[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vrg/ - Virtual Reality General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 26

File: 1499680790921.jpg (292KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1499680790921.jpg
292KB, 2048x1152px
Back to the regular programming, but still shilling. All text is a WIP.

>A not very serious compilation of trailers demonstrating current VR
https://vimeo.com/222520924

>I'm not sure I believe the hype.
The only way to truly understand VR is to experience it (and not only that, but the good headsets with the good software). If you're skeptical, try a live demo and make up your own mind. Or keep reading for a comprehensive overview.

>Where can I try it?
https://pastebin.com/FfRKyyFN

>Overview of VR
>Should be a REQUIRED reading, even if you know about VR
https://pastebin.com/1PqZfhAW

---

>Hardware purchasing guide with deals/discounts
https://pastebin.com/CQXY0hvq

>User guides, requirements, setup, and resources
https://pastebin.com/3D60jpFb

>Recommended games and applications (includes NSFW)
https://pastebin.com/KgBr4kCh

>Last thread
>>61403555

>To-do:
Better formatted and expanded apps list.
PSVR guide and more PSVR info.
More tips and resources for the headset guides.
Better/more info for everything.
>>
can someone tell me how multiplayer rooms in bigscreen works?

can other people see your desktop windows? can they interact with it?

just seems like a huge privacy problem
>>
>>61479060
>PSVR guide and more PSVR info.

Here I made a guide.

https://pastebin.com/BPd2e9HU
>>
File: c2021__lens-distance_w_450.png (76KB, 450x442px) Image search: [Google]
c2021__lens-distance_w_450.png
76KB, 450x442px
>you have the chance of scratching the headset's own lenses.

Vive really has little risk of scratching the lens with glasses and is far more accommodating than the Rift. You have options to extend the lens distance and use thicker foam. They should fit inside as long as you don't have hipster frames but of course it will vary. The sacrifice is less field of view.
>>
>>61480518
>The sacrifice is less field of view.

Then you're sort of wasting one of the advantages of the Vive because it has slightly larger FOV than all the other headsets. I already have trouble enough trying to get the max FOV by using thinner third party foams.
>>
>>61469529
So when's that /g/ VRchat fuckfest
>>
>>61480663
You're sacrificing one advantage for another one, your choice to make. I go for the FoV route personally but it's really handy when I demo it for friends that want to use glasses.
>>
How can this tech claim to be VR when I can't even touch or feel any objects in this new "reality" I enter? Like say you have a VR video of stonehenge. You cant feel the fucking stones m8s even if you move around your goddamn virtual environment you have set up in your flat.

are you all marketers or am I missing something here?
>>
>>61480994
i'm not touching AR shit either until we get hardlights
>>
>>61479060
>Small movements to the sensors can affect tracking, so make sure you have a way to mount them stably.

You mention this for both the Rift and the Vive but you should mention that the Vive Basestations vibrate (they literally use hard drive motors after all) so using 3M tape to mount them might give you worse tracking. Something you can get away with on the Oculus sensors.

The new Valve branded Basestations might vibrate less as they use a single motor but they will be incompatible with the Vive. Something else that should be mentioned in case anyone was looking to buy them for a second room set up. Something that really bums me out since the HTC ones are $135 EACH, fucking ridiculous. You're 2/3 of the way to a Rift + Touch just buying an extra set.
>>
>>61481042
The vibrations shouldn't really do anything. I keep mine basically just sitting on a shelf. I'd be more afraid of the tape potentially failing in a few weeks and having the base stations drop.
>>
Can I take the shitty on ear headphones off the Oculus and use my own over ear ones?
>>
>>61480794
probably in 5 years when we get good face tracking

it's no fun if you can't see the ahegao
>>
>>61479060
Just finished Lucky's Tale, my first full VR game.

Thought Dead and Buried was going to be my next, but apparently it's multiplayer. I guess it's time for Robo Recall, then!
>>
>>61482688
>Just finished Lucky's Tale, my first full VR game.

It's shit, you literally should have tried RR first. at least you're doing that now. After RR try Echo Arena which is free.

>>61482663
Fuck I can imagine someone's going to do that the day it comes out.

>>61482620
Yeah if you look in the box you should find this tiny black rod thing. It's a screw driver and you use it on the big notable screws on the strap opposite the headphones.

But the integrated headphones are pretty good for what they are. I think they're a lot more preferable to having to go to the inconvenience of using separate headphones.
>>
>>61482762
I don't own a headset yet. I am considering getting one, but the on ear headphones are a turnoff. I can't stand them.
My next question: How many games have been modded to give the player independent head movement and weapon aim? I'm not talking about games made for the Oculus. I mean previously released FPS titles. 90% of the existing Oculus library looks like garbage to me, so I'd like to play the FPS I already own.
>>
>>61482834
If 90% looks bad then you should see what's on Steam. Not sure about mods, but I know Doom 3 BFG has one.
>>
>>61482580
>The vibrations shouldn't really do anything

It's minor but they can effect tracking. You can use this to test it out. Also good for seeing if whatever reflective surfaces in the room are an issue or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6da8dxygak08jx/JitterTester1.1.zip?dl=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4n4y6x/test_your_vive_jittershaking_before_its_too_late/
>>
>>61482881
The problem I have with most VR games is that they're practically on-rails shooters. The player has to teleport around in order to move. I'd like to play with my mouse and keyboard, but it seems like almost no one else wants that.
>>
>>61482995
i thought the touch controllers would fix that being they are MOTHERFUCKING ANALOG STICKS

FUCK was i wrong... i have 3 days to return i think i might because of this
>>
>>61482995
M/KB with FPS games is basically asking for a headache is why. Try looking at VorpX or Vireio Perception if you really want to try it out though.
>>
>>61482881
I think Dying Light has support now too.

It's too bad that GTA V mod died though. Shit was great even without 3D support.
>>
>>61483042
Nah. I don't get the headache meme. I've tried it with a regular controller and I don't see how it's any different from using a keyboard.
Motion controls are garbage for shooters.
>>
>>61483081
>Motion controls are garbage for shooters.

That's bull. You can't pull off the same shit in SPT with a single aiming point. Maybe current FPS games don't translate well to VR because you're basically running at 100mph but that doesn't mean motion controls are bad for aim, they're as fucking accurate as real life ffs.

>I don't see how it's any different from using a keyboard.

It has more to do with the mouse and it is a big difference.
>>
>>61482663
We could always hold hands you know
>>
>>61483135
This. The idea of using mouse and keyboard for fucking VR is actually laughable though. Tell me when I can use a mouse and keyboard, without a ridiculous amounts of hacks, key bindings, and/or scripted animations, to throw a gun in the air, catch it with my other hand, and shoot it immediately upon catching it, while aiming down the sights, while using my other hand to reach for my hip to grab a clip so that I can immediately reload in a second.
>>
>>61483226
>Tell me when I can use a mouse and keyboard, without a ridiculous amounts of hacks, key bindings, and/or scripted animations, to throw a gun in the air, catch it with my other hand, and shoot it immediately upon catching it, while aiming down the sights, while using my other hand to reach for my hip to grab a clip so that I can immediately reload in a second.
I don't want to do that shit. I just want to play CS with head tracking. Goofy arcade games like Onward are fine, but it's fucking boring when they're the only thing available.
>>
>>61483226
I would love to see someone trying to play Echo Arena on a flat screen with a mouse and keyboard setup and see how "competitive" they are against VR players.
>>
>>61483244
>I just want to play CS with head tracking.

You think you do but you really don't. Look into Pavlov though, people say it's the CS of VR but I haven't tried it personally.
>>
>>61483250
Echo Arena isn't an FPS you dunce. It wouldn't make sense to play a game like that with M+KB.

>>61483270
>you don't know what you want
Nah. I played Quake VR and it was a blast.
>>
I just built a really powerful gaming PC and I've been thinking of getting VR. Should I get a vive or occulus? I don't have much space to move around in. Or what about Microsoft's new mixed reality headset?
>>
>>61483270
Not him but the only thing about those games I hesitant about is that they're low budget indie titles. To be fair, a VR CS doesn't really exist yet, but it should soon enough. We'll probably see it in a year or two.
>>
>>61479060
>>>61482688
>>Just finished Lucky's Tale, my first full VR game.
>
>It's shit, you literally should have tried RR first. at least you're doing that now. After RR try Echo Arena which is free.

Nah, it wasn't so bad. Not super VR heavy, but I really enjoy platformers so it was nice to see it in a new medium. Lady friend's playing through it now.

Tried Echo Arena, liked it a lot. Was absolute shit at it. After I finish Robo Recall I'll move over to the stuff on Steam.
>>
>>61483290
Whatever control method they come up for how the cross hair mouse control and head tracking mix always is shit though, I've tried them
>>
>>61483352

I'm retarded and cannot respond well, apparently. Look here :
>>61482762
>>
>>61483290
>>61483244
So I guess people like you exist. It's going to be weird when the year 2030+ rolls around where everyone is playing VR games with fully replicated physical hand movements and gun handling while you're still playing these old FPS games with very little immersion.
>>
>>61483290
>I played Quake VR and it was a blast.

In the default mode right? It's basically what all translated FPS games do and make you aim and turn with your head. Problem is this is a worse way to aim over a mouse or motion controls and gives you neck strain.

Trust me I tried all the different modes there are to try back when TF2 had support. It's just inferior all around.
>>
>>61483374
what's wrong with standard mouse and keyboard controls with head decoupled from the z-axis?
>>
>>61482688
Btw is lucky's tale free or something? I never check the oculus app cause I have a vive and it says I have it purchased?
>>
>>61483425
Because you can't turn around normally. You can make it so that it turns automatically when your mouse hits near the edge of the screen but it's both slow and immersion breaking.

Feels like going back years ago talking about this stuff again.
>>
>>61483469
So adjust your turning speed in the settings.
>>
>>61483469
>Because you can't turn around normally.
yes you can. it works exactly the same as normal mouse and keyboard controls only when you aim up your view doesn't follow the weapon unless you tilt your head.
>>
>>61483469
>Feels like going back years ago talking about this stuff again.

The eternal september never ends bruh. Also it's clear this guy doesn't necessarily get that much immersion, or else he wouldn't be acting this way. VR tech just isn't compatible with his physiology just yet, and that's fine.
>>
>>61483540
> VR tech just isn't compatible with his physiology just yet, and that's fine.
You're the one complaining about "headaches" from using anything other than motion controls. I didn't have those problems.
>>
Yo I got a Rift because I've had a PC capable of VR for a while and have just been waiting for one of these fuckers to drop price. Well it's pretty damn cool, the touch controllers kick ass, the tracking works fine, the games are fun. I guess internet haters were wrong just like they are about pretty much everything as usual. Y'all keep typing a bunch of words and repeating what every other hater says, I'm gonna finish this beer and go play Lone Echo and do a few races in Project Cars before it gets much later.

(not directed at those who actually bought a headset, y'all know what's up)

PS it's worth getting a driving wheel and flightstick if you wanna get into this
>>
>>61483552
That post wasn't mine.
>>
>>61483477
It's jarring regardless. When you move your vision with controls that aren't your own head it basically isn't even VR anymore. It's a giant 3D monitor that fills your view.

>>61483518
I think you're basically talking about tank controls which is even more off putting since you don't get a sense of what direction you're going in until you're already moving unless you have a cockpit view somehow. I remember the first HLVR mod did this and it was the sickest I had ever gotten in VR ever. Felt it for hours after playing for 30mins. Mind you I have no problem playing the Doom BFG mod to give you an idea on my tolerance.
>>
>>61483577
>It's a giant 3D monitor that fills your view.
This is what he doesn't get, there is zero immersion which is the whole point of VR, but if it floats your boat do it I guess.
>>
I'm thinking about getting into vr development but I don't have any ideas for any games. It seems like almost everything is a first person shooter or puzzle game tech demo and I don't want to do that. For the platform to evolve it can't get stuck in that paradigm. Who's got some good ideas?
>>
>>61483603
Make a game that doesn't suck. There's very few on the market.
>>
>>61483603
Stuff like Climbey and Lucid Trips use different control methods that aren't too explored
>>
>>61483621
I'm trying to figure out what doesn't suck.
Or I might just make a vore-based VR game and soak in patreon bucks.
>>
>>61483601
>This is what he doesn't get
I've tried the Oculus you fag. I get it. I just don't like motion controls.
>>
>>61483552
I actually don't get headaches with controllers or even KB/M, I just get zero immersion. Like I said, it basically isn't VR anymore. It really is a screen strapped to your face, which I guess if that's what you want, fine. I just don't see the point when you're getting inferior control schemes.

>>61483601
Yeah, I think it's just people that some how get this idea of VR in their head like it's just a display that they can't get out of.
>>
>>61483603
Custom Waifu Simulator 2018

seriously
>>
>>61483577
>you don't get a sense of what direction you're going in until you're already moving
you go in the direction your weapon is facing.

>tank controls
what? do you mean like resident evil? it's nothing like that. i don't know how much more simply i can explain it. it's literally just standard mouse and keyboard controls but you can look around freely. the mouse controls the pitch and yaw of your body/weapon like normal, but it only affects the yaw of your view and not the the pitch. the direction you're looking also won't affect your movement.
>>
File: 1434473084436.jpg (123KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1434473084436.jpg
123KB, 1200x900px
>>61483561
Indeed.
>>
>>61483696
> the direction you're looking also won't affect your movement.

This is the problem. You can aim your weapon behind you and all this will do is make you walk backwards since your in game body thinks this is the new "forwards". You can't actually turn your head to the same way because you're stuck using a mouse, well unless you want to bend your neck the whole time. You can get away with this configuration with a controller and a swivel chair and plenty of people have done it but it's still shit.

I mean honestly, do you not realize this stuff has been tried before? For 2 years M/KB and controllers were the only options. People tried.
>>
>>61484407
>You can aim your weapon behind you and all this will do is make you walk backwards since your in game body thinks this is the new "forwards".
you could do that if you really wanted to but it's not likely to occur without special effort on your part. it's really a pretty simple and intuitive control scheme and i don't understand why you're having such a hard time grasping it.
>>
I'm not keen on controller-orientated movement. Onward has it and it's awkward. Head-orientated makes more sense because the directions remain constant.
>>
>>61484727
I like artificial locomotion better when it moves you forward based off your VR body and you just turn physically or use another turn button. In onward it's based off where your controller is pointed which is kinda weird.
>>
>>61484702
I don't need to grasp it, I've been through it. Have you? You're basically saying you never have a need to turn 360 degrees.
>>
>>61484907
>I've been through it. Have you?
yes. i've only played two games with mouse/keyboard controls in vr and they both used this control scheme and it worked great.

>You're basically saying you never have a need to turn 360 degrees.
you turn with the mouse. you can turn as many degrees as you want but your view is independent of this. it's analogous to real life. you turn with your body and the direction you turn your body affects your head but you can still move your head independently of your body.
>>
File: exorcist-masturbation.jpg (76KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
exorcist-masturbation.jpg
76KB, 630x420px
>>61485000
>you can turn as many degrees as you want
>it's analogous to real life.

Are you being serious right now? I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>61485052
the mouse turns you body.
>>
>>61485061
I guess the pic didn't make it clear enough for you?
>>
File: 1491719308728.png (81KB, 420x390px) Image search: [Google]
1491719308728.png
81KB, 420x390px
>>61479060
>buy Sairento VR
>friend gifts me Raw Data
>try both

>Sairento
>limited on mission choices
>makes up for how smooth it plays
>loot/customization/RPG mechanics makes it feel cozy
>customise weapon colors
>augmentation relics
>slice and dice and feel satisfied with the different approaches you can have to various missions
>difficulty beacons
>risk and reward balancing
>little story, but you can make your own if you have a brain
>regularly being updated

>Raw Data
>slow, clunky
>glorified tower defense bullshittery
>loaded to the brim with cliches
>every character has only one weapon
>bullet sponges up the ass
>incessant chatter from meme-ai and "OH SHIT WE GOTTA GET YOU OUTTA THERE THE FIREWALL IS HACKING THE REPAIR MECHANISM SHUT UP SIMON" cunt
>she offers no real dialogue and states the obvious
>gameplay is reliant on meme ultimates and weak turrets
>main menu often bugs out, leaving you stranded
>missions are often buggy and synths will remain in spawn or clip into walls as you wonder why nothing's happening
>infinite lives (reduces mission score) is boring
>progressing one character up the skill tree requires you to replay missions multiple times, offering little replayability
>standing on a turret as it deploys will occasionally launch you into the sky and kill you from fall damage
>nobody plays co-op
>don't even want to try PvP after seeing a video on it, instant kill memes everywhere
>the game is $40 compared to Sairento's $25

How can they even get away with a mess like this?
>>
>>61485077
it made it clear that you don't understand how this control scheme works. you would never end up in that situation unless you faced away from your desk, which you're not going to do because then you wouldn't be able to use your keyboard or mouse.
>>
>>61485061
How many VR shooters on steam use mouse and keyboard? I'll wait
>>
>>61485086
I found Raw Data to be really overrated. They're supposed to come out with a major overhaul soon though apparently.
>>
>>61485114
It's coming to the PSVR so I'm sure they're polishing everything for that
>>
>>61485109
Then you're saying your mouse movement does move your vision which has already been gone over.

How about you just post the games you played so we can get over this clusterfuck of poor explanations on your part.
>>
>>61485110
i didn't say they were shooters. the games were minecraft and janus vr.

>>61485143
>Then you're saying your mouse movement does
yes, i already explicitly said this in this post: >>61483696
>the mouse controls the pitch and yaw of your body/weapon like normal, but it only affects the yaw of your view and not the the pitch.

the mouse controls the yaw of your view but not the pitch. the mouse rotates your body and your head is attached to your body. moving the mouse up affects the pitch of your weapon but not the pitch of your view. maybe i'm just not explaining this very well. please tell me which parts you don't understand.
>>
>>61481042
I've got them setup with wobbly ass lightstands but use Blue tack to fasten the base stations to rigid surfaces like the bookshelf and ceiling.
Works fine so far don't notice any tracking issues, the bluetack might dampen the vibration a bit.
>>
I want to buy VR, but atm I can only afford the price cut rift. My computer room is smallish and I would probably only use it for flight sims and being a space trucker. Should I wait for Vive to drop in price or convince my gf and pull the trigger on the Oculus?
>>
>>61485221
That's not looking around freely. You have mouse controlling your vision. Went over this already.
>>
>>61485086
Tell me about it, tried to give Raw data a shot again after they added some more content but it is so bland and dry, there is little joy in the way skills and weapons are used.

I find H3VR gun mechanics far more entertaining but it has no multiplayer or interesting AI.
Pavlov comes close but looks a little clunky tempted to try Sairento BAM and onward since they have singleplayer so you can still get some use out of them when the community dies out.
>>
>>61485282
no, you still don't understand. while rotating you body with the mouse will rotate your view just like in real life, you can still move your head independently of your body, again just like in real life.
>>
>>61485273
Oculus would probably be better for sims anyways, Vive for better room-scale.
>>
>>61485312
English obviously isn't your first language. I give up.
>>
>>61485323
FOV/Clarity tradeoff is not significant enough on either rift or Vive for it to matter. Fine text will still look like shit on both.
>>
>>61485343
I'm just saying its more comfy out of the box for playing a sim longer, vive would need the extra headstrap to be similar and it's already more money.
>>
>>61485339
english is my first and only language. i'm going to resort to an analogy and if you still don't understand then i will also give up.

imaging you are piloting a mech using a mouse and keyboard and you are sitting in the mech's head. the yaw of the cockpit you are sitting in is tied to the yaw of the mech's body/weapon but you are still able to look anywhere you want with your own head, and the pitch of the cockpit isn't affect by the pitch of the mech's body/weapon.
>>
>>61485431
My response to that would just lead us into the same circle because what I said is an issue with this scheme you said wouldn't be a problem.

I'll load up Janus VR with KB/M and whatever Minecraft mod if you link it (since there's like 5 different versions) tomorrow. Not that it matters anyway since the subject was about FPS which leads into more issues bout aiming precision and aren't even examples. Also work on your grammar bud.

>imaging you are piloting

Seriously
>>
>>61485391
comfier I'd agree, have the old vive with the audio deluxe and it is fairly heavy. The newer vive is on par with rift without the deluxe audio strap.

Regardless I'd find both uncomfy for seated due to the cable, TPcast might make seated more comfortable overall since you don't have to wrestle with the cable and can swivel and fidget in your chair freely.
>>
File: fist-pump-baby-yes[1].jpg (17KB, 476x313px) Image search: [Google]
fist-pump-baby-yes[1].jpg
17KB, 476x313px
>Tabletop Simulator finally got Touch support.
>>
>>61485511
>My response to that would just lead us into the same circle because what I said is an issue with this scheme you said wouldn't be a problem.
which problem was that?

>and whatever Minecraft mod if you link it
it was just the free demo of minecraft windows 10 edition.

>Not that it matters anyway since the subject was about FPS which leads into more issues bout aiming precision and aren't even examples.
that's irrelevant because this is quite literally just standard fps controls but with an additional layer of head tracking. this is such a simple concept. i honestly think you might be retarded.
>>
How's Lone Echo? Worth the 40 eur to run through Revive?
>>
>>61485808
I like it so far. It's mainly 'fly here, fix this' with some puzzle/gizmo elements but they keep it in tune with what you're doing. Like pulling a crank to pump water, using sliders and dials to balance O2/CO2 and messing with fuses to reconnect power.

I guess some where see that as 'job simulator in spaaaace' but the story and style is nice. You also have the whole area to explore.
>>
>>61486358
I'll look into pirating it rather

Feel like having given Oculus 30 eur for Robot Recall I shouldn't feel bad about that
>>
>>61483603
I'm thinking of doing a game too, but don't think I can commit and see it to the end.
>>
>>61486843
Yeah, Robo Recall had nice combat but felt way too arcade.
>>
>>61479060
>https://pastebin.com/1PqZfhAW
This is extremely pessimistic and "safely-written."
I played Arizona Sunshine for 30 minutes on the Vive and had an absolutely amazing experience. There was literally nothing that felt bad about it (no hiccups in performance or anything like that), and I see no reason to say that "modern games are still on their way." Fuck off with that bullshit.
VR is already good. Prove me the fuck wrong.
>>
Has anyone else thought of applying for an SBA or a similar line of credit to start a local VR arcade?

It's only $600 per machine, and $800 per vive, so a total of $4300 in startup costs for materials, and then the rental of the space (should not be more than $400-$500 a month).

With this in mind, charge people $1 a minute to play (with gradual discounts, $25 for 30 minutes, $50 for an hour, etc). The average person wants to play for 10-15 minutes, I presuppose, and if only two people come in per day, you're still shitting sparkles and paying the bills.
>>
>>61488288
>AZ

>that piece of shit

>amazing
>>
so lone echofag, is it worth the 40usd?
>>
>>61490238
Not the guy in the thread, but for me yes, but it depends on your taste. It's not the kind of FPS shooter game or even puzzler you might want to play, but it's a fantastic narrative "adventure" game with stuff to explore and do. The graphics, mechanics, UI/UX, and NPC interactivity is some of the best I've seen in VR or even just the best yet.
>>
>>61488368
an arcade in my area has a VR section. seems like a better idea to have a full blown arcade with VR on the side. you'd get more business probably.

anyways, if i recall correctly they charged $50 for 20 minutes of play time. they had 3 vives with a few different games to play.
>>
>>61490410
yeah that's what i hear. think i may pull the trigger
>>
>>61490473
just checked, i was way off. they charge $11 for 15 minutes, $20 for 30 minutes, and $38 for an hour.
>>
>>61490505
Shit I forgot to mention but apparently it's not very long. I've 3 hours into so far and there still seems to be a bit left but I've heard people complete it in 4 hours. And I don't think there's much replay value. I still think it's worth it just for seeing the high quality stuff that's in there.
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 540x845px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 540x845px
I bought a vive weeks before the oculus sale.
>>
>>61490238
You can always try Echo Arena for free and see if you like the locomotion and ingame interfaces.
>>
>>61491628
but i suck at it
>>
Thanks for the advice guys, I got the Oculus. Ordered it today. Flight sims here I come, now maybe I'll use my x52.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (67KB, 630x518px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
67KB, 630x518px
Gorn just got a big update. I'm liking the new Touch controls but the triggers don't seem to do anything.
>>
>>61485566
Now if only we had Space Engine.
>>
i'm being forced to work on leapmotion integration against my will

fucking motion controls, i hope they disappear from this earth forever
>>
>>61494606
Good luck with that.
>>
>>61485605
So as I thought your vision moves with the mouse. You say this is analogous to real life like moving a mouse is the equivalent to moving your actual body. Only a quadriplegic in a wheelchair could say that so this is where the confusion came in.

Already went though this before but this sort of thinking is just treating VR as just a display since you're basically ignoring that you can turn your body and instead gives the main source of control to your mouse instead of you physically. It also gives you less control over motion controls since your crosshair is still locked to the horizontal center. It's just another poor attempt to adapt traditional FPS to VR and isn't even as good as some of the configurations Valve attempted years ago with TF2.

>i honestly think you might be retarded.

This should be mine line honestly. What a waste of time.
>>
>>61483244
> I just want to play CS with head tracking

Holy shit did you suffer from head trauma?
>>
>>61496527
>So as I thought your vision moves with the mouse. You say this is analogous to real life like moving a mouse is the equivalent to moving your actual body.
It is analogous to real life, you absolute simpleton. If you turn your body in real life your head will turn with it, but you can still move your head independent of the body's rotation, just like with this control scheme. Your view is affected by, but not bound to the rotation of you in game body.

>Already went though this before but this sort of thinking is just treating VR as just a display since you're basically ignoring that you can turn your body and instead gives the main source of control to your mouse instead of you physically.
Why do you say that as if it's some sort of revelation? Of course with a control scheme that uses a mouse you aren't going to be turning you body away from the desk. This is a seated control scheme using standard fps controls that also gives you the ability to look around independent of your movement.
>>
>>61496875
>If you turn your body in real life your head will turn with it

You can turn your body in real life while keeping your head facing in the same direction. This isn't possible with this configuration. It's analogous to how a video game body works. You don't have any detached head movement in FPS games.

>Why do you say that as if it's some sort of revelation?

Maybe because you act like it solves the issue of KB/M being a terrible input device for VR when it doesn't. You get the worst aspects of traditional FPS trying to adapt it for VR and you lose a large part of what makes VR what it is.
>>
>>61497049
>You can turn your body in real life while keeping your head facing in the same direction. This isn't possible with this configuration.
Holy shit, yes it is. The fact that you can do this is the whole point of the control scheme. You really are retarded.
>>
>>61497118
You can look in other directions but the direction you're facing dictates where you move. The only thing it solves is the fact you can't turn around 360 degrees.
>>
>>61497167
>the direction you're facing dictates where you move.
No it doesn't. Please stop shitting up the thread with your inability to understand simple concepts.
>>
>>61497258
I have it open right now. That's exactly how it works in Minecraft.

Post your settings then since it supports multiple configurations.
>>
>>61497291
You have the anti-nausea mode turned on.
>>
>>61497258
This config ultimately doesn't change anything. Want to turn beyond 180 degrees and you need to use your mouse to dictate both your vision and in game body, like a video game. That's your only option and in an actual game you're rotating constantly. Maybe you don't realize it until you set up room scale and see how twisted your cable gets.
>>
>>61483435
Luckys Tale is indeed free.
>>
So spring 2018 is when we will see Gen 2 VR right? Iv been waiting to build a high end VR pc and dive into it but I wanted to wait till gen 2 VR units came out.
>>
>>61499659
Valve Basestations are incompatible with the Vive but are being released in November. Odd to release something to the public incompatible with the only lighthouse based HMD available. Take that what you will.
>>
>>61499659
You might not need a PC. Both Vive and Oculus are working on stand-alone devices for the full wireless thing.

Hopefully that's not the only option though. It would no doubt raise the price for headsets if they had gaming computers built-in.
>>
Top VR games?

Cosmic Trip
Climbey
Raw Data

What else?
>>
>>61499732
From what i saw that would be the VR headset for Normies. You get Normies in there to buy cheap vr experiences you bring in the big money to fund the UHD device

I could be spit balling tho
>>
>>61499659
No, more like 2019.

>>61499691
That's not gen 2.

>>61499732
Those will suck. PC is where the best games and applications will be. Thankfully both HTC, Oculus, and most other companies seem to want to sell those headsets in addition to a PC specific model.

>>61499783
Nope, you're right. The strategy Oculus is employing especially is going in this direction and other companies are following suit as well. They want to increase adoption while they work on R&D at the same time. That's why they're going all out already selling mobile VR, desktop PC VR, and soon enough they'll have standalone headset VR.
>>
>>61499777
If racing games are you thing and you already have a wheel, maybe look into Assetto Corsa and Project Cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbYuGIHbyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2a_aS8vG4E

They're not dedicated VR games, but sim games in general gain a lot from VR.
>>
>>61499824
>That's not gen 2.

We don't know that yet. What would you consider gen 2 to be? Valve was in talks for wireless a year ago. That with a higher res display and the Knuckles I would say is enough to consider it gen 2. Eye tracking wouldn't be out of the question either.
>>
>>61500518
Hopefully Cheaper,

I have my Vive, I hope Gen 2 does not make it completely obsolete.
>>
>>61500518
Yeah your standards for gen 2 are way low. The gen 2 everyone else is talking about means the Rift 2 or Vive 2 which will be much better than this incremental improvement you're thinking of.
>>
>>61500715
Even with everything I mentioned it wouldn't be. If anything the Knuckles would be the thing that does if devs start developing for finer hand controls exclusively but you can always just buy them, it doesn't require a whole new kit.

With the Rift's new price being $500, I think whatever comes out can't be more than $600 for a package even with wireless. HTC is just being stubborn.
>>
>>61500821
Well Rift and Vive 2nd gen aren't happening till 2019. What do we call the late 2017/2018 releases? 1.5 gen? I don't think it's fair to call Knuckles 1st gen.
>>
>>61500942
Yeah, basically gen 1.5 most would call it.
>>
File: 1318727108753.jpg (110KB, 835x717px) Image search: [Google]
1318727108753.jpg
110KB, 835x717px
I hope you guys come to VRchat tomorrow night
>>
>>61479060
AR is where it's at, VR is just strapping a monitor to your head. AR headsets like the Microsoft Hololens even have a dedicated CPU.
>>
Whoever recommended VRchat the other thread, holy shit. I just got my headset in today and spent hours talking with weebs.

My life is ruined.
>>
>>61501190
>My life is ruined.

How so?
>>
>>61501208
I've downloaded Unity, VRC SDK, a MMD converter/importer, and a waifu model.
>>
God I crave social interaction but I am too afraid to talk to people in VR
>>
>>61501218
So what, you're ashamed to admit you're a weeb now too?
>>
>>61501190
you got the vive? because the rift has a built-in mic in case you didn't know.
and i get my fill of weebs with my brother, is it just weebs?
>>
>>61501271
Both headsets have mics
>>
>>61501233
>God I crave social interaction but I am too afraid to talk to people in VR
Nothing grows in your comfort zone.
>>
>>61501233
same, hate my voice and don't want to be bullied for it. only ever talk to my cousin on my peecee.
>>61501290
ah ok, didn't know. the earphones on the rift are pretty decent. so figured they bought the headset because the vive doesn't come with them.
>>
>>61501235
No. It's just that the realization that I can be the cute girl is going to consume me.
>>
>>61501271
I got the rift, and I didn't know. But I like the sound on my other headset anyway.
>>
>>61501305
Oh. I meant I got m y Rift in. First time I've messed with a proper VR setup.
>>
>>61501292
very obvious, but sometimes you need to hear it again to get it through your head.
it's just so easy to stay in your comfort zone.
>>
>>61501305
>>61501233
I hope you guys join us in VRchat tomorrow, you can mute yourself if you really don't want to talk and just have fun!
>>
>>61490721
You paid more and got a superior setup. You take the good, you take the bad.
>>
>>61501007
I would if I wasn't such an autist.
>>
>>61501358
is the vive hundreds of dollars better?
>>
File: 7870987098798709.jpg (103KB, 679x453px) Image search: [Google]
7870987098798709.jpg
103KB, 679x453px
>>61479060
do you think it would be possible to use multiple cameras to improve the tracking of psvr?
>>
>>61501531
Yes.

>>61501544
In theory, yes, but it won't happen unless Sony provides the software.
>>
File: 1490855976825.jpg (50KB, 575x575px) Image search: [Google]
1490855976825.jpg
50KB, 575x575px
>>61501531
No. Especially when you take into account all the free games you get with Oculus. You can get the exact same or better experience with the Oculus. Uptight Vive boys just want to make themselves feel better and tell you the vive is worth $500 more.
>>
>>61483026
No one wants to fix this because it wouldn't work as well on vive and they don't want to scare away half of the already tiny marketshare.
>>
>>61501521
cmon man be honest
>>
>>61483026
There are plenty of shooters and games for VR on steam that have traditional movement mapped to analog sticks/touch pad.
>>
>>61501531
It was strictly better a year ago, now it might be oculus cause price but steam is still the superior store for both
>>
>>61501578
Where I work, we've had both headsets since release. We originally got a single Vive and Rift. Since then, we've continued to get more Vives and just ordered another one for a travelling display, despite how cheap the Rift is. We aren't a large company, just a small business with < 10 employees. We stick with the Vive because the inferiority of the Oculus experience is too obvious and we don't want that contaminating impressions of the content we produce.
>>
>>61501626
Nothing to do with it. Touch only games work the exact same way. Did you forget Oculus is making exclusive games?
>>
Any decent VR hentai games?
>>
>>61501698
yeah fucking this. how hard is it to just have to different control schemes and let the player choose how they want to move around?
>>
>>61501721
More and more games are allowing artificial locomotion as options. Fallout 4 VR is already confirmed to have it and is being made for the Vive likely as a PC exclusive if anyone needed more proof touchpads have nothing to do with it.
>>
>tfw a set of the shit in OP's pic costs about $1100 in Norway

Never seem to get any useful discounts.
>>
>>61501706
VR Kanojo
Honey Select
Waifu Simulator
>>
>>61501706
honey select you faggot
>>
>>61479060
I'm a cardboard peasant. Is there any way to dual view with an android? Are there any VR android games? Please respond.
>>
>>61501698
>Oculus is making exclusive games
IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WAY
WHY
>>
File: lol_wut_pear_rabi.jpg (54KB, 538x621px) Image search: [Google]
lol_wut_pear_rabi.jpg
54KB, 538x621px
>>61501832
>>
>>61501578
not worth $500 more, but it will be far better with knuckles + TPCast.

They rushed the vive out the door with shitty controller straps that easily snapped, a sorry excuse of a headmounting strap that put most of the weight on your face, and wands with such horrid grip tactile buttons.
speaking of controllers, one of my wireless controllers haptics started making weird clicking noises like plastic banging on plastic instead of rubber.
Foam pieces and other peripherals cost an arm and leg + the ridiculous shipping cost.

Had to buy wii straps because the stock ones sucked harder than the Wii did at launch, a VR cover to make it comfortable on the face, and a deluxe audio strap to improve weight balance and reduce setup time.
Ended up buying an Xbox controller recently as well for PC.

You get a better experience out of the box with the rift bundle now, if I were purchasing a VR HMD now I would have definitely went with the rift.
Vive's tracking system is its only saving grace but it is not worth 500 more.
The tracking should cost less than a camera yet they charge far more.
I hope Valve starts selling cheaper base stations.
>>
>>61501795
Please don't bully :(

>>61501773
Thank you kind anon
>>
>>61501851
>I hope Valve starts selling cheaper base stations.

They are but they're incompatible with the Vive so you're shit out of luck.

>VR cover to make it comfortable on the face

Vive foam is is way more comfy and doesn't need this unless you're worried about sweat. It's the problem I have with the Rift ergonomically. The foam is way to damn firm and you can't make or easily get custom replacements because it doesn't attach with velcro like the Vive does.
>>
>>61501935
>The foam is way to damn firm and you can't make or easily get custom replacements because it doesn't attach with velcro like the Vive does
You have a point there, I do find the cloth VR cover more comfortable than the foam piece though especially on the stock strap.
Still use it with the rigid strap because it is easier to clean and more durable than the foam piece.
>>
>>61501898
sorry anon

no more bully :)
>>
>>61501963
I found the cloth one worse for comfort. I think it's really hit and miss for people. I do use the leather one since it makes clean up much easier though.
>>
>>61501935
>They are but they're incompatible with the Vive so you're shit out of luck.
Then I have to pray the motors last for half a decade at least, they are the part most prone to breaking.
Not looking into buying another HMD, skipping the next gen.
It is odd that the new base stations don't support Vive, it is just sweeping a laser grid pattern detected by the sensors afterall.
Even if the base station sync method is different would HTC not be able to accommodate the change in software?
>>
>>61502109
From what I gather the sync signal is embedded in the laser sweep itself and the old sensors can't see it.

Pretty sure they'll last more than 5 years. I still have 500gb HDDs from 10 years ago and motors have improved since.
>>
>>61502202
ah I see now, well I did read that steamVR 2.0 is backwards compatible so peripherals will still be able to track steamVR 1.0 basestations, all is good.
2.0 would be nice for adding more than 2 base stations, I do loose tracking with 2 base stations but it is a rare occurence, not frequent enough nor do I lose tracking for long enough to be worth buying a new HMD for.
>>
Are godrays/lens flare really that big a deal in Vive/Oculus?

I used my friends PSVR today, and it was amazing so I ordered an Oculus thinking it would be even better.. now I'm reading about godrays and I can't cancel my order. Fucking hell.
>>
>>61503596
both rift and vive have issues with optics in dark environments with bright light sources.
I don't have a rift, on my vive I do notice the contours on the fresnel lense which might not be as irritating as the rift's.
But the mura effect/ dirty window effect on Vive stands out more in dark environments than the god rays.
It doesn't really bother me though I don't notice it unless I am looking for it.
>>
Bought a rift 4 days ago, they still haven't sent it :(
>>
>>61503596
>>61503663
what he said, you only notice it in complete black on white situations usually with text so not that often
>>
>>61503914
Seems like the wait will be pretty long, they're all backordered
>>
>>61505746
>>61503914
I cancelled my order from the Oculus store because they went 5 days without giving me any information. Best Buy had it in stock with free 2 day shipping, as well as an EVE Valkyrie code and the old bundle that comes with a regular controller, which the new bundles don't. Since Amazon and Oculus are sold out of the old bundles, that means you'd likely get the new bundle if you order from them.

I'd say it's the same price, too, but Best Buy didn't list the assortment of free games that the Oculus and Amazon pages do. One of the rare times Best Buy actually lives up to its name, though.
>>
>>61482995
Games that require teleportation are signs of retarded developers.

We have has the joustic and dad for 30 years now. Why they want to remove that I will never understand. Just use that for movement and head movement for camera/looking.

This is like Niantic ruining pokemon go with their retarded new battle system instead of going turn based like every other pokemon game in existance.
>>
>>61483081
Motion controllers are perfect for shooters because they are the closest to real life. They just need a gun like controller that you can pick up, point, aim, etc.
>>
>>61506280
They use teleporting because using a joystick to move around when you're standing up disorients people and makes many of them feel nauseous. There's no way around this. Developers have to choose to either
>make a game that tells their players "fuck you, have fun feeling physically ill until you get your 'VR legs' "
>make a game that avoids the issue by either adding a teleport mechanic or making levels so small that a teleport mechanic
>>
>>61506365
>that a teleport mechanic is unneeded*
>>
>>61506365
Not him, but to add to this, the problem is pretty complex. What we could do is allow for options to accommodate all players, but the problem with that is around game balancing many times, or it just flat out breaks the game and AI.

Many of the games using teleport only are old games or games that began development early on. These days, new games being developed are coming up with better ways of having stick or smooth movement without getting people sick. Look at Echo Arena, it gets very little people sick even though you're moving around in 0 gravity.
>>
>>61506428
>even though you're moving around in 0 gravity
I'm willing to bet the fact that it's zero gravity actually helps
>>
>>61506644
In some ways, yes actually, but historically zero g VR games have been the most sickening things for people. They were just never able to get it right.
>>
>>61506428
Well it sucks I am a little sensitive to that shit, runs in the family can't even read from a book/phone in a moving vehicle without getting dizzy.
In VR I developed a bit of a tolerance but I still get motion sick easily if the game has artificial rotation and moving sideways at sanic speeds no amount of playtime will change that. Even if it didn't make me dizzy it just feels wrong.
Slow rotation just to adjust the play space manually is fine, as long as it can be locked so I don't accidentally rotate while moving which can get disorienting.

Getting shot down and having the cockpit spin like crazy in war thunder instantly does it for me.
Games like Pavlov with the artificial touch pad locomotion only gets me feeling a little dizzy after a prolonged session. You move from cover to cover so you get some breaks. I wish they'd change the control scheme such that you have to depress the touch pad and not just touch it to move since you can accidentally do so while resting your thumb on it.
Moving forward doesn't seem anywhere near as bad especially if you have a static frame of reference like a cockpit, sensible amount of rotation is fine as long as the aircraft doesn't loose control and roll/pitch/yaw very fast all over the place.
>>
So apparently new Rifts are shipping with improved facial padding. I guess that at least gives some more nice things for those who won't get the xbox controller?
>>
File: 4150GxLSV-L.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
4150GxLSV-L.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
Where's the cheapest place to get some disposable face masks? I'm sick of having my friends sweat all over me.
>>
>>61507427
Oh shit I need to get some of those.

I also meant to look into if there are any replacements that spread the contact area out so you don't get those red goggle marks on your face as bad. Gotta do that this weekend.
>>
>>61501544
Is there any progress on psvr working on a pc or will this never happen
>>
>>61507845
Trinus
>>
vrchat looks kinda fun but can you have happy merchant or uncle adolf avatars? until we can replicate the chans in vr its only going to be a novelty
>>
>>61508684
bro you can use literally any 3d model just upload it with unity, you could be a god damn whale if you want
>>
>>61508684
>>61508762

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvURkvjWsY
>>
>>61507368
Newegg has the old bundle in stock.

No returns or replacements, though. I took a gamble, hopefully I don't get screwed.

It's pretty bullshit the one with no controller is the same price.
>>
>>61508808
Well apparently the sale was supposed to be only to sell off the old inventory, but the unanticipated demand is making them have to give people the new inventory. After the sale ends the price is going to jump to $500
>>
>>61508903
If the sale is making them give people new inventory then it was successful in selling off the old inventory. How could that not be anticipated?

Also it seems to be primarily just Oculus and Amazon which are out of stock. Other retailers still have plenty of the old ones.
>>
File: rays.webm (420KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
rays.webm
420KB, 640x360px
Are the light smearing effects really this bad on the Rift?
>>
>>61507368
That new foam looks better. I wonder if they'll start selling it on their site. Might effect FoV though if it's thicker.
>>
>>61508684
cringe, if it is just that i think I'll skip today's meetup.
>>
>>61509420
buh bye
>>
>>61508684
Does VRChat work without motion controls?
I could teach my friends how to use Vridge but they won't have controllers.
>>
>>61509648
Yes, you don't even need vr to play
>>
>>61508996
No. The only time it might get even close to that is white text on black backgrounds.
>>
>>61509926
Rad
>>
File: 1494568009236.jpg (140KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494568009236.jpg
140KB, 720x720px
>Order Oculus from their site a week ago
>Still on "Order"
>>
>>61508996
I have a Vive, but I don't think that's how the god rays look like. They're more like lens flares.
>>
I'm learning how to add dynamic bones to MMD models so my hair can flow as I walk in VRchat.

What's wrong with me?
>>
>>61490473
>>61490506
I was going to say - you'd have to be a complete moron to spend any time there when 80 minutes would buy you an Oculus. People who just want to try it out can just find a Microsoft store.
>>
File: optical_comp_black68k5r.png (41KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
optical_comp_black68k5r.png
41KB, 1200x400px
>>61512328
>>
>>61512417
I couldn't figure it out, my model had like 20 separate bones for hair I don't know how to select them all
>>
>>61512615
I don't know about the Rift but at least on the Vive, that's close but not quite what it looks like. I'd say it's more in between what you have pictured for CV1 and Vive.
>>
Is there a way to get those Infinite-Realities body scans working on CV1?
>>
Any thoughts about ZenFone AR?

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone-AR-ZS571KL/

Thinking about getting one for development purposes, any major downfalls with it?
>>
>>61512937
They released demos working for CV1 last I checked.
>>
>>61513180
They made some scans for a porn site called VRGirlz that work with CV1 but they charge for them. None of the ones I downloaded from the Infinite-Realities site seemed to work.
>>
>>61513247
The VRGirlz ones are what I'm thinking of. They do have demos.

https://www.vrgirlz.com/news/lucid-dreams-ii
>>
>>61513247
Oh and EMP has some if you want. I'll upload a couple for you if you don't have it.
>>
>>61479060
>>
>>61483603
A Japanese woman fries an egg and asks you about your day.

You'll destroy civilization.
>>
gonna repost what my take on the future of vr from the last thread.

so anons, i wanted to share my thoughts on the future of VR, you might not like it, but i do believe that this is where VR is headed.

so as you know, facebook spaces is in beta, and i do have a friend that has used it, he says that its a pretty weird experience to see and interact with other people and their avatars. but what caught my attention was the avatars, it doesnt just render a head and hands, it shows basically a Mii version of you.

so, with that kind of technology, i do think that the concept of "second life" will really take off with vr. im not talking matrix like shit, but maybe something like adventure time.

what do you guys think?
>>
File: file.png (624KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
624KB, 1280x720px
Anyone else looking forward to HTC's Daydream VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9SUd1Q5G6s
>>
>>61514744
Unless it uses Lighthouse or has inside out tracking, no.
>>
>>61514744
>Vive Standalone Headset for the Google Daydream Platform
>Google Daydream Platform

nope, can't say I'm excited for that.
>>
>>61508803
Oh jeez, this is like Second Life but in VR and without all the yiffing.
>>
>>61514920
Inside out tracking. Like MS' Hololens, it should also reconstruct the surrounding area with photogrammetry, so the roomscale process should be automated.
>>
File: 1495925465393.jpg (61KB, 599x389px) Image search: [Google]
1495925465393.jpg
61KB, 599x389px
>>61514744
>Daydream
>>
>ctrl f "starvr"
>no results
Oculus shit and htc meme are garbage. VR is shit with anything less than 200° horizontal fov. Having ~100° fov and calling it vr is honestly pathetic. How long until htc and oculus would even announce new hmds? 3 years? 5 years? More? Do they even have plans to fix this obvious fucking flaw in their concepts?

The companies are fucking retards and anyone who spent more than $100 on these pieces of shit is a retard.
>>
File: 1481419509705.jpg (191KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1481419509705.jpg
191KB, 1024x683px
>>61517203
>No consumer models available
Can't wait to get a """grey market""" model off of eBay for like $2k.
>>
>>61516974
Oh I'm sure there's yiffing somewhere.
>>
File: What a time.png (385KB, 599x442px) Image search: [Google]
What a time.png
385KB, 599x442px
>>61517973
>VR yiffing
>>
File: 5172350.jpg (18KB, 343x377px) Image search: [Google]
5172350.jpg
18KB, 343x377px
>tfw you see this dumb conversation with some guy trying to explain the homunculus concept to a retard
>realize we're literally having problems now with how we communicate movement of our vision from our physical body
>language literally can't prepare brainlets for how different VR is
>>
>>61517203
>200° horizontal fov.
I'd be more concerned about improving ppd at 110 FoV before increasing FoV.
>>
File: wii_drumsdhpzd[1].gif (2MB, 349x248px) Image search: [Google]
wii_drumsdhpzd[1].gif
2MB, 349x248px
>>61518216
Honestly I've found that the only people who don't 'get it' have already made up their mind that it's crap, a gimmick, whatever.

I blame years of consoles selling laser pointers and motion cameras with promises that they'll make you like like you're 'inside the game' when you're just doing broad gestures in front of a television set. Now that VR is proving to fulfil those promises, people are sceptical.
>>
>>61517203
Not one person I've seen posting this shit about StarVR has even tried it. It's bulky and the optics are poor. The only reason why you want 200+ FoV is so you can look around otherwise you can get away with 120 to 130 looking straight ahead. Problem is you can't do that because the binocular overlap is only 100 degrees, making it even worse than so called "garbage". Not only that, enjoy that even worse fresnel artifacting, blur, pupil swim, and ghosting from 60hz displays.

Just fuck off you dumb cunt
>>
>>61482995
Early rift stuff was with mouse/keyboard. The reason they turned away from that is roomscale vr and motionsickness. Smooth walking with say a keyboard will make you throw up, teleporting is a nice way to fix this. Sitting on a chair in a fixed position is also not the point of vr. Try some roomscale stuff, you will get it.
>>
These bundles on the Oculus store seem like a decent deal, but after already having spent a thousand bucks, I'm hesitant to buy them all. Each pack has a game that looks kinda crap, a game I've never heard of but looks interested in, and a game that I'd really like to try.

>Space Pirate Trainer
>The Unspoken
>Everest
>$34

>Superhot
>Wilson's Heart
>Fantastic Contraption
>$50

>The Climb
>Raw Data
>SportsBar
>I Expect You to Die
>$70
>>
So when is second gen VR coming?

I bought an overpowered PC in preparation for second gen VR and now all that's on the horizon are shitty stand alone headsets, what the fuck.
>>
>>61521471
2+ years
>>
>>61521471

You fucked up
>>
>>61521591
>>61521595
What are you basing this on? Because if that's legit I'm just gonna buy an expensive high refresh rate monitor for now so all my frames don't go to waste.
>>
>>61521471
Right now a 1070 is the minmum for good vr, next gen if 4k will require so much more power I doubt even the top of the line gpu in 2019 will let you run everything on ultra. That said I am currently just getting by on a 280 thanks to vrsickness immunity
>>
>>61521675
>“Everything we’re doing is still research-oriented,” says Iribe (Oculus' previous CEO who's now a department head). “The future of VR, the [generation] of VR that we call second-gen, is going to be a very big leap from where we are today.” So potential Rift buyers will get “at least the next two years” before their headset is superseded by something new.
>>
>>61521675
based on what HTC and Oculus have been saying, so unless someone else makes a high end VR headset in 2018 you fucked up.

Maybe the companies making Microsoft headsets will come up with something good but I doubt it.
>>
>>61521471
Why would you start preparing for second gen VR when we're not even sure if Gen1 is successful enough for them to afford a Gen2?

And why would you expect it to come out within the next year or two? You think they're gonna blindside consumers with a $1000 device without plenty of warning?
>>
>>61521471

Vive with deluxe audio strap and wireless upgrade is almost like a second gen VR. That is coming very soon.
>>
>>61521744
Fuck.

Still, that's a lot more revolutionary definition of second gen than I had in mind, are they really not planning a mid-cycle refresh with better specs but same general premise?
>>
>>61512685
Select the root part to which everything you want is connected. Use excludes to exclude other parts connected that you don't want to jiggle.

Usually your root is the head and you exclude eyes, mouth, head tip, etc.
>>
>>61521925
This isn't the well established, multi-million-unit-selling console market where they can make all kind of slims and pros and scorpios before the PS5 and Xbox 260 come out because they're swimming in money.
>>
>>61521925
That is correct. The industry is focusing on providing a firm hardware target for developers, and reducing relative computational and monetary cost of entry.

We need to make the tech something anyone can buy and use and enjoy, is the paradigm.
>>
Pastebins in the sticky state that 2nd gen headsets are only coming 2019 at the earliest? Is this speculation or based on actual information?
>>
>>61522301
see >>61521744
>>
>>61522334

Source for that? And when it was said?
Also what's stopping the Vive or another company for putting out a headset that is basically next gen sooner?
>>
>>61522693
Not him but it's from an interview from GDC back in March. I think HTC also said something similar back then about the Vive 2.
>>
>>61522693
The source is Brendan Iribe at this years GDC, which was 2 months ago.

And why would Vive rush out a "gen 2" just for the sake of it when they know they have 2 years to put it out and still remain competitive. Add to this that biding their time is in their best interest because tech costs can decrease in that time, and they have more time to work out deals (not that 2 years is even a long time when we're talking about hardware development)
>>
Is there any kind of Adventure / exploration VR game around?
>>
>>61522824
Adventure and exploration are kinda vague. Point and click adventure or action adventure?

The devs of Myst and Riven made a VR game called Obduction, and they claim it's 5-15 hours long.
>>
>>61522824
Subnautica has a lot of exploration but I think it's going to remain a joypad game. Still worthwhile in VR for the sense of scale making the depths feel, well, 'deep'.

Wilson's Heart is kinda like an oldschool adventure game, where you travel to preset locations and fiddle with items and physics props to solve puzzles. It's linear as fuck and some fights/mechanics overstay their welcome though.
>>
>>61522924
Neat, might check it out.

>>61523107
Wilson's heart soons good.

Sounds a bit like Amnesia in terms of gameplay.

Got Subnautica already but it's making me get motion sickness pretty fast.

Asa previous anon stated; teleportation and a fixed standing point just work generally well for VR. Never got sick playing Robo recall despite it being heavily action based.
>>
>>61522824
The Mage's Tale has some exploration in it as you're going through a dungeon.
>>
>>61521471
You can use supersampling now with current headsets with a 1080 Ti, it won't go to waste.
>>
>>61524119
I've seen a few VR performance tests for games like Dirt and EVE show that you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 1080ti in VR, even when supersampling. The 1080ti will last longer for sure, but it's a $200 gamble on just how long.

But there's also the question of what the resolution of the next version of VR will be. If it's 1440p split between 2 eyes then you might have to stop upscaling if you want to hit max fps, but it'll probably last a bit before games start to leave it behind. If it's 4k, then even a 1080ti won't be able to handle that. It averages at around 60fps for most current games, and current VR screens are 90Hz.
>>
>>61524355
Where did you see that? I have a 1080 and I still find that it can struggle in some games even without SS. Also depends what headset you have. ASW really helps if you have a Rift.
>>
>>61524417
What games?
>>
>>61525876
Project Cars was the worst offender.

Robo Recall had noticeable slow downs during heavy fights. Framerate for head movement would be solid but I could see the robots movement become choppy. They obviously did some sort of optimization so you wouldn't barf.
>>
I never got my VR legs. I've had every oculus headset since DK1, yet I still get incredibly sick if I play anything involving moving, especially joystick walking.

I've tried buying some anti-nausea tablets and will try it sometime, but I haven't gotten in the mood yet.

vr porn is great tho
>>
>>61479060
/g/ I want an honest answer.

Why is VR any different than 3D?
I have bought multiple mobile VR-headsets and I seriously love the experiences and watching youtube in theater mode, but is there any reason that VR isn't going to be a dying field in the entertainment field?

I don't want this technology to die, but I have my mixed thoughts about investing big money for an Rift or Vive. Do you honestly believe that VR will see itself being alive enough for it to be adopted everywhere?
>>
>>61527598
because 3d is fucking stupid and VR isn't
>>
>>61527598
Have you actually tried the Rift/Vive with a game like Robo Recall? Mobile VR isn't really the kind of VR we talk about. Compared to Rift/Vive, I don't think it even deserves to be called VR.
>>
>>61528016
No I haven't. I really want. Problem is that it is literally impossible to try it in my region.
I believe in the technology, but what is stopping the big AAA publishers to suddenly say ''Well, screw it''.
>>
>>61528230
Not them but after all the investment they put into it, I don't think that's even an option any more. PC's Vive and Oculus aren't going to stop and there's a lot of phone headsets going around.
>>
>>61528230
>but what is stopping the big AAA publishers to suddenly say ''Well, screw it''.

Because not enough people have VR for the publishers to justify dumping millions of dollars into it. The user base will grow over time to support those kinds of games. However there are in fact good games out there for VR already and better games to come out soon.
>>
>>61527598
3D TV is like looking at a screen that happens to be 3D.

VR isn't like looking at a screen at all, it's like actually being somewhere else. It's a completely different experience.
>>
>>61521675
>>61521471
>>61522693
>>61521925

VR right now should focus on content. The tech is still fairly new and despite that, it's still very impressive. What it needs right now is the content to make people stay with VR.
>>
File: DDWTtXXUMAEMQ25.jpg (75KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
DDWTtXXUMAEMQ25.jpg
75KB, 1200x800px
I really enjoyed demoing an AR headset and I'm thinking of picking one up.

The question is, do I grab an Epson Moverio on the cheap even though it's already obsolete tech, or wait for commercial availability of something with a higher native resolution?
>>
>>61521679
r9 280?
Thats what I'm using, it gets the job done, but some areas you can definitely tell it could be better.

What do you think would be a good upgrade that doesn't cost a gorillion dollars?
>>
>>61530623
don't upgrade GPU now
>>
>>61530844
Why is that? I never did get the details but I heard something is causing consumption to go up? Is it mining?
>>
>>61526870
How long does it take for you to get sick? Can you at least people for 30 minutes?
>>
>>61531972
>people
I meant play for 30 minutes. The fuck? No idea how I typed people.
>>
>>61531972
That's a low threshold but it's mostly a software issue.
>>
>>61532017
I'm just asking because I get motion sickness very easily in a car, and I only tried my friend's PSVR for about 30 minutes. I played RE7 and Far Point with smooth camera and didn't even get slightly sick. I realized I don't really know how long it takes to start feeling sick.
>>
Anyone got Honey Select working with the LRE mod in VR? It seems to result in a memory leak and crashes everything.
>>
>>61482995
They could solve that by having you go forward all the time and stop when you press a button.
>>
>>61529318

You speak as if those are mutually exclusive. Most games designed for first gen hardware would probably work just fine on something better.
The hardware needs lots of massive improvements like losing the wires and weight, improving resolution/fov/optics/pretty much everything. Not to mention we could still see crazy changes like new kinds of panels or losing them entirely and rely on projection or something equally out there.
>>
will a gtx 1070 last the entire lifetime of the oculus rift until the next gen comes or should i get something better?
>>
>>61534635

Redundant question. As long as it runs the hardware (and it does with flying colors) of course it's going to last until you change it.
>>
>>61534635
Should be ok but it will be a bit weak for 2nd gen. I'm waiting on Vega and figure it should be just enough to get the job done for 2nd gen and handle anything 1st gen.

Not to derail the thread but I tend to go 4 years between gpus and AMD gets better as they finally optimize their drivers while Nvidia gimps their own for older gpus
>>
>>61534710
i've heard people playing with supersampling on a 1070 but also some games like il-2 struggling
>>61534718
i was going to wait but my current gpu is old and doesn't support asw and i can't fit a pci-e usb controller because the huge cooler takes up 4 slots
getting a new computer and gpu just for VR is too much money, especially if i end up playing flight sims and want to get a good stick
>>
>>61534635
That depends on how far developers will go.
If you are OK with knocking down some settings then it will be fine.
If you are expecting to run everything maxed out in the foreseeable future then not likely.
Better bang for buck to regularly upgrade midrange every couple of years as new hardware features are introduced which may improve performance.
VR as a medium is still young a lot can change with regards to hardware.
>>
>>61534750
Yeah, that's my problem with VR is if you want real immersion you need so much more like a gun and an omnidirectional treadmill. I bought a thrustmaster t500rs a couple years ago for $400 now I see they are between 600-800. What hotas are you looking at I'm curious?
>>
>>61534792
I prefer roomscale over a friction pad treadmill, just doesn't feel right sliding feet on the pad and you cannot prone.
A gun stock seems to be a must for sniping aiming with both wands is too shaky at long range.
>>
I've never used a VR headset but wouldn't it get tiresome gaming long hours on it? Or playing anything remotely competitive? The beauty of a M&K or gamepad is that you get precise control with little input effort. That said, having the benefit of looking around freely and judging depth perception seems like it would be amazing for 3rd person games like Dark Souls since you wouldn't wrestle with the camera. You'd still use a controller while playing and use the headset just to immerse yourself. Am I looking at this the wrong way?
Also, it makes complete sense that it would work great with any kind of simulators.
>>
>>61534773
gtx 1070 sounds good then
at least it won't hurt as much when next gen comes out and driver optimisations stop
>>61534792
i'm still looking at options but if i can find Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog on a sale i'll end up getting that and some rudders, assuming i actually get into flight sims with VR
expensive but build quality seems much better than something full of plastic like x-56 rhino
>>
>>61534896
I went way overboard with a 1080Ti but that was more for 4K 60fps than VR. Still feels good to go crazy with super-sampling though it gets hard to notice a difference once you go past a certain point, that point varies depending on game.
>>
>>61534604
>The hardware needs lots of massive improvements

It's not a huge requirement to enjoy it nor is it a big reason why people are not buying into it. It's nice to have improvement and better tech. The potential is amazing but it's still very impressive at it's current state. A lot of people are still buying into it and are very happy with their purchase. Read reviews on amazon, and any other electronics store that sells VR. The reviews and ratings are very positive despite what you say about it needing lots of massive. The thing they need to do right now is make it more affordable and have a lot of content. The tech is already good enough to make people happy. The sale for the oculus already proves that price is a problem.

>>61534635
Get a 1080 ti when it becomes cheaper for a complete future proof. Who knows how much more your powerful computer will need to be for future gen VR.
>>
>>61514107
Source?
>>
So how is the development of movement going? Are we getting any of those walking bowls yet?
>>
>>61534884
Depends on the game and how active you have to be. Even if it's intensive stuff, I'll deal with it because I'm having fun. Even if I can't play it for hours on end, I think it's better then sitting down, pressing buttons. People will properly get better at it in time since it's exercise.

as for precision, motion controls win out for full 3D interaction. Guns may be less precise because it's reliant on your aim and you have to manual reload them but that's the fun of it. The other players have to do the same thing.

I think people need to stop judging games solely on playtime and efficiency to do actions. By that logic, Cookie Clicker with a bot would be the greatest game ever.
>>
How is elite dangerous in VR?
I want a headset really only for that game
>>
>go to tech school
>instructor for networking/IT has a major hardon for VR
>won't stop going on about VR every chance he gets
>>
>>61538295
Admittedly it doesn't have the best implementation of VR ever but it's pretty good, and it's pretty much the best way to play the game.
>>
Just finished Lone Echo. Well worth the money. Don't know if I'd play the multiplayer though.

>>61539557
Yeah, joypad is useless and KB&M is blind work. I'm hoping they'll consider ingame cockpit controls as they're gaining popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9FWzMYXhZs
>>
>>61539647
man that is cool, it will be great with knuckles which still has some buttons that can be mapped to do certain functions that you can't do with your hands alone.
Can't really use your hands to step on pedals for rudder control for instance unless you buy foot pedals.
Or for opening up the in game menu without resorting to doing hand gestures.
And of course the satisfaction of pulling the trigger and feeling it.

Can't wait for proper tank and mechwarrior style sims that are hand controlled.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.