[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any free (as in freedom) ebook readers? I feel bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Amazon-Kindle.jpg (180KB, 1024x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon-Kindle.jpg
180KB, 1024x1022px
Are there any free (as in freedom) ebook readers? I feel bad for using Kindle even in permanent airplane mode.
>>
the close you will get is a kobo
>>
>>61477663
What are the differences between it and Kindle?
>>
>>61477707
No amazon botnet
supports more formats out of the box
no amazon botnet
>>
What's wrong with kindles?
>>
>>61478355
Retard
>>
>>61478355
Amazon botnet.
>>
>>61477594

Mine has been in permanent airplane mode since the beginning, many years now. I fail to see how they could spy on me, unless they're lying to me about the status of my wifi.
You can just root it and delete the wifi driver if you want to be sure.
>>
>>61478371
how can something never connected to the internet be a botnet?
I mean my kindle has wifi, but I have no idea what's it's for as I never had any need for it.
I just copy torrented mobi over USB and that's it
>>
>>61478355
Nothing. If you're pirating books, there's way more mobi stuff out there, and epub is easily convertible. Oh right..."muh free software".
>>
just got a kobo aura edition 2.

it initially asks you to install the piece of shit kobo program on your computer and create an account with them before you can use the device, however it's ridiculously easy to bypass. USB gives you access to the firmware's sqlite database.

definitely a nice unit overall. there's FLOSS firmware you can use (okreader) but the stock one isn't nefarious or restrictive. calibre works perfectly.
>>
>>61479219
Shit, just checked for an update for my kindle and saw this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201307450

>In accordance with certain free and open source software licenses, Amazon is pleased to offer an archive file of source code for this software update:

They even give you the fucking firmware source code. FOSSfags BTFO.
>>
is the kindle 8th gen good for manga + general b/w graphic textbooks? it's the cheapest I can get right now.
>>
>>61479489
this
>>
>>61480670
The screen is too small for manga. Better get a cheap 10" tablet.
>>
File: 1499406745194.jpg (66KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1499406745194.jpg
66KB, 437x437px
>>61478810
Just check what's connected to your wifi mate.
>>61480670
I believe there's a homebrew called Komic but I never got it to work. As the other anon said before it's most likely too small for consideration.
>>
>>61479219
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>
>>61484179
You must have missed my post where I point out that kindle firmware is open source.
>>
>>61484190
free software =/= open source software
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.