[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Certs for a 19 years old, taking the exam for CCNA R&S

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: cisco.jpg (33KB, 454x500px) Image search: [Google]
cisco.jpg
33KB, 454x500px
Best Certs for a 19 years old, taking the exam for CCNA R&S later this year any other valuable ones? Will be the first job in IT so Comptia + ? heard thats bullshit though
>>
>>61475554
Certificate of lost virginity
>>
>>61475554
Learning English will probably help
>>
>>61475554
If you dont know shit about networking why even do the ccna?
>>
>>61475554
CCNP Network Engineer here. If you're getting CCNA don't bother with Comptia. Good career choice though I make 80K on 3 years experience and laugh at the saturated programming market all day long.
Do this
CCNA->CCNA Sec->CCNP->CCNP Sec
>>
>>61475739
not op but whats wrong with ccna/ ccnp R&S -> ccna/ccnp security
>>
AWS and sharepoint certs are the new hotness.
>>
>>61475739
Nothing but CCNA Sec is more valuable early on in your career than CCNP. theres no point having 6 months experience and a CCNP
>>
>>61475739

Alot of people say CCNAS assumes CCNP R&S knowledge, did you find this to be true? I have CCNA and am currently doing sec+, my job wants me to get lolfortinet certs because they need it for their partner status but I was looking at CCNP -> CCNAS.
>>
>>61475739
What are some good entry level positions to get your foot in the networking world? There's a few cabling companies in my town and I was thinking about applying to work for one of them, would that look better than some generic helpdesk job on my resume?
>>
>>61476466
>>61476531
No if anything I found CCNP easier because the topics were split up nicely.
Fuck knows about entry level jobs my dads friend was a senior network engineer and got me in to an ISP early on, the general feeling in the network world is 3 years on helpdesk=1 year actual networking
>>
>>61476702
Why the fuck help desk?
What the fuck does that show or accomplish?
>>
>>61475554
CCIE here, one thing I've noticed a LOT recently is that young IT people have incredibly poor social and interpersonal skills, don't know how to dress appropriately, and generally lack patience to the extreme.

Assuming you master the CCNA track I would emphasize working on your soft skills, how you conduct and present yourself, and how to do basic things like show up on time and act like an adult in a group setting.

This will set you apart from a lot of your peers more than an other random cert currently.

And this is coming from someone that regularly performs technical panel interviews for Cisco.
>>
>>61477544
are these young people u deal with mostly pajeets?
>>
>>61477593
No, my customers don't allow foreign nationals to support them so it's a wide range of races, ages, and experience levels.
>>
>>61475554

In addition to my CCNA, I've also found that there's a lot of demand for QNAP and Synology expertise out there. You might also want to read up on ZFS and FreeBSD, it's handy for building clusters and SAN - It's a bit of a cunt to set up if you don't understand how it works, though.

You should also have a good understanding of AD DS and LDAP, and if possible, know how RADIUS works.

Honestly though, it depends on what you want to do; I work in scientific computing, so my users have different requirements (including a frankly dismal amount of legacy bullshit, all the way back to IBM PC-DOS) to big companies or small businesses.
>>
>>61477666

Oh, also - ITIL.

I fucking hate ITIL and it's bloody pedantry, but it's easy to get qualified in and a lot of companies demand it.
>>
>>61477544
Arent AWS, Azure, GCP and so on going to kill CCNA/CCNP etc? Most companies are moving their shit into the cloud now and I am seeing that AWS certs are getting really popular right now
>>
>>61477310
You gotta pay your dues at help desk if you don't have connections
>>
>>61477544
Thanks for this. I've already got a degree and want a career change, I look people in the eyes when I shake their hand.
>>
>>61477712
A lot of companies are adverse to hosting their data in the cloud.

And a lot of entities can't use the cloud due to compliance, security, etc concerns.

The government and the military don't use a lot of cloud services.
>>
>>61477712

Still need an inhouse networks guy, or at least an outside contractor, to setup the internal network, VLANs, proper traffic segregation etc.

The cloud also doesn't work very well for a lot of people.

Where I work, we've got 10gb drops to almost every desk and even then that's not enough - we end up aggregating for some people.

We handle datasets in the tens of terabytes, and as such, the cloud is far too slow for us - so we have our own HPC and storage clusters.

Our processed data and results are small, though - less than 10mb or so, usually.

Bonus; We get to take old GPUs from the GHPC home. Currently in the process of rotating out a bunch of Titans and 980ti for 10 series cards. They're a bit shagged, but they're free, so fuck it.
>>
>>61477544
>CCIE here, one thing I've noticed a LOT recently is that young IT people have incredibly poor social and interpersonal skills, don't know how to dress appropriately, and generally lack patience to the extreme.
I thought my Sec+ professor was joking when he spent 40 minutes talking about softskills. Then the Network head at my mother's office got yelled at because he laughed when one of the machine shop guys sent him a link to check out by writing out the full URL and handing it to him on a piece of paper
>>
>>61478861
I would've laughed too
>>
>>61475554
Just get as many as you can, but focus on those CISCO ones if you want to get the most mileage
>>
>>61477719
How do I make connexshunz
School?
>>
>>61475554
It has always been a red flag for me if they want to see your certs rather than your CV/portfolio.
Our state hired hundreds of MCSEs to service the education network and the schools.
After 12 months they fired most of them for incompetence and started hiring guys with experience. Most of the MCSEs were literal Aspies who couldn't work with real people who had problems. They locked themselves in the server room and said they were busy.
>>
>>61480071
you laugh in the closed confines of your team, only a fucking idiot would actually try to make fun of a user right then and there

stay in school
>>
>>61482079
>working for other people
You should just drop out
>>
>>61475607
>No sir I very much know the English, now excuse me while I "do the needful"
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.