[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The fact that so many people still name Linux as the greatest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 266px-Tux.svg[1].png (31KB, 266x314px) Image search: [Google]
266px-Tux.svg[1].png
31KB, 266x314px
The fact that so many people still name Linux as the greatest or most significant OS ever only tells you how far Computers still are from becoming a serious way to work.

Contemporary programmers never spoke highly of Linux, and for good reason. They could never figure out why it's distributions should be regarded as good. They knew that Linux was simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to Windows). That phenomenon kept alive interest in it's mediocre distro's to this day.

Linux Got really popular not because it's the greatest OS but simply because it's distro's were easy to sell to the masses, they had no difficult content, they had no technical innovations, they had no creative depth. It's a bunch of nice looking UI's with some decent functions.
>>
nice thread dude
>>
But linux is the greatest OS

It should tell you more about the "free market" and resulting monopolies rather than computers
>>
>>61473897
dude, even microsoft is using linux.
>>
>>61473897
Linux isn't 'really popular'. Android is a Linux abortion, and Jewggle is wholesale replacing it with Fuschia so no more Android in X years.

Servers running Linux only do so because Redhat for the most part offered service contracts and insurance for half the price of Microsoft, or else nobody would be using it for a server either.

Azure is tearing up the whole cloud market bullshit killing Amazon and Jewggle in that business.

Research operating systems are moving towards Mach kernel/Hurd (like GuixSD/Debian) because doing things in parallel and distributed is much easier now. BSD kernel is also taking off because it's much cleaner to work with.

Ubuntu got hosed by Apple when they swooped in and offered free "Education discounts" to universities in order to monopolize the university markets, now every professor you see in a videotaped lecture, and all the students have a Crapple.

It's only downhill for Linux from here. Soon we will have a full GNU system to replace it.
>>
File: Piero_Scaruffi_2.jpg (7KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
Piero_Scaruffi_2.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>61473897
>>61473987
>>61474074
>>61474205
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61474205
>linux isn't popular
>android is linux and is popular
>android is shit so it's doesn't count
>>
>>61474205
Linux doesn't matter
I don't care if the future top used kernel is BSD, Hurd or whatever
If it's free as in free speech it's good
>>
I don't understand people that program on windows.

First time I opened a Terminal in Linux I hit tab and the file names/commands autocompleted. I then resized the window and it actually let me choose full screen. Within five minutes I was wondering why the fuck Windows was missing such obvious improvements.

Like seriously why do you have to change environmental variables in a GUI with a single text input?

It took Microsoft decades to release PowerShell. There were alternatives like Console2 but they were also utter shit compared to the most basic shell that comes with Ubuntu.

I've now used zsh shell for the last 4 years and whenever I have to use Windows to do anything it feels like pos software from the 50s.

Oh and everything is point and click in Windows. I use i3 the tiling window manager and rarely even touch the mouse.

Windows is good if you've just started programming but it's a joke for anything serious.
>>
>>61475153
>>61475217
See
>>61474916
>>
File: 1498860267744.jpg (85KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498860267744.jpg
85KB, 848x480px
What is this fucking /mu/ ? Nice pasta turbo faggot.
>>
>>61473897
>What to do... wat to doooooooo...
>I know! I'll make a thread about how useless Linux is!
>Because I am a loser who has nothing else to do with my life!
>I don't care if it's a matter of what people want to use, there will be someone like me to support this! Losers just like me!
Now you can sleep well anon, good job.
>>
File: rzoi6cq5d0ux.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rzoi6cq5d0ux.png
105KB, 883x1024px
paging mister "i switched from linux to windows around 2007..."
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.