[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what programming experience/language must one acquire to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0874.jpg (49KB, 650x534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0874.jpg
49KB, 650x534px
what programming experience/language must one acquire to make $200k+ within 5-10 years?
>>
>>61609690
An MBA
>>
>>61609705
what does mba have anything to do with programming?
>>
The chances of you being that indispensable in 5-10 years are slim to none. If you had that kind of talent, you'd know by now. Focus on getting into management herding pajeets.
>>
>>61609783

The ability to convince your interviewer you're worth 200k.
>>
>>61609690
As a software developer the max. you will get is 100k.
>>
i already finished programming course in college. should i go for computer science?
>>
>>61609845
You can make 120k in suburbs near NYC like NJ. In NYC you can easily make 150k. And if you can get into a team lead position you're looking at 150-180k in small cities
>>
>>61609845
ok who makes 100k+ with background in programming?
>>
>>61610182
what kind of experience/language/tech do they usually look for in such positions?
is computer science degree required?
>>
>>61610182
Im not saying that's and average, just possible. A friend of mine with 1yr experience (started together) moved to NYC and is making 120k at a financial firm as a java developer because he interned as an analyst for like 3 months and they were looking for people with knowledge of the industry still just a developer though.
>>
>>61609690
If you include salary, stock, and 401k match, my starting compensation at Google after graduating with a BS in Computer Science was about $200k.
>>
>>61610240
so java and financial sector are the best bet?
>>
>>61610230
Degree is probably good. I know of another guy, friend's boyfriend, who self taught python or ruby and built some shitty website and read the interview books. He interned at some rising company in San Fran and made 30k in 3 months. According to him they wanted to keep him but wanted him to get more experience first or something. He started working as a consultant but haven't heard from him in a while.

If you don't have a degree work on some portfolio pieces and study data structures and interview questions
>>
>>61610313
what languages(s) and tech did they hire you to work with?
>>
>>61610326
what's a good uni to get computer science at in US?
>>
>>61610317
If you want money then yeah. San Fran is expensive, my sister makes 100k over there and constantly bitches about not having enough money. Given that's after like an 8% matched 401k and a lot of eating out. She's in the medical industry.

NYC you can take a train from NJ, takes about an hour by train + a cab ride. NJ is cheaper than San Fran by far but doing that every day can be hard even on a young guy. The people I know who go to NYC moved up to northern jersey to get a better commute, but it's more expensive to live there.
>>
>>61610382
Idk, I just went to Rutgers. Got into their pharmacy school but dropped out and switched. Working at a large company in NJ and total compensation is around 70k but benefits are nice and the commute isn't too bad. There are a lot of consulting companies in NJ that will try to send you to places like South Carolina and Ohio
>>
>>61610330
I was hired to work on the Logs team as an SRE (Site Reliability Engineer). I worked mostly in C++ with some Python. I didn't really have much domain experience for the role, but I am very good at discussing things I'm only somewhat knowledgeable about, and love dynamic programming problems, so my interviews went very well.

I'd previously interned at Facebook's production engineering (their equivalent of SRE) Traffic team. During my internship I did a large research project for their DNS-based load balancing system. I was well-suited for that internship because I'd had previous experience writing my own DNS server (an HTTP-based DNS server with a local daemon that you could query using proper DNS).

I eventually left Logs team and moved to a proper Software Engineering role where I wouldn't need to be on-call for one of Google's largest and most important services, which was super stressful.
>>
I'm from Canada. Should I study and then look for work in US, or will US employers take in Canadian comp sci credentials too?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.