[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how bout a VM thread. Post what you did/need to know/ game trials/useful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

how bout a VM thread. Post what you did/need to know/ game trials/useful tips dat shit
>>
>>61414236
What could possibly have vmware that qemu+kvm doesn't?
>>
>>61415640
vsan, vmotion, fault tolerance, drs, dvs, nsx, etc

and frontend that is still flash based if below vmware 6.X but still better than literally ANYTHING, that you can ever get with kvm.

there is no technology that can reach even closely to what vmware provides.
>>
>>61415956
Does it have GPU passthrough?
>>
still waiting on her leak
>>
Anyone try playing a windows game on Linux with a VM?
>>
>>61414236
do people actually use VMs for things other than running their nostalgia OS?

I keep hearing about server or cloud VMs. why not run whatever they run directly on the hardware?
>>
>>61419070
Yes. For winshit gayming on Linux.
>>
You know the kind of fuckery I did to play some stupid ass games on hackintosh

I used Parallels.
>>
I'm getting a new cheap motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots (one that supposedly operates at 4x, at least it says so in the package).

Is there any really decent cheap GPU I can use on Linux while doing this GPU passthrough nonsense with my more decent GPU?
>>
>>61419282
Good luck finding a cheap but good GPU nowadays when coin miners inflated the prices.
>>
>>61419615
I just want something to watch videos on 1080p/have no lag with the more advanced DEs. Do miners buy those kinds of GPUs too?
>>
>>61414236
>/g/ almost never have virtuslization dedicated threads
>the few we have get full of kids wanting to play videogames
>>
So I plan on playing around with a VM to use Photoshop/Lightroom/etc (currently dualbooting) and I was wondering if anyone has experience with a dual monitor setup inside a VM. That is, having two screens in the VM map to two screens on the host OS (Linux with i3).
>>
>be around 17
>do networking class
>our exam consisted of hosting a virtual fully functioning network
>team up with best bro and build a small network with about 8 different servers and 20 virtual clients
>used VmWare ESXi
>pass exam
>months go by
>second job I score is network admin
>placed me on a new project to create a new network for some callcenter software upgrade
>look at how the network is built
>its ESXi
>fuckyeah.exe
>build new virtual serverpark with Windows Server 2012
>everything works flawlessly
>all my colleagues praise me
>years pass
>get new manager after some time
>another project that didnt really involve me
>suddenly a malfunction in our data center
>everybody points at me to go there and fix it since I wasnt really busy, and they've had a shitload of work to do
>2 hour drive
>I wasnt really informed with the details, all I knew was that I had to replace a hard drive slot on a server
>arrive there
>no fucking numbers on the slots
>"Pull out the top left!" he said on the phone
>do as he says and replaced the thing
>tells me the server crashed
>apparently it was a SQL database
>long story short: I killed the server on his advice, so I plugged it out and took it back with me to the office
>while I was driving back they quickly rebuilt a new SQL database
>2 days later me and that guy who talked to me on the phone got fired

Now I just work at a massive world-wide company as an on-site support engineer, everything is still virtual
>>
>>61419070
>why not run whatever they run directly on the hardware?

VM's offer the ease of maintaining a lot of servers with a simple single GUI instead of fucking about with all the different interfaces, plus its much cheaper

>buy 1 big blade server
or
>buy 50 small separate servers
>>
I have about 200 torrents (~3TB) in deluge
Windows server 2012r2. Works ok but crashes sometimes...

Is it worth it to set up a VM just for rtorrent? what's the best way to do so?
>>
>>61419745
pretty sure that if you copy the monitor settings on your host to the VM that it'll work as intended
>>
>>61419933
it wouldnt make much difference with the speed or processing of the torrents, it's still using your current internet. VM's wont make much difference
>>
>>61419070
At my old job we condensed 40 racks into one with Cisco Ucs blades and VMware. Each blade runs 50 servers and there's 10 blades per chassis and 4 chassis per rack.

Also there's the ease of moving VMs around. We had a huge server for ruining a mission critical service, like $6 million per hour critical. That server was vurtualized and was the sole vm on a single physical server, with multiple backup servers and chassis. This allowed the vm to be moved to another physical sever in the event of a failure. It also allowed us to (not as quickly) move the server to another building in the event of a catastrophe.
>>
>>61419070
>Running OS exclusive applications
>Running shady applications
>Extra secure browsing with TAILS
>giving computing power to friends(or your community)

There's so many uses. But yeah, a lot of people on /g/ do it for fun.
>>
>>61419937
Cool, thanks!
>>
>>61416519
So far WINE worked for everything I wanted, but I imagine you want something like QEMU with KVM enabled for comfy experience.
>>
BEAM is best VM
>>
>>61419867
Sad story bro.
>>
>>61419933
>Windows server
>Windows
>server
found your problem
>>
>>61419961
Yeah I just want a more stable torrent client as I move toward 500+ torrents and 6TB of data. If it wont affect speed much that's a good thing.

>>61420312
People have problems with deluge on gnu too. The problem here is that the best software isn't available.

Just like adobe not being available on gnu isn't a problem with gnu.
>>
File: 1478015207882.jpg (13KB, 228x238px) Image search: [Google]
1478015207882.jpg
13KB, 228x238px
serious question, can u export or import a vm using gnome boxes?
>>
>>61419070
I have one with W10 insider previews and one with remix OS

when I get a better computer i'll make a standard W10 VM too for testing shady stuff
>>
>>61416519
Yeah it works good if you do GPU passthrough.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.