[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which version of BSD should I try out as a beginner? I have basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1456759656898.png (3MB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1456759656898.png
3MB, 3000x2400px
Which version of BSD should I try out as a beginner? I have basic knowledge of Linux, running Arch/KDE right now but want to try something different.
>>
>>61530569
Could everybody please just install BSD please.
The sooner you find out for yourselves what utter shit it is, the sooner we can band together and track down and kill the unrelenting shitfuckker who keeps spamming /g/ with these fucking shill threads.
>>
>>61530569
OpenBSD
>>
>>61530616
>T. a raging faggot who eats cock on a daily basis
>>
>>61530569
For what reason should anyone use netbsd or dragonfly bsd?
>>
>>61530616
I thought it wasn't that bad. Needs more wifi drivers though desu.
>>
>>61530616
>The sooner you find out for yourselves what utter shit it is, the sooner we can band together and track down and kill the unrelenting shitfuckker
So never?
>>
File: 1497177778964.png (690KB, 1302x1336px) Image search: [Google]
1497177778964.png
690KB, 1302x1336px
>>61530616
This.
Except that I personally use OpenBSD on my laptop and fBSD current on my desktop, and I would probably die by BSD.

In all seriousness though, the novelty of various GNU/Linux distros isn't really applicable, because various BSD images are so radically different not only in the sense that they have totally different kernels, userland, & c. but also are starkly different philosophically, which is pretty much the reason why they forked in the first place.

You can harp on someone else's distro as a GNU/Linux user all you want, but, in the end, it's pretty much still GNU/Linux. In BSD, you don't have that freedom, because what you can do in one image may be incredibly different in another, just because of where a team's values are, and, for that reason, BSD communities are often vastly different image-to-image in contrast to distros.

Like, when are you ever going to use Dragonfly as an end user? Even in an enterprise context, HAMMER is unbelievably niche. Conversely, what corporate drone is going to use OpenBSD over Freenas or fBSD with such an archaic filesystem? That's the tradeoff of putting security first.
>>
>>61533136
>openbsd

weren't these the retards that review each line of code and their hardware support is so ancient no one gives a fuck so they literally have to beg each year for funds just to keep their servers alive?

>>61530569
try giving GhostBSD a spin, it has a live cd and it's very easy installable
>>
>>61533182
they don't have to beg anymore

they haven't had to for years
>>
>>61533182
Yes. They are also the retards who develop for the same operating system that they're using, and are actually passionate enough about free software that they not only refrain from using nonfree software but actively criticize the GPL, which is much more than the FreeBSD goys can say.
>>
>>61533264
Yeah, sure. Try getting FreeBSD to boot outside of a vm. I hate to state the obvious, but if no one's using FreeBSD for a desktop, then there's no incentive to maintain desktop packages. FreeBSD is the cancer of the BSD world. It's proof that a lenient stance on free software means your project is going to be overrun by millennial developers who are more than happy to take advantage of the merits of free software while chastising other, more valuable devs for not being politically correct--all the while keeping one foot in the proprietary cesspool known as macOS.
>>
>>61530761
NetBSD has pretty good suspend/resume/overall hardware support. Pkgsrc is also very good.

Dragonfly for many of the same reasons you would use ZFS or BTRFS. It's actually not very practical, but the have a lot better support for the latest graphics/cpu's relative to FreeBSD.
>>
File: oeuo.png (471KB, 745x745px) Image search: [Google]
oeuo.png
471KB, 745x745px
>>61534204

It has UEFI support?
>>
File: 1498003317208.png (203KB, 800x689px) Image search: [Google]
1498003317208.png
203KB, 800x689px
>>61530569
OpenBSD.

FreeBSD has already been infiltrated and sabotaged by the NSA.
>>
>>61530569
OpenBSD is rock solid if it plays nice with your hardware. It's incredibly easy to set up and get running, but in my experience it's also a fairly slow desktop experience.

To be perfectly honest, I'd stick to GNU/Linux on the desktop and *BSD on servers. It seems like they're tailored better to those experiences respectively.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.