[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reminder that slackware is shit and should not be used by anybody.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

File: SlackwareInstall.png (9KB, 801x438px) Image search: [Google]
SlackwareInstall.png
9KB, 801x438px
reminder that slackware is shit and should not be used by anybody. And people think arch is bloated. HAHAHHA
>>
>>61449417
Here's a pity reply, you're welcome.
>>
>>61449417
and they say Opensuse is bloated LOL
>>
>>61449417
And Fedora is bloated they claimed LMAO
>>
>>61449445
>>61449476
what the fuck are you even referring to?
>>
>>61449417
Slackware is fucking great, plus it is the oldest distro, without Slackware there wouldn't have a sight of what you call Arch.
>>
>>61449556
um there would be plenty linux distros without slackware
>>
>>61449556
Slackware is great, but I think you're overstating its importance.
>>
>>61449501
dank mimis
>>
also does anyone think it's strange that literally 90% of the packages are maintained by that one dude alienbob? Does that guy even have a life outside of slackware? Seriously the distro should be called alienbob/slackware or I as call it, alienbob+slackware
>>
>>61449417
kek slacuckware faggots btfo
>>
>>61449567
Without Slackware, the Linux kernel would only be used on obscure OSes/Projects and MINIX or *BSD would got more popular.
>>61449600
What do YOU think? Before, after and without Slackware.
>>
>>61449681
>BSD would got more popular.
im ok with this
>>
>>61449681
>>61449556
I'm using Slackware right now. Reading the manual was an important part of what got me into compsci growing up.

But, yeah, you're exaggerating Slackware's significance. It was popular, yes, but not profound--at least in the way you describe it.
>>
>>61449417
And then they said PCLinuxOS was bloated KEK
>>
>>61449706
>I'm using Slackware right now.
how are you liking that hot kde4 desktop? HHAHA
>>
>>61449639
So it's being maintained by an alien. Now it's starting to make sense.

>>61449706
Yeah I also think this is what Slackware left us. People that know and like Linux.

I also think that a lot of popular distros are giving us more users that are learning and liking Linux that can use those skills to use it in production on a server oriented distro somewhere in the market.

I don't hate Slackware but it's more of a blast of the past for me than a distro I'd use now.

Let's just enjoy using the distros we love to use.
>>
>>61449706
Great, it's my perspective, exaggerated or not, what i said here is just possibilities of past actions.
>>
>>61449747
You know that most people running slackware build and package a lot of the software from source right?
>>
>>61449824
then why not just use linux from scratch?
>>
>>61449864
Because LFS doesn't give you a package manager.
It's fairly simple to package software to install on slackware and update it, whereas LFS requires stupid amounts of micromanagement for every package.
>>
>>61449891
ok but who the hell wants to compile kde5 from source?
>>
>>61449949
That one crazy german dude that loves KDE and releases the package so that other people don't have to.
>>
>>61449891
why not /g/entoo then?

no troll
>>
>>61449969
alienbob?
>>
>>61450002
yep http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/tag/kde5/
>>
Disk space doesn't mean bloat you special kind of retard.
>>
>>61449747
>>61449949

Well, not to sound like a fox and sour grapes here, but KDE4--even if I were to use it, which I don't--is significantly more stable than plasma. Plus, alienbob has a build of slackware that includes both Slackware and Lumina, so that's a non-issue.
>>
>>61449997
To be fair, I want to acknowledge, first, the fact that Gentoo, in parallel with Sourcemage, was one of the first full-realized source-based distros, and it's contributions to the community are irreducible.

With that in mind, it's also and incredibly bad source-based distro, in relativistic terms. Portage is a grotesque, irredeemable, Goliath monstrosity.

From a Slack user's perspective, portage breaks dependencies all the time. It's not just a bumbling mess--worse: it's a bumbling mess that imposes its own ideas on how to maintain a distribution on to you.

From a source-based distro perspective, Paludis and Sorcery handle dependencies far better, and Ebuilds are just downright disgusting. I could go on all day, but just look at the Paludis team's website to see all the tiny little details that make Gentoo obsolete.

https://paludis.exherbo.org/
>>
>>61449891
just use a package manager with LFS, I use https://github.com/FSMaxB/lfs-me and it works great
>>
>>61450391
It was a long time ago I tried Paludis but don't they use ebuilds as well?

I personally like Portage (or any ports clone) but I strongly dislike that it is built in Python.
>>
>>61450661
Yes, technically, but it's a totally different format.
>>
What are the most lightweight distros? I want a non-bloated system.
Aside from Gentoo and LFS
>>
>>61450766
Have you tried Gentoo and LFS?

I guess Arch or Debian are also alternatives - but remember only fags use Arch.
>>
>>61450766
Void, off the top of my head.

And puppy, obviously.
>>
Also Patrick kinda looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.
>>
>>61450778
Where does the arch hate come from? Wasn't it designed with minimalism in mind?
>>61450782
Thanks.
>>
>>61450766
Alpine
>>
>>61450766

Alpine linux can use less than 100mb of RAM with XFCE. The documentation and package selection sucks shit though.
>>
>>61450821
No, it was designed with the idea of the maintainers putting in as minimal amount of effort required in mind. They say this outright.
>>
>>61450821
Not the same anon, but, I think what irks me specifically about arch is the way that arch packages binaries.

Something about those damn arch elitists in every single thread bragging about their package number like the number of packages you have means you're a better programmer or something is just stupid, because 200 arch packages =/= 200 debian binaries, so it just shows how ignorant they are in spite of their elitism.

Plus, this stupid meme where people think it's hard to install a linux distro. Like, how stupid do you have to be to struggle to follow a fucking manual?
>>
>>61450849
Are you talking about Slackware or Arch?
>>
>>61450884
He's referring to Arch.
>>
Long time slack user here, is just me or the new version plus kernel 4 screwed everything around?

My old hardware is dying to run since updated from 14.1
>>
>>61449417
And people think n00b00nt00 is bloated. HAHAHHA
>>
>>61450876
I think you underestimate tech illiteracy among normalfags
>>
>>61450844
Well they are all musl-based so it's normal for Alpine to have less packages.
According to Wikipedia it has more packages than Void tho.
>>
>>61449417
Slackware began to decline in 2015. Things started to get buggy, Patrick foolishly added PulseAudio. And don't even get me started on the long boot times. Switched to gentoo, liking it.
>>
>>61449556
>plus it is the oldest distro
Only a month older than debian and requires autism to use it.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.