[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>dad asks me to check his laptop because shit's slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1489001411601.jpg (50KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1489001411601.jpg
50KB, 408x439px
>dad asks me to check his laptop because shit's slow
>go check it
>so hot you could fry an egg on top of it
>check temps
>97° on normal use
>mfw pic related

what could have happened /g/? did the thermal paste burn out or something like that?
>>
D U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>61471437
Only one way to find out, open it up
>>
install linux.
>>
>>61471462
>>61471472
i obviously opened it, theres not a lot of dust in the fan and all components seem fairly clean
>>
I actually repasted my laptop a day ago and it unironically got 30 degrees cooler. I'm not sure if the paste was applied like shit, or what it wore out or what, but yeah, it actually got 30 degrees cooler.
from 99 degrees to 72 degrees. Its probably even a bigger improvement than 30 degrees since it would throttle even under light loads.
>>
>>61471490
Get some thermal paste, clean the old clunk out, put new on.

Make sure the fan works (If you are a retard and haven't already)
>>
>>61471437
It's the paste
But it will run fine mostly, only with drastically reduced lifespan. My old 5790 ran at 95C idle and it worked for over 3 years without a problem. (Except on summer where I got hyperthermia once in my room)
>>
File: 1486923378571.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486923378571.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
his pc has got an old-gen intel i7 by the way
>>
>>61471437
What model OP? I sure hope it's not an HP Pavilion.
>>
>>61471627
asus, can't remember the model though. he got it in 2011
>>
>>61471689
The last 2 Asus laptops I've repaired:
1. Was overheating. You could hear a faint buzzing sound. Opened it, cleaned and even lubricated the fan. Worked OK for a couple of days but the fan eventually failed and had to be replaced.
2. Was also overheating but the fans aren't serviceable. You literally cannot open the casing holding the fan. It was a pain in the ass to clean and take apart.

Have you checked the fans OP? Are they spinning properly? There are software that can monitor fan RPM like SpeedFan.
>>
>>61471784
thanks for the tip, i could check the fan's speed. it may need to be replaced
>>
Op here. I opened the cpu while it was running and my hand got melt. Was amd. What do?
>>
>>61471923
You are one with the laptop now
>>
probably a combination of;
1. cooked thermal paste
2. dust buildup
3. shitware loading down the cpu constantly
>>
It's dust nigga
>>
>>61471437
As dust wasn't the issue, it might need just some thermal compound renewal.

Although some laptops just have a shitty design, which translates into heat issues.
>>
Clean it, repaste it and its as good as new
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.