[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work a dead end programming job with no prospects of advancement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1494109823647.jpg (14KB, 333x279px) Image search: [Google]
1494109823647.jpg
14KB, 333x279px
I work a dead end programming job with no prospects of advancement maintaining 30+ years of technical debt. 8 or more hours of my day are logged to JIRA, 5 days a week, 52 weeks out of the year. If I go below 80% productivity, i'll be written up. If I don't nominate at least 1 person a month for employee of the quarter I get written up. If I'm more than a couple minutes past 8 AM, I'm written up.

I keep applying for new jobs, but they want years of experience with newer technologies. I build projects using those newer technologies and put them on GitHub, but unfortunately not a single fucking recruiter or hiring manager even looks at the fucking thing, they just look at my current role and responsibilities.

What the fuck should I do? I don't want to commit suicide, but I don't want to continue living either.
>>
Maybe you shouldn't have gotten a job doing something you hate.
>>
>>61580329
I enjoy programming. What I don't like is maintaining legacy code and being micromanaged to death.
>>
>>61580346
You just said you want to kill yourself because you hate writing code.

That's pretty extreme, memes aside.
If you really hate your life this much, drop out and move somewhere else and start again.
I hope you at least have some rainy day fund to fund your journey.
>>
>>61580232
I've been here man. I'm happier now as a consultant. turns out I make more money as a babysitter than a technical contributor. You can get through this. Automate what you can of your job now so that you can start daylighting to build up other competencies and maybe make some more cash. If your manager tries to say 'hey why are you daylighting' cite all of the parts of your contract citing raises and reviews at regular intervals that they have missed. they're in breach of contract too here--stop stressing yourself out for a place that cares nothing for you.
>>
>>61580368
I have about 20k in the bank.
>>
>>61580470
put all on black
>>
File: 1489291110866.jpg (22KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489291110866.jpg
22KB, 234x250px
>>61580503
I might be depressed, but I'm not insane.
>>
>>61580522
where are you from?
>>
>>61580522
https://news.ycombinator.com/jobs

good luck
>>
>>61580232
>didn't learn python
>didn't code an app

You're really the only one to blame, grandpa.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.