[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to learn Linux where to start? Which videos to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ge.jpg (131KB, 982x580px) Image search: [Google]
ge.jpg
131KB, 982x580px
I'd like to learn Linux
where to start? Which videos to watch? (and books/websites)
Videos are good because you see things happening in real time
Thanks
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61582750
install debian
>>
>>61582794
I'm using Mint already but I want to understand and do command line stuff, set up firewall (iptables), etc.
I have no idea where to start for videos/books
>>
>>61582813
Check out linuxjourney.com, then do some bash scripting/programming.
>>
install gentoo
>>
You came to the right place. Do you have any special area of interest. Screenfetch? Cowsay?
>>
>>61582750
Install it and try to do everything you'd normally do with it. Necessity is the fastest teacher.
>>
>>61582750
operating systems are not something to "learn", they're suposed to be usable inmediately

some linux distros fail at this, but most are ready for you to hop on.

The best way to "learn" linux is to just use it. Install a solid, stable distro like mint and get on it.
>>
>>61582750
Install Ubuntu and learn Bash
>>
>>61583426
the problem is that I'm not sure how to build a package or install arch and set up my config from there
When using mint/ubuntu everything is there you just click in a few links but I can't learn how to install a software from a tarball
>>
>>61583426
It's true that learning is best done by doing but it doesn't hurt to read up on it and watch some videos and ask people some questions. It's best really to study the system you use (no matter what it is) from time to time.
>>
>>61582916
Unironically this, it's definitely the best way to learn linux
>>
>>61583612
I forgot to put some stuff for OP.

Spatry is pretty good sometimes.
The biggest thing is to keep a text file when you learn to do something that you like. Don't just figure you'll remember or find that forum post that finally put it together for you. Sometimes the solution is really simple. I've got a text file on a thumb drive I call my cheat sheet. I put together my system using it each time when I reinstall or try it out on a new system.
>>
where can I find video files from linux academy for free?
29 bucks month :(
I wanted to study linux essentials
>>
>>61583426
He probably wants to learn the GNU coreutils and such, not whatever DE his distro comes with
>>
>>61582750
wtf is even going on in that picture?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.