[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, I know you are loving Linux and so am I, but today I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Bash-on-Windows-main.jpg (48KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
Bash-on-Windows-main.jpg
48KB, 600x320px
Hi /g/, I know you are loving Linux and so am I, but today I have a few questions about windows development.
For starter I see that with build 1607 of windows I can use bash on ubuntu on windows which essentially adds a in a sense "fast to load vm" linux system on windows and with this system one could run linux commands on windows like say deploying a project on the windows file system to hadoop. Is this correct?
Also with the help of vagrant and docker one could have a virtual development system where one can install all the required libraries to run a project and thus even if you are on windows you an for example use python libraries that mianly run on linux. Is that correct?
If the above statement are both correct than one should be able to develop using python on virtually any operation system because one can visualize the running environment and use bash to run deployment and other scripts.
Am I correct, or am I missing something? Is there a smarter way to do what I just described? I am currently tinkering with docker because it seems to be like vagrant and maybe it could make my development platform independent.
>>
>>61437163
That's the plan, deploying to hadoop and running python should work but in not so sure about docker. The Linux version of that depends on a bunch of kernel container stuff which Microsoft probably hasn't emulated.
>>
>>61437163
"ubuntu on windows" is a Windows subsystem, much like coLinux or User Mode Linux (you can read about these on jimbopedia).

Basically it runs like a Windows application, not as a real OS in a virtual machine. This means it can be faster in some cases, but it has has limits like:
-not a real kernel: the "kernel" of UoW is a "compatibility layer"-like thing, developed by MS without any code from Linux. It is missing a lot of features like various filesystems, loop devices etc.
-no direct access to hardware, this means no native sound or graphic outout. You can set up a pulseaudio server on your windows and use xMing for an X server, but expect bugs and 0 acceleration

Anyway, testing it is quite safe. Try if it does the job you want it, if not then you can completely uninstall and disable it and install gnu+linux in a virtual machine later.
>>
>>61437555
Thank you :)
>>
>>61437163
>Am I correct, or am I missing something?
32bit. Also cygwin did this and a VM can do more.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.