[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm president of my university's linux user group.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: lll.png (34KB, 1327x313px) Image search: [Google]
lll.png
34KB, 1327x313px
I'm president of my university's linux user group. Got this email today. What do I tell him? What are some good distros for web surfing and web scrapping processes?
>>
>>61566776
"install gentoo"
>>
What do people even do at linux user groups?
I imagine they were much more useful in the 1990s when people had shit internet and passing around CD-ROMs was much faster than waiting to download and burn your own copy and meanwhile you could install and talk linux with other nerds like you.

What purpose do they have today?
>>
File: city-jank.jpg (465KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
city-jank.jpg
465KB, 1920x1200px
>>61566864
Almost none. I inherited this one and it's slowly dying. We actually do get the occasional person who needs help with a broken install or comes when we have a talk on a specific topic we're interested in. We also have several servers installed in university racks that we teach people how to use and administrate, to get them familiar with using the terminal and shared server environments. Occasionally we host companies, and from connections with alumni it can be a good way to get a job if you're skilled. We do have grad students come give talks which is good, had someone give us a mind blowing lecture on cellular networks that got down into the EM and field shaping aspects as well as the high level dataplane.

Sadly we're subsumed by the video game development club, which is full of alienware wielding html5 shitting kids. There are also a large amount of members in the security club, but judging by what I've seen in them, the security kids with actual skills are either in the lug or no clubs at all.

The short answer for ours is more or less that it's a general technology club that focuses on technical topics above the physical layer.
>>
Start enlightening your group about (((THE BOTNET)))
>>
>>61566776
Xubuntu LTS
>>
>>61567013
That's kind of sad.
Also, spot on with the security club. I tend to stay away from those
>>
>>61566864
crossdress while watching anime and installing gentoo on thinkpads
>>
>>61567491
It's a superstition due to the general ignorance. Firstly, Jews are superior to goyim. Secondly, companies collect statistics to improve services and they don't conceal that except Apple it's completely different to what botnets do by definition.
>>
File: 1485349953576.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1485349953576.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>61566776
Teach him KVM/QUEMU
>>
File: 1498525054209.png (327KB, 1732x1442px) Image search: [Google]
1498525054209.png
327KB, 1732x1442px
>>61566776
Leap 42.3
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.