[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of moving to The Bay Area™ for job oppor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

I'm thinking of moving to The Bay Area™ for job opportunities, and doing a craigstlist apartment search like I used to in college on the East Coast.

You can do a simple search and find quite a few apartments right around silicon valley for not even $500/mo:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/hhh?excats=40-1-58-22-22-1&min_price=200&max_price=500&availabilityMode=0

What's the catch with these shits? I thought housing prices in SF were like $4000/mo. Is it possible to fake it till you make it in SV on the relatively cheap?
>>
As soon as I posted this, I realized it might be better suited for >>/trv/. But I'd like /g/'s opinion on whether it's worth it to try & be a dreamer in the technology memecapital of the world.
>>
I think one of the major catches is actually being able to get a job within the area, should probably lock that down before considering living arrangements.
>>
>>61649636
All I see are rooms for rent for $500.
>>
>>61649789
Well ok, even anything less than $1k though is dramatically lower than I expected. $400-500 is the norm in my old college town in the middle of bumfuck, nowhere.
>>
Those are rooms you fucking idiot. You'll be living with a bunch of smelly and noisy Pajeets and Changs stuffed 4 to a room in a small apartment.
>>
>>61649837
To be fair, gouging college students for shitty accommodations is a big business. Especially for international students since their parents will pay for the place without even seeing it. Then they get there and turns out they rented a crackshack for $500.

I'm also in a college town, and the apartments surrounding the college are slumlord central.
>>
>>61649636
Try looking at stuff down south near Cupertino, Mountain View and Palo Alto. A lot of major tech companies are situated there. There's no reason to live in San Francisco with the homeless shitting on your doorstep if you're just going to have to commute out.
>>
>>61649636
If you actually click on them you'll see those prices are per week or you're sharing a room.
>SV
Silicon Valley is the south bay.
>>
off topic thread
>>
>>61649858
this is true. im 60 miles north of sf and there are people who live here making 6 figures and they commute to sf for work because they cant afford to live there.
>>
File: friendly-creepy-guy.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
friendly-creepy-guy.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
>>61649636
>click link
first listing:
>GUY Looking for lady to share room, available NOW
>the room is in garage, stay in upper bunk bed in SAME room,
>please introduce yourself in detail with first and last name, with your contact info and phone #
>140 sq ft
>rent negotiable
hmm...
>>
>>61649636
Just do not do it. Work remotely.
>>
Thanks guise, it's more of a tentative idea, I'm still not really sure if I want to go out there. Probably won't honestly, it just sounded like a really good idea because of the opportunities. But I think I'd be better off just networking moar, in any area at all, there have to be plenty of similarly-inspired minds all around the US if I'm willing to go all the way to SF.
>>
>>61649636
Just make absolutely sure you're white.
>>
>>61649636
my single bed room apartment is $3000/mo.
>>
Don't come here. We don't need any more people taking tech jobs. It's already over saturated as fuck.
>>
>>61651895
>remote
nice dreams my man
>>
>moving to one of the most expensive regions in the US before having a job offer

This is the dumbest fucking thing you could possibly do, OP. Get a job offer first, before you go out and commit to a yearlong $1500/month lease.
>>
File: w5J1-S8x.jpg (29KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
w5J1-S8x.jpg
29KB, 401x401px
>>61649636
kill yourself
>>
>>61649636
I couldn't understand what even happened to this city in terms of planning when I visited. Rent and housing prices are through the roof simply because every residential building is max two stories.

There isn't enough housing and prices are inflated because whoever planned this city is a fucking idiot. It also creates vast stretch of land that is dead because it only has housing and nothing else in terms of shops etc.

SF always seemed cool to me but after visiting it I realize it's fucking retarded
>>
>>61653425
>Get a job offer first, before you go out and commit to a yearlong $1500/month lease.
Hahahaha you sweet summer child, $1500/month will get a fucking ROOM in someone else's house.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.