[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been browsing /g/ for a few months and I finally built

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: dumb_computer.png (150KB, 714x715px) Image search: [Google]
dumb_computer.png
150KB, 714x715px
I've been browsing /g/ for a few months and I finally built my own PC. I disregarded almost all of /g/'s advice, instead researching everything myself and making my own decisions.

>i7 6700k
None of the Kaby Lake temperature issues. Lots of motherboard support, very very few bugs/issues/etc. Still a super strong chip for the money

>GTX1080
This one doesn't need much explaining

>280mm all-in-one cooler
Did you know that the -only- AIO I could find leakage reports for was the old Corsair H100i? Since then they've renovated it, and there hasn't been any issues since the re-engineering. Everyone told me to go with a heatsink, but the AIO runs much colder with a strong overclock, and it allows a lot more airflow for the motherboard and my graphics card.

>expensive Asus motherboard
A lot of Z170 motherboards need a BIOS flash in order to run Kaby Lake chips, and in order to perform this flash you need a CPU installed. But if you pay the cash, you can get one that won't need a CPU to update. Also this board has tons of BIOS flexibility, overclocking is a breeze, no GPU sag, and I can adjust just about anything from inside the OS rather than having to back out.

>M.2 SATA SSD
I bought a cheap 275gb Crucial M.2-2280 SSD as a boot drive, even though /pcbg/ insisted I buy an NVMe. I cold boot in 35 seconds with a BIOS screen, 20 seconds without. I don't see how double the price would be worth a couple of seconds of boot time.

>I run 2x140mm in front, 2x140mm on top (AIO) on intake, and 1x140mm in rear for exhaust
If I put the AIO in front, I'm pulling all of that warm air across my GPU, hard drives, and motherboard, or if I run it as exhaust, I'm pulling the warm air up through the radiator. But this way I get cool air from the radiator, and it's evacuated almost immediately by a rear-top fan, allowing proper air flow over all the other parts. Good temps, no problems, and no dust inside the case.

So long story short, advice on /g/ isn't the end-all.
>>
Shit value, would not buy /10
>>
File: horrifying.png (154KB, 680x674px) Image search: [Google]
horrifying.png
154KB, 680x674px
>>61520994
>I disregarded almost all of /g/'s advice
Wait, some people don't do that?
>>
>>61520994
>buying gpu
wrong board >>>/v/
>>
>>61520994
>unironically buying intel in 2017
>>
>>61520994
>So long story short, advice on /g/ isn't the end-all.
you act like people actually give valid advice anywhere on this site
>>
>6700k
good choice, good cpu
>gtx1080
good
>280mm aio
I'd say the difference between that and air cooling isn't worth it, but whatever
>asus mobo
valid if you want to upgrade
>ssd
35 second boot time. wtf nigga. I get 11 to login screen from cold boot on a samsung 850 evo SATA.

Good thing is you didn't fall for kaby meme or amd meme. 7/10
>>
>>61520994
So you bought a CPU that doesn't need watercooling, and water cooled it. Overspent on your GPU because there is no fucking way you bought a 4k monitor. Put it on an ASUS board that will fail just out of warranty. Cheaped out on a M.2 drive that doesn't have current technology and your only argument for this is a boot speed which doesn't matter because who the fuck shuts a computer down any more? And you allow the heat dissipated from your AIO radiator to get pushed back into your case? WHAT THE HOLY FUCK
>>
Why the fuck would you pay extra for a motherboard that doesn't need a BIOS update for Kaby Lake when you're not running Kaby Lake? Just exactly how retarded are you, OP?
>>
>>61523024
Yet it stays ice cold and it runs like a champ. Crazy
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.