[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Virus_Blaster.jpg (59KB, 420x251px) Image search: [Google]
Virus_Blaster.jpg
59KB, 420x251px
What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace most of userland with a much more consistent, intuitive environment?
>>
It's umaintainable, so they came up with UWP.
>>
>>61567909
Seems like no one used it though. Windows Dead when?
>>
>>61567891
What they need to do is complete scrap NT and just use Linux or some other kernel at this point and keep around a few of their own libraries and userland like Android does. Or just scrap Windows and start over because it's a total fucking mess.
>>
>>61568393
They could create and maintain a proprietary user space on linux. Maybe something like wine but one that actually works well (just my experience with wine anyway). Windows users wouldn't give a shit.
>>
>>61568509
One problem:

Once you go GNU, there's no more copyright. Microsoft would stop making money licensing their new "Windows" to laptop manufacturers since they would no longer have to pay royalties, and there'd be no legal basis to prosecute people for downloading the new "Windows" from a third party without paying.

Microsoft would never give up their copyrights, its all they have
>>
They need an actual stable kernel ABI so that we can simply get rid of their crappy DLLs and roll our own, better crap on top of NT.
>>
>>61568573
Linux user space is not GPL-bound.
>>
File: microsoft.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
microsoft.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>61567891
>>
>>61567891
>What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace most of userland with a much more consistent, intuitive environment?
They wont.

They've already tried, like the introduction of the Start screen in Windows 8. Put people don't want it, they complained and thought it was too difficult (lol).
>>
>>61569324
Thanks for correcting me anon.
>>
I personally want them to keep it. People'll see how bloated and shitty windows actually is.
>>
>>61568573
This is wrong.
>>
>>61567891
Are you the guy who forked blaster repository a few hours ago in github? Did you do it just for the screenshot?
>>
because it works for 90% of world's population and you're a vocal minority
>>
>>61569359
wew lad
>>
Why would they?

People don't care as long as their software works.
>>
File: compilingWindows.png (198KB, 1266x589px) Image search: [Google]
compilingWindows.png
198KB, 1266x589px
>>61569359
>>
File: pasta2.png (2MB, 1532x5990px) Image search: [Google]
pasta2.png
2MB, 1532x5990px
>>61572874
>>
File: org-charts-tech-companies.png (199KB, 600x584px) Image search: [Google]
org-charts-tech-companies.png
199KB, 600x584px
>>61569359
>managed kernel
>insanely dumb
Maybe it was dumb to attempt at Microsoft knowing how Microsoft was at the time, but it isn't dumb in principle. It has already been done with considerable success. For instance, Wirth and his collaborators at Zurich built a whole OS from the kernel up to the GUI in a managed language and, as far I understand, used it as their daily driver in the late 1980s. Maybe Windows was too big for it in principle, but I wouldn't be so sure. Without Microsoft's legendary mismanagement and rivalry between departments they probably could have pulled it off.
>>
File: os_mar_2012_2017_ww.png (155KB, 1340x731px) Image search: [Google]
os_mar_2012_2017_ww.png
155KB, 1340x731px
>>61568171
>Windows Dead when?
>>
>>61573662 (You)
*It had already been done
>>
>>61571987
I wouldn't call what windows does "working".
>>
>>61567909
on top of Win32
>>61568393
NT is fine, they need to scrap the Win32 subsystem and start over.
>>
>>61573692
>2020
>india becomes superpower
>windows is no longer usable because of poo r quality code
seems legit
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.