[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >get job at a company that does biotech stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: 0.jpg (5KB, 200x200px)
0.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>be me
>get job at a company that does biotech stuff
>first week
>guy asks me to write some documentation for something
>figure I'll impress him by using latex
>finish it in three days
>work of art
>turn it in
>tells me to rewrite the whole thing in microsoft word 2003

one week in and I already want to spill normie blood
>>
Care to post a sample of your work?
>>
>>61613647
it's on my work computer, unfortunately. describes how the software talks to a testing instrument over serial.
>>
>>61613624
F

Get your faggot ass out of there, unless the money is pretty good.
If the latter, I don't know. Just F.
>>
>>61614161
Money is shit, but I can't quit. It's a good opportunity for resume-building. I have not even entered college yet (just graduated HS) and to be employed at this company straight out of HS will probably help me out quite a bit in the future.
>>
>>61613624
you can probably use htlatex to convert to html and open that with word.
>>
>>61613704
>leaking company data
enjoy being sued for however much you agreed to be fined in your NDA and job contract
>>
>>61614892
>saying "it's on my work computer" is leaking company data

unless you're referring to how I say the instrument uses serial, which is not a trade secret or in any way classified and can easily be found in the company's website
>>
Serves you right you fucking retard. Welcome to the real world where people don't give a fuck about your autistic software preferences.
>>
>>61615041
yeah but how is pdf autistic
>>
File: devlish.jpg (164KB, 1024x1276px) Image search: [Google]
devlish.jpg
164KB, 1024x1276px
>>61615100
>screenshot PDF and put it in a Word 2003 document
>>
>>61615125
top kek I would probably get fired
>>
>>61615100
Why would you turn it into a PDF? Jesus Christ, how did you even get a job if you can't follow industry standards?
>>
File: pepe.png (137KB, 1631x1571px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
137KB, 1631x1571px
>>61615134
>top kek I would probably get fired

No anon, you just made yourself irreplaceable to the company as you're the only one who can maintain that document now.
>>
>>61615154
I was already the only one who could maintain the document because nobody else knows TeX in my office. That's why he wanted word. I would've probably done it in word if I had assumed it needed to be edited, but I guarantee none of what I wrote will ever change.

>>61615140
I'm not sure you know how TeX works or understand the typical hiring process.
>>
>>61613624
You should have asked first. Documentation needs to be maintained, which means you need to use a system that the other employees are familiar with.
>>
Did you explain the extensive benefits of a free (as in freedom AND as in beer) writing software? I'm sure he'd immediately change his mind if you did.
>>
>>61615293
that would be the most autistic possible course of action
>>
>>61615279
you're not wrong, but I'm still triggered. also, the way he presented the assignment to me, I assumed he was looking for a few notes scribbled on a sheet of paper, so I thought TeX would be overkill.
>>
File: 1488519722114.png (174KB, 346x385px) Image search: [Google]
1488519722114.png
174KB, 346x385px
>>61613624
Just use pandoc
>>
>>61613624
Your boss is retarded but he probably mean to do it in a simple *.doc file so even a potato can read it.

Tbh i work in the accounting department of a health company and i do and ask the same as i never know when any terminal shit the bed and the only "spare" computers this fuckers have are a pair of pentium 3 netvistas with w2k and office 2000.

Still, you could be a cunt and make him waste resources by printing it, then scan it into a PDF with OCR and copy the text in a shitty word.
>>
>>61614743
this
>>
>>61615869
Guessing from how they say it's a >>61613624 "work of art" and >>61615190 "I would've probably done it in word if I had assumed it needed to be edited", that they used every flowery LaTeX command they knew of, and inline with the content (instead of making a template), which I don't think Pandoc really handles.

I wouldn't want to have to maintain that kind of garbage either, at that point you should just be using Word.
>>
>>61613624
>>tells me to rewrite the whole thing in microsoft word 2003
He was testing you. If you didn't almost immediately turn in a Word compatible version that you compiled from the latex version after he asked then he knows you're just a hipster who doesn't really know what they're doing.
>>
>>61616242
kek, what? I've been using LaTeX for years and I don't know how to do that, because why would I want to?
>>
>>61613624
This is certainly only something with severe autism would do. All corporations use Word.

Unless you're writing a fucking textbook for McGraw Hill, sorry, you're never going to use latex in a corporate environment.
>>
>>61613624
>writes a rich text document for a company without first checking what the company standard is
That's like writing a piece of a program in java when the rest of the team has decided on writing it in javascript.
>>
>>61613624
being this gay
>>
>>61617054
>you're never going to use latex in a corporate environment.

I wrote every single piece of documentation using latex -> pdf when I worked as a software engineer at a large insurance company. Never got any complaints.
>>
>>61615041
You do know that all scientific articles and documents are written LaTex right?
>>
>>61615965

>.doc file so even a potato can read it
Except even a potato can read a .pdf file.
>>
>>61613624
That's why autists like you aren't ready for the real job world
>>
>>61613624
don't try to impress capitalist pigs with latex, it's like expecting whores to become nuns
>>
>figure I'll impress him by using latex
CS faggots think latex is impressive? Meanwhile, us science overlords are expected to hand in all assignments in latex from our first semester. If you can't figure out the basic syntax in less than 5 minutes you're a brainlet.
>>
>>61613624
export it to pdf
don't blemish it with word
>>
>>61619853
>brainletposting
Go back to /sci/ so you can shitpost about your IQ there
>>
>>61614743
Pandoc
>>
Orgmode, pandoc.

Conversion into anything else is a 5-second job.
>>
>>61613624
Same story here. Except the colleague in question was always fed up with word fucking up his layouts, yet once he found out I used latex he panicked and wanted me to rewrite. I never did though.
>>
Are you fucking retarded? Do you assume that every software engineer nows LaTeX?
Everyone who would need to update the docs would need to learn it.
>>
>figure I'll impress him
by being literally retarded?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=latex+convert+to+word
You seriously didn't ask him in what format does he want it you worthless retard?
>>
Why don't you guys use something like Confluence?
>>
>>61614216
buck up sissy pants
>>
>>61613624
Can't you just use latex2rtf and then open it in Word and save as .doc?
>>
>>61615190
>nobody else knows TeX in my office
hate to break it to you, but your boss doesn't want to be in deep shit after you're fired.
>>
>>61615041
Fucking this.
If possible, one should use the easiest way to share Information with collegues.
Dont make it so diffucult for others, fagget.
>>
ask an /x/phile to influence your boss to change his mind
>>
>>61621131
yea op your boss doesn't really care for you or to be impressed he just wants the shit done and to get to fuck that new hot intern thats just out of hs you know the one with the big boobs and tight wet pussy
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.