[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to provide VPN services/TOR to countries where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1595.jpg (58KB, 768x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1595.jpg
58KB, 768x402px
What would it take to provide VPN services/TOR to countries where it was outlawed? Say you had the necessary financial backing to build a mobile server that you then placed inside of these blacklisted countries (say you snuck one into a major city inside North Korea and had on the ground support to maintain and run the server), what kind of technical limitations would you be looking at? How could you fly far enough under the radar that it was accessible to everybody yet avoided law enforcement in that country? Which laws would you be breaking by running what would essentially be a 'pirate' or illegal VPN?

Basically how would you provide unregulated internet access to groups of people who are without on a non-profit basis?
>>
I should also add, how would you do it in a way that kept the people using it and maintaining it safe?

Think the same libertarian premise of a darknet market but instead of selling drugs you were peddling free internet as a humanitarian effort?
>>
>>61645518
Wouldn't you need a new protocol. Or something which looks like http?
>>
>>61645518
Tor does this kind of thing, it's called bridges.
>>
>>61646287
What currently keeps a country like NK from preventing TOR usage then?

What kinda' protocol would be as secure if not moreso than TOR while remaining accessible to everyday people/people lacking access to information?
>>
>>61646354
Well with NK its because they don't let ordinary citizens on the internet, and they kill you and your family if they catch you doing it. If you're willing to cut communications altogether there's not much any protocol can do.

Anyway you're gonna have to be more specific with what you're asking about. Greater usability pretty much inherently leads to less security. Tor has already made some security compromises in the name of usability, actually. Most prominently the basic architecture that tries to keep latency down. That lets you use things like voip but it inherently makes you vulnerable to traffic correlation attacks by an adversary (like an intelligence agency) that can see large parts of the network all at once.
>>
>>61646463
I came across a Reddit discussion about 100 or so active Tor users from a few years ago. Someone mentioned that maybe they have their own server space that acts as a hub to the outside world. Basically I want to know what building a hub like that entails, how does it function, what kind of hardware would it need to ensure a flow of information to a walled off populace.

Basically I want to know how if you had the necessary funding, what it would take to establish a pipeline for these people to access basic information (unmonitored email, access to foreign news, etc) rather than things that seem more resource heavy (VoIP, torrenting).

More importantly, I want to know how you would keep the end user safe provided you had people on the ground in these countries that were willing to sacrifice their safety and wellbeing to maintaining and moving such a service around.
>>
>>61646605
Sorry, I meant that it was a discussion about how 100 people inside NK were connected through Tor through a server/network that was in-country.
>>
>>61646463
>Well with NK its because they don't let ordinary citizens on the internet

Somewhat dubious, but in one of the defectors interviews on Youtube, the defector told mobile calls were used to establish connection with the families back there. Of course, the calls can only happen through cell towers in China and both with the families back in NK they would have to be located pretty close the border. It's dubious because I haven't read of this before. There are however border towns on both sides so at least some signal communication can happen.
>>
>>61646605
you'd want something with libreboot to keep out people trying to abuse the intel me.
>>
>>61646605
>>61646622
They might be government-funded hackers.
>>
>>61646605
Moot point because the .001% of the population that aren't dirt farmers are being watched 24/7 so they don't do exactly what you're planning.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.