[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /archivist/ here? I make sure to rip and crack all media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1473608646172.png (20KB, 506x606px) Image search: [Google]
1473608646172.png
20KB, 506x606px
Who /archivist/ here?
I make sure to rip and crack all media I consume and have over 20TB of archived TV, movies, music, games, books, audiobooks, basically any data form I can find
>>
>>61635246
Do you store it gradually or intentionally?
Do you actually consume the media you gathered?
>>
File: 2017-07-30-005032_1024x704_scrot.png (130KB, 1024x704px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-30-005032_1024x704_scrot.png
130KB, 1024x704px
sup
>>
>>61635669
Every form of media I've ever enjoyed is archived here, but 99% is stuff I've never consumed. It's nice to have it around because if someone recommends something to me I most certainly already have it.
>>
>>61635246
is it worth it though?
like.. i too have a script to archive my programming/ folder to back it up and to be able to look at my progress but that's a litle extreme i think
>>
>>61635840
I feel like the loss of media is one of the biggest threats to culture right now, as everything is so reliant on the internet being operable. If something were to happen to it having everything physical means that people will be able to enjoy the content for years to come.
>>
>>61635840
Archivists make the world go round.
Believe it or not, normalfag casuals today literally listen to music via youtube.
Nothing is forever, not even mega monopolies.
In 15 years when all the music they loved has disappeared, one of us will have their back.
You have no reason at all to believe that anything currently available will remain so beyond right now.
If you think something you've found is important and want it to exist in your life beyond the right now, the only sensible course of action is to ensure that it will be yourself.
Acquire, backup, and share, get as many copies out into the world as possible.
Yes, it's worth it.
>>
there is https://archive.org/web/ that does the same thing in a greater (i think) scale.
>>
>>61636034
What happens when you don't have access to the internet? Or something happens to their servers? And they don't legally-grey rip media like I do, I have thousands of games made DRM free archived.
>>
If it's crap quality or something popular then it gets deleted. I'm typically one of the ones doing the content ripping so I archive that stuff and nothing else. Right now it's 70GBs of music videos from satellite TV.
>>
>>61635246
I watch shit that I torrent and then encode while they are stored and played from my nas 5 tb now
>>
Archivists are the sole heroes of the digital age
>>
just got some of those dank 8TB easystore drives during that epic sale \o/
>>
>>61635246
I like to save anything I find interesting while browsing the internet.

I don't horde movies, since I don't watch them.
>>
does seeding the gentoomen library count
>>
>>61635246
Share it
>>
I run the Archive Team warrior most of the time and seed a lot of stuff on public trackers, specially things with few seeds
Though I don't have much storage and I'm poor so it's like just 2 TB on a 0.5 MBps up line
>>61639753
Yes
>>61636034
Backing up archive.org it's one of the greatest threats to culture preservation, along with websites updating robots.txt to ban archive.org (specially since archive deletes anything that was archived under the domain with the new robots file, even of the original owner outs long gone and the current owner it's some domain squatter)
>>
>>61635246
So do you store shit on tape or intend to move shit around before the drive dies?
>>
>>61638821
This. I don't hoard everything, just interesting shit which I won't be able to find again.
>>
How do you go about ripping something from Netflix
>>
If it's worth watching or reading more than once i keep it. You never know.
>>
File: 1367913163142.jpg (53KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
1367913163142.jpg
53KB, 704x396px
>archive.org seems to be down!
>>
Archivist or "archivist"? I always wanted to help actual archival of media so they don't get lost to time, but I dont know how. So far I only scanned a few mags I'm planning to host on archive.org
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.