[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /g/, I'm planning on studying computer science at uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Sup /g/, I'm planning on studying computer science at uni and need a laptop. Money ain't an issue for me so I was looking at getting a macbook pro because I like the OS and how nice it feels to use. I'm just worried that OSX won't be able to run some software I might need to use, do all the main programs I'll encounter have mac versions?
>>
>>61638069
Just use Bootcamp or a virtual machine. Problem solved.
>>
I don't think you'll run into any problem with that. There's Visual Studio for Mac in case you're doing some .NET stuff.

Good luck friend
>>
>>61638087
>>61638104
Thanks for the inputs dues, I have little experience with all this stuff so I appreciate it. I'd hoped I could get away with not needing to dualboot as I feel it could get tedious having to switch between the two regularly
>>
>>61638139
you dont need dual boot with VM my homie.
>>
>>61638139
Just make sure you have plenty of space to run VMs
>>
do you guys think I'd have to use VMs regularly or will I be cool with OSX for the kinds of things I'll do? They mainly teach in java but I don't know much in terms of software.
>>
>>61638069
Make sure you don't get a model with the retarded touchbar if you're going to actually code.
>>
>>61638231
It just depends on your Computer Science program. I'm sure you can do the majority of your work on OSX.
>>
>>61638235
I thought you could put the function keys on it as well as esc what effect would it have on coding?
>>
>>61638231
You'll be fine. If your school is anything like mine as you get farther into the CS stuff you'll be using ssh to access the school's Linux machine for more advanced courses. Osx supports the ssh better than windows
>>
>>61638231
You probably won't need a VM unless you want to mess around with some linux distributions. In either case, VMWare Fusion is the best Mac app for managing VMs.
>>
>>61638269
You cant 'feel' the keys on the touchbar so you can't hit them without looking
>>
>>61638069
Oh look it's another "hey guys I'm a faggot dipshit retard kid what laptop should I buy for class!" thread
>>
File: banhatten dd.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
banhatten dd.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>61638342
yeah man welcome
>>
Just get a thinkpad/some business laptop, you dumb nigger hipster. Stacy isn't going to fuck you because you got a Mac
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.