[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you could delete a programming language from existence, which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8

File: 1499529411317.jpg (152KB, 500x700px)
1499529411317.jpg
152KB, 500x700px
If you could delete a programming language from existence, which one would it be?
>>
>>61617472
4chan
>>
>>61617472
Ruby. It brought too many hipsters into programming. JavaScript would be next.
>>
>>61617482
Wrong faggot, it's PHP.
>>
>>61617482
This.
My third would be python, that whole 2.7, 3, 3.5 bullshit is giving me cancer ontop of people making you install half a gig of libraries to compile their shit and thats only if youre lucky enough to use a linux application.
Yeah nvm actually fuck python.
>>
>>61617475
>>61617472
OP
>>
File: 1499320520452.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1499320520452.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>61617475
Fuck off, faggot
>>
javascript
>>
>>61617510
I don't care about PHP. If you don't use PHP it basically doesn't exist. PHP programmers don't continuously shit up other programming forums and spread shit like the agile manifesto. Ruby developers do. Constantly.
>>
File: what.gif (540KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
540KB, 500x200px
>>61617522
stay mad, cancer upon you
>>
>>61617472
The answer as to be Smalltalk.
>>
>>61617556
That's because they know it's a shit language.
>>
>>61617472
go
>>
COBOL

gonna crash the mortgage market, WITH NO SURVIVORS
>>
>>61617541
Dis^
>>
Javascript
>>
>>61617609
Languages that are dynamically typed are basically all shit. Arguing Ruby vs PHP is like two Pajeets arguing about whose street smells less like shit.
>>
>>61617594
Go back to tumblr
>>
>>61617472
C++
>>
>>61618726
Delete yourself
>>
>>61618726
delete this;
>>
None. Why the fuck would I want to remove all languages from existence? Even bad ones have something worth learning from.
>>
Lisp
>>
File: 1500461025064.jpg (67KB, 960x859px) Image search: [Google]
1500461025064.jpg
67KB, 960x859px
Good to see no one in this faggot thread said Java. It is embedded in most devices that you own. The JVM out numbers people on this planet.

>mfw Java is here to stay
>>
C++
>>
>>61617472
PHP
>>
>>61620500
As tedious as Java can be to write, it's successful for a reason.
>>
>>61620366
kek
>>
>>61620538
PHP is the only language ITT that I believe is a complete mistake. Maybe javascript too.
>>
python; it made bullshit high level (((programming))) a thing with the kids and I hate that.
>>
>>61617541

Correct answer.
>>
>>61617472
javascript
>>
>>61617472
Java.

Seriously no reason to use it.
>>
>>61620574
It's successful because it's versatile. Name a limitation to Java that isn't graphics related.
>>
>>61620621
Go on...
>>
>>61620629
It's successful because it lets pajeets shit out working code. All the verbosity just means it's easier for complete idiots to collaborate.
>>
assembly
>>
>>61620675
sage
>>
>>61620599
I think PHP is worse.

Javascript actually got somewhat tolerable to write in its newest versions.

PHP never will. The language is broken by design — because it was never designed. It just happened. Rasmus Lerdorf made it for himself and nobody else, so he didn't give a fuck about consistency or anything.

I mean, he used strlen as a hashing function for his function name map, this is why he deliberately used different naming (html_entities_decode, htmlentities) even in functions that came out at the same time.

The standard library is so full of broken, misnamed and useless things (that will never be removed or fixed because muh backwards compatibility) that to even use PHP today, you need to use libraries like Symfony's HTTP Foundation which re-implement what PHP can already do in a usable manner.

It's pathetic. The language was developed for one cause (web server applications) and yet every shitty general purpose language with an HTTP library is better at it.

PHP today, when used with composer, is basically just Java's retarded twin brother.
And then PHP developers somehow believe that PHP 7 has fixed everything with its shitty 1 type typehints...
as if.
>>
>>61617512
2.7 is deprecated.
Newest python is pretty good now.
>>
>>61620659
>lets pajeets shit out working code
Even though Indians need learn english in the first place just so they can program in Java. I'll still give you that without argument. But it's no reason why the language should be erased off the planet. It's useful, it's everywhere. It's already the past, present, and the future. Java is going nowhere whether you like it or now. It's the perfect middle ground between low and high level languages and it's already been spread across the globe.
>>
>>61620745
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate that the language exits at all. I don't find it fun to write personally but I'm glad it exists for the reasons that you set out.
>>
>>61620629
>Name a limitation to Java that isn't graphics related.
Lack of unsigned integers, lack of properties, lack of operator overloading.
>>
>>61620792
>lack of properties, lack of operator overloading.
These are pure convenience features. There's nothing you can do with these that you can't also do with a little boilerplate.
>>
>>61617472
Machine language

Let's return to 19th century
>>
Hebrew
>>
>>61620820
Yiddish
>>
>>61620799
Most feature are convenience features. Go start writing assembly.
>>
>>61620689
>PHP is broken because of inconsistent naming conventions

yeah it's bad if you're using the pejet functional calls
>>
>>61620843
PHP is broken because the entire language is riddled with inconsistency.
>>
>>61617472
JavaScript
>>
>>61617482
Why are so many fagots attracted to ruby?
>>
>>61617472
delete(this);
>>
>>61620839
We're not talking about assembly, we're talking about a OOP language with an emphasis on safety.
>>
>>61620853
>Kawaii programming language with kawaii name developed by a programmer from kawaii country

Fags are attracted to kawaiiness. Blame Japan.
>>
>>61617472
GOvno
>>
Python… the ecosystem is a fucking mess.

>pipfile? requirements.txt?
>eggs? wheels?
>setuptools? distutils?
>virtualenv?
>dependency hell (flat)

Also the online documentation for the official and third-party modules is ghastly and full of copypasta examples for the incoming graduates freshly trained in the Fisherpriceâ„¢ My First Programming language.
>>
Haskell, so neckbeards on /g/ will stop shilling an useless language.
>>
>>61620843
That was just one example. 2000 characters isn't nearly enough to name everything wrong with that language.

Also yes, it expects you to use that. There are usually no object oriented (let alone functional) equivalents to the standard library's functions in the PHP standard library.

The SPL (Standard PHP Library) was an attempt to introduce some useful classes, but many of them are either useless, broken or full of odd quirks, just like the rest of the language.
One of the most pathetic attempts are probabily the data stuctures they created. If they had been any good, we would have finally been able to say goodbye to the shitty PHP "array", which is actually either a vector or a hashmap and will transition between those two modes all the time without warning and then just behaving differently.
But we aren't. Instead, we have like 4 competing collection libraries now, so we constantly have to convert between arrays and those collections depending on the context.

To use PHP anything like a modern language today, you have to use autoloading and composer for package management.
But at that point, you may as well use a proper language. Other languages aren't as quirky and broken as PHP,/ have a standard library full of useful and predictable functions, classes and data structures, run faster, provide better paying jobs and fewer colleagues who only produce spaghetti and HTML&PHP mixes like it's 1999.
>>
democracy
>>
>>61617472
C. Not only is it incomplete itself, it was too influential on a series of other shit tier languages and OSes.
>>
>>61617601
Why? It's not like it really exist anyway?
>>
>>61617472
TeX
It serves its purpose well but the syntax is fucking garbage. There are attempts to rescue it like LuaTeX and ConTeXt but they're meh.
>>
>Ruby
>JavaScript
>PHP
>Python
>Smalltalk
>C++
>Lisp
>Java
>assembly
>Haskell
>C
Nothing wrong with any of these. What do you want?

>Go
I don't know this one so I can't tell. Looks like statically typed Lua with pointers, judging by demos on the website. I like pascal-style assignment operator.

>>61620379
This. /thread
>>
>>61622195
>I like pascal-style assignment operator.
That's not an assignment operator, it's a compact declaration.
var := val;
var : type = val;
>>
>>61622209
Oh.

I'll take a closer look at that language. Looks fun.
>>
>>61622195
>Nothing wrong with PHP
I have to call this into question.
>>
>>61617541
This would have the most positive effect on the world. All of a sudden thousands of numales and tublristas will go back to being unemployed and browsers will stop spying on the user. At least until something like lua is put into browsers instead.
>>
>>61620799
Lack of value types and the pathetic version of value types that they're planning has been delayed again to Java 11 at the earliest. Only Ruby is comparable when it comes to wasting memory.
>>
>>61617475
Fortran?
>>
>>61622406
I agree. Value types do enable something that is impossible in Java today. That's something which does more than save a few lines of boilerplate, unlike properties and operator overloading.
However I don't feel they're especially well integrated in languages that default to making everything references like C#. I prefer C and to a lesser extent C++'s way of making references an explicit modifier to the type.
What proposal are you talking about?
>>
>>61617472
>ctfl+f
>objective C
>no result
/g/ is dead
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 1024x512px
>>61622382
All of a sudden websites can no longer contain dynamic elements on the page. Single Page Applications cease to exist. Say goodbye to modern websites as you know them and say hello to the world of pre-2007.
>>
c
maybe Algol
fuck imperative
fuck objects
>>
>>61622716
This sounds amazing.
>>
>>61622633
It's one of the only object oriented languages that actually implement OOP correctly.
>>
>>61622762
lol?
>>
>>61622716
The web didn't go to shit because the web improved as a technology, the web went to shit because the pleb got internet access and the jewish companies followed him.

This turned the web into just another point of sale and advertising platform, and THAT fucked up everything.
If you want the web to return to its glory, kick out the pleb.
>>
COBOL
>>
>>61620500
It is an inefficient as fuck language that probably caused some natural disasters with all the extra pollution its low performance caused.
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 221x228px
>>61622795
are you sure you replied to the right post?
>>
>>61622824
The only thing that looks efficient next to Java is C or C++. Hotspot JVM is the best VM of its kind.
>>
>>61621266
Imagine the effects:
>no header files
>no weak typing
>no lack of adequate metaprogramming & type systems
>not being stuck with the garbage tier ABIs of these days
>95% less security holes of any kinds
>no retards implementing linked lists because that's all they know
>no magic global variables in libraries that make it impossible to use them more than once at a time
>no Java, C# and C++
>no JS, PHP, Python and other dynamic garbage, just because that is the easiest thing to interface with C
>no spergs implementing their minimal lisp on top of it, because they have to interface the underlying rich type system, a good incentive to make a proper language
>strong reduction of dynamic linking except for when it actually should be encouraged: native plugins instead of malicious scripting
>no UNIX and UNIX-influenced garbage tools like yacc, gettext, bash (the worst thing to happen to command line interfaces, so now it stagnates and is "only for hackers"), ad hoc text file configuration and external build systems
Damn, computing could be great.
>>
>>61622815

This is dying out anyway, even the hold outs are realizing it's cheaper to slowly convert instead of pay top dollar for old programmers.
>>
muslim
>>
>>61622906
Oh and by extension, no web browsers as we know them and a lot less of inner platform effect in general.
>>
J A V A S C R I P T

Most other bad languages can be avoided, including PHP. Java is possibly the exception, but I honestly believe Java isn't as bad as Javascript (or ECMAscript if you're into that). Javascript cancer, however, is every-fucking-where. It's getting off the web and into destkop applications.

People are unironically coding javascript that will get transpiled into javascript, which will then run in javascript backends handling requests from javascript frontends and using a javascript database system, in editors written in javascript running in a javascript engine written in javascript.

Also this post triggered the spam filter. Even gookmoot doesn't like javascript
>>
>>61617472
C
>>
C. It's damaged computing ecosystems beyond repair.
>>
>>61622988
PHP isn't a bad language.
>>
>>61623026
What's good about it?
>>
>>61623026
That only supports my argument (even though I don't agree with you).

Nuke javascript
>>
>>61623008
>>61623011

This. We could have had Lisp and SML machines. Instead we got decades worth of horrifically insecure C and bad object oriented languages with C like syntax. Now the same faggots are shoving Go out there which is the worst of all worlds.
>>
>>61623054
Lisp failed, get over it hipster.
>>
>>61617472
Ruby because it reminds me of anime
>>
>>61623063
This, and I even am with >>61623011

>>61623011
see >>61622906
>>
>>61622209
>var : type = val;
Not a Pascal but Ada guy. While this explanation sounds kinda neat, it's not true.
Declarations like
var : type = val;

can only be made in a declare block while assignments are made within the body of a procedure. These are strictly separated.
Also, in Ada it's
var : type := val;

The real origin of := is just math, where it's used as operator to define stuff.
>>
>>61617472
Basic
>>
>>61623254
They are explaining the meaning of
var := val
in Go, where it is short hand for
var : type = val
where type is now inferred, unlike Pascal/Ada
>>
>>61617472
.net
>>
>>61622716
But what is the downside?
>>
>>61624119
Flash and Quicktime containers will exist and simple animation interactive things might have platform dependent software. Also: RealPlayer.
>>
>>61624119
Also: ActiveX with Basic
>>
>>61617556
Nothing wrong with agile - it's just almost never applied in full by the groups who claim it.
>>
>>61620629
Awful and confusing tooling.

Single-handedly responsible for proliferating XML.
>>
>>61620981
A mess? Each of those things you mentioned serve a different purpose. Not the language's fault you're too retarded to spend ten minutes understanding it.

Also, virtualenv is an end run around shitty package managers and their insistence of only providing ancient versions of everything, and is a sane way to ensure your apps dependencies don't pollute your system or vice versa.
>>
>>61622716
>Single Page Applications cease to exist
Thank God.
>>
>>61622716
>implying pre-2007 internet was bad
>>
I like javascript but I wouldn't mind if angular2 went away. Sorry angular4. Sorry angular.io.

Fucking faggots can't make up their minds and nobody feels good using this shit because nobody knows when they're going to fucking abandon the project and do another radical change with angular5.
>>
ITT:
neckbeards who don't know the difference between a programming language and APIs provided by the W3C
>>
>>61624946
ITT: Neckbeards who desperately need a career threatening injury (i.e RSI, Carpal Tunnel)
>>
>>61622716
You're saying this as if it's bad, but 2007 is where everything went wrong.

"Haha! Enjoy living in a world before HIV, nuclear weapons and terrorism!"

Yes? Yes please?
>>
>>61617475
And then yourself.
>>
>>61617472
Fortran

Then LISP would be the first high level programming language.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.