom defaulting to /dev/random, and the hacks required to use /dev/urandom
I hate Java Update Scheduler.

I hate every obscure bit of trivia that Java has forced into my brain, and I hate that it's now the programming language I'm most comfortable in.
>>
>>61681727
>Redpill me on ...

GTFO
>>
>>61682257
Elaborate for the uninitiated
>>
>>61682833
Java is good for large scale applications. Many "back end" web systems from large companies are written in it. Read about the Spring framework.
>>
>>61681727
Java is fine. There was a lot of shilling from Microsoft 10 years ago against Java while pushing C#, but they've given up on that after making it open source.

You'll probably also hear people complaining about Oracle's JRE on Windows being a security hole and coming bundled with adware. They're right, but why would you ever use that if you have Linux and OpenJDK?
>>
>>61682879
Gotcha
>>
It's the National Programming Language of India.
>>
>>61683079
My company is working on reimplementing a major bank's back office processing using offshore Java developers.
Billions of dollars will be managed by code such as
public static final Object C = "c";
>>
Legacy Java is ugly. Java 8 is quite enjoyable. The new spring is also quite good.
Must-have libraries include lombok and guava.
After experiencing Django for 2 years I can appreciate how easy it's to write unit tests for code using dependency injection in Java.
>>
File: 1470303870555.png (599KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
1470303870555.png
599KB, 640x446px
sir?
>>
>>61682879
This, living that comfy spring backend life. Even when queueing from jms and rabbit shit is chill and easy
>>
>>61682652
U sound like a lad who should just end it already
>>
Java's not too bad nowadays. Before SE 6, it was a shitshow, though. If you're learning it, books typically describe classes, abstract classes, and interfaces in the dumbest fucking ways. No unsigned types, the 'File' class, and and trying to manage your memory manually all fuck out in the weirdest ways, too.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.