[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to emacs. (1) Do emacs user usually run Emacs in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1473383279156.jpg (91KB, 640x932px) Image search: [Google]
1473383279156.jpg
91KB, 640x932px
I'm new to emacs.
(1) Do emacs user usually run Emacs in a detached windows as it is by default or do they do emacs -nw every time they edit a file?

(2) I'm a little bit lost with all the modes, the .emacs and .emacs.d . I was used to have a simple .vimrc and no fancy stuff like pathogen. What's a good habit to "learn to know what I'm doing" as I "build" my emacs config?

(3) I mainly edit files written in C++, C, bash scripts, pyhon and some other config files when I feel like a ricer. Any recommendations?
>>
You won't need to ask questions if you install Visual Studio.
>>
>Any recommendations?
Don't waste your time on vanilla, use spacemacs.
>>
>>61603930
(1)
alias emacs="emacs -nw"

(2)
Most stuff is pretty basic. It's just a lisp program that it runs. Some plugins provide you (or even add to it automatically) new things. You might want to be more specific.
(3)
Honestly just google these and try to find plugins that you like. (For stuff like C, C++, and bash there might even be some stuff built in for it)
>>
>>61603930
The 80s called, they want their text editor back.
>>
>>61604225
I don't care about vim, they can have it.
>>
>>61603930
>(1) Do emacs user usually run Emacs in a detached windows as it is by default or do they do emacs -nw every time they edit a file?
Run emacs in gui mode, and do everything possible in it, from using the shell to browsing the web

>(3) I mainly edit files written in C++, C, bash scripts, pyhon and some other config files when I feel like a ricer. Any recommendations?
for C/C++, irony, rtags, flycheck and company are essential.
>>
>>61603930
Read Mastering Emacs by Mickey Petersen
>>
>>61604149
I'd rather learn the basics mechanism of Emacs before jumping on something fancier.
>>61604200
Is the alias a "common thing" or is it just because I mentioned not opening emacs in a detached window?
>>61604247 and >>61604313
Thanks for the recommendations
>>
Emacs want you to run GUI version and run terminal inside it, regardless of how broken crap the terminal implementation there is. Vim expects opposite - lots of turning on and closing in terminal. If you dislike typing emacs -nw every time, make alias.

Emacs take one of ~/.emacs, ~/.emacs.el and ~/.emacs.d/init.el as init config file, not sure about order priority. You can either have everything in ~/.emacs.d directory and track it with git for example (some gitignore required since many files there are generated as you download packages etc.); or easy mode have single ~/.emacs file and never edit ~/.emacs.d manually.

Look at package `use-package`, it can make the config file much cleaner. I had hard times finding some overview what all its options do, so there is my cheatsheet: https://pastebin.com/F6W0nbBy

And use MELPA repository.

Some sample minimal config file: https://pastebin.com/1HsXQW9s
>>
>>61604335
>Is the alias a "common thing" or is it just because I mentioned not opening emacs in a detached window?
Personally I think the gui is kind of like a crutch. The gui is essentially emacs + a menu at the top of stuff you could just do without taking your hands off the keyboard.
>>
>>61603930
I usually have one graphical Emacs open where I read my mail, follow RSS feeds and do most of my writing and programming and stuff. When I need to edit system files I do "sudo emacs -nw file" from the terminal and close that instance when I'm done.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.