[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is indesign the only good program for putting books and stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
Is indesign the only good program for putting books and stuff together? Or are there some good alternatives? I'm practicing with it, and I find it kind of finicky to work with, not as easy as something like photoshop or manga studio for instance. I think you can put books together in manga studio as well if I'm not mistaken, but I'm also curious as to what other programs could be used for graphic design or layouts.
>>
There`s always LaTeX
>>
>>61438719
Idesign is pretty good, but yeah it has a very different workflow than Photoshop. Once you get your head round some of the differences in concepts you'll be fine if you're good with Photoshop.
>>
>>61438719
Well, something like 5-10 years ago QuarkXPress was not just a viable alternative but the definitive publishing software, then they completely shit themselves and now there's no real alternative to Id. Honestly, InDesign is not as bad as it seems, if you think it's finicky to work with, then you're lucky to have gotten into the game this late, compared to ye olde days where even an expert Excel user would break a sweat if he was shown what was needed for digital publishing.
>>
>>61438785
>expert excel user
>someone being good at using shitty office software is an expert of any kind

jesus christ i hate you fucking fags
>>
>>61438785

I think a friend of mine used quarkxpress, might look into that.

>>61438781

Photoshop and mangastudio to me seem easier to work with when it comes to stuff like grids and layers or moving objects around. Plus I think if you want to make stuff print ready, manga studio has stuff for that as well, like printing bleedlines and the ability to put books and stuff together.
>>
Why exactly is InDesign finicky? Are you sure you aren't being memed into free software again?
>>
>>61439098

nothing wrong with free software, I can't afford stuff right now, so if anyone knows some good alternatives to indesign that are free, I'm all ears.
>>
If your problem is freedom when designing then simply use Photoshop before using InDesign.

Use InDesign to arrange it all together, in a book.
>>
>>61439220

I guess that works, the reason I'm asking is cause I'm studying indesign in the hopes of getting a graphic design related job. I'm also going to learn stuff like illustrator and photoshop, so hopefully if I practice enough I can become skilled enough to work at a publisher or printing company somewhere.
>>
>>61439509
I work as a graphics designer. Ask me anything.
Just keep on learning, keep on doing. Practice, practice, practice.
>>
>>61438838
As in, someone that deals with eldritch horrors of spreadsheets that sprawl and bloat with the businesses that use them.
>>
>>61439592

Mind if I ask what programs you usually end up using the most? Or does it kind of depend on the project? I'm more skilled with things like photoshop or manga studio as mentioned before, I'm trying to learn stuff like indesign. But I'm worried that my skills might not be up to the task compared to people who studied at school and what not.
>>
>>61438719
until serif releases their version

literally everything is shit

>>61439509
>graphic design
>indesign
lmao you're getting a DTP job
>>
>>61439727
At the moment I end up using CorelDRAW the most. Illustrator is second runner.

Do you know difference between raster and vector?

I have lot's of things to say, but I'll try to keep it short: If you want to work in a graphic design related job, start searching for graphic design related job places and people (bosses), and just ask what you like.

Maybe keep on going with Photoshop and what suites you best and gather knowledge from graphic design related job locations or people and see where you go from there.

It's not really precise to have skill in Photoshop when the certain job requires you to have skill in Corel, for example.

I think I gave you good advice.
>>
>>61438838
Bitch never seen an excel-"database" or "program"
>>
>>61439944

Awesome, thank you so much for helping me out with my questions. I'll ask around and see what comes out of it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.