[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tried to get into programming a halfdozen times >never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: 1483826909566.png (11KB, 313x188px) Image search: [Google]
1483826909566.png
11KB, 313x188px
>tried to get into programming a halfdozen times
>never stuck at it more that 3 weeks

As a result the first few hours of learning a new language are so fucking trivial and easy it bores me to death, but I don't know enough to just jump in at the deep end.

Fucking kill me.
>>
>>61511152
install gentoo
>>
what are you having trouble with?
>>
>>61511152
But that's LaTeX
>>
File: doitfgt.jpg (85KB, 835x703px) Image search: [Google]
doitfgt.jpg
85KB, 835x703px
>>61511152
Sounds like a personal problem. Thankfully there's a personal solution.
>>
Learn OOP. You're at the point where the fundamentals are the same between each language and all you learn is syntax. Now go learn OOP.
>>
learn assembly for the n64
>>
>>61511152
Learning a specific language has ~nothing to do with knowing how to program.
>>
>>61511953
this
>>61511152
Learning programming isn't so much about the language, it's more about algorithms and being able to think in abstract programmatic concepts..
Try actually learning programming with literally any beginner language instead of just learning a language.
You should learn how to implement something like a dictionary, not language specific stuff like how to write an iterator in Python. The language will come naturally with time.
>>
>>61511152
Any programming "textbook" is going to be simplistic you dumbfuck. They're teaching you the base concept and how the language implements it and how you are able to use it. What you need to do is learn those concepts/implementations and then use them for an actual purpose.

What you should be doing is going to Project Euler once you think you know the concept and try to solve some problems. Maybe grab Design Patterns and try implementing those in the language you just learned.
>>
I have tried about that many times too, but not only have I forgot everything, but I never knew where to start to begin with, so I was doomed to fail.

Now I am too discouraged to do anything but work my stressful job and go home and drink until I pass out, even though I have all the resources I need on the Internet I could ever need. It only gets worse
>>
>>61511282
no, thats Computer Modern
>>
You have to do a project, dude. Find a simple game, and implement it. You don't need to know enough, you just learn as you go. Pick some game that a ton of people have implemented already.
>>
>>61511152
>Fucking kill me.
Write a program to kill yourself.
>>
File: 5.jpg (12KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
12KB, 352x352px
Why do you even want to program?
>>
Push. Through. It.
Pick a project and STICK WITH IT. Pull your goddamn hair out. Cry. Feel inadequate frequently. Harass /dpt/. Spend hours on stack overflow.
Eventually you'll have finished (to some degree) your shit app and magically you have gained a few levels. It's gonna be shit. You think any great software engineer was writing quality code from day 1? Nope.
>>
File: justdoit.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
justdoit.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>61515102
good advice
>>
File: lamazingcallmiku.jpg (348KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
lamazingcallmiku.jpg
348KB, 1366x768px
the farthest i ever got was with python for a little command line program that would record my LoL game stats to a text file, in a stupid convoluted data extracting/reformatting way (it was a good way to practice string matching stuff) - it did most of what i had wanted, just simple k/d/a for each game and champ i played, i had an alias file that would map champ abbreviations and nicknames to the real name etc

some old guy was very helpful to my questions on stack overflow, bless him for taking the time on my stupid little project

i eventually gave up on it before implimenting actual stat trend tracking, which i was then hoping to generate excel with, but in retrospect it would have been simpler project to just make the whole damn thing in excel lols

anyways tl;dr its best to find some simple thing you would actually get some degree of daily use out of, for some singular task, and build that, i think you'll stick with it longer then and learn some

good luck op! thanks for havign a similar issue to me with programmings i will try to get back into it sometime soon
>>
>>61511174
Post your github, I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind working on a few projects with you.
>>
File: 1500159784107.png (66KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1500159784107.png
66KB, 382x395px
>want to learn programming just to cheat in a game
>1 book cost 700usd
>>
>>61515204
can i just post my e-mail address
>>
>>61515157
personally I think making a game or two is a great way to learn a language. Program Pac-Man, just to see if you can, then do something slightly bigger. Make a 2D mario like game, or something. It's fun to add your own stuff and express yourself.
>>
>>61516002
Yes, you cannot be a programmer if you don't buy $700 books. What retarded fucking book is this, if I may ask?
>>
Just use C; the entire language is JUST the first few hours / trivial shit
>>
>>61511152
>but I don't know enough to just jump in at the deep end.
can you google?
can you read references?
can you read documentations?
in short do you have a grade school education?
then you absolutely can just "jump in at the deep end"
stop being a lazy ass think of a project and make it
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.