[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, newfag here and I'm wondering what are the benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1490668023066.jpg (561KB, 1071x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1490668023066.jpg
561KB, 1071x1600px
Alright, newfag here and I'm wondering what are the benefits to using linux over windows? It seems a lot less convenient, especially for gaming. Just curious. (pic unrelated)
>>
>>61352291
Freedom to masturbate to anything you like.
>>
Then clearly you havent plaid a lot of games. Imagine all the games you play on windows or used to play on windows that are no longer even in circulation and now imagine all of that for free.
>>
>>61352291
Extreme modularity. Gayming fags can dualboot or be the same baby duck as he was.
>>
Freedom from games
>>
>>61352291
Depends.
Some people prefer it because of hate of corporations.
Some because of mistrust to Microsoft.
Because they don't want botnet.
Because they are server admins and need to use it (e.i. work related reasons)
Because there are many distros to pick from.
For bragging rights.
Because they are poorfags.

I am sure there is more. But you get the idea.
>>
>>61352328
No dude, duel boot, wtf? You could just run windows in QEMU or VirtualBox and play all the MSDOS classics in Wine or DosBox. SheepShaver for the Mac :P
>>
there are literally no benefits to using Linux on your PC other than it being free and that's only a benefit for computer illiterates that don't know how to pirate Windows.

>muh spyware
nothing to hide, nothing to fear. if I was a pedo or an edgy kid that wanted to send death threats to faggots on social media I would just use tails for that while using Windows for everything not illegal. also, almost all the spyware, adware, and bloat in Windows 10 can easily be disabled and removed if you're experienced with computers.

>it's less bloated and programmed better so that means it must perform better!
this is only true if you're a poorfag that doesn't have a SSD and more than 2GB of memory. all good programs, video games, and emulators actually perform far better in Windows because they were designed for Windows and because of Windows-exclusive technology like DirectX. Linux can't even compete.

you will see absolutely no valid arguments put forth to refute the facts in this post, just tinfoil hat nonsense about the NSA and hate towards Micro$oft.
>>
>>61352291
TL;DR: Cool for servers, meh for desktop.

+Free in terms of price and open source
+Repositories, it's easy to update everything whereas on windows you'll have to do with an appstore or third party tool like chocolatey
+Way less malware
+Linux will run on everything
+If there's any telemetry you can rip it out properly, only distro I know of that has or had any is Ubuntu, in addition there are packages like Zeitgeist which is part of the Gnome DE and logs application usage for personal time keeping/tracking, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist_(free_software)

-drivers tend to lag behind, especially GPU drivers
-desktop window x system is freaking old and not meant for what it does now, Wayland is going to replace it but progress is slow, they have quite a way to go as x windows system is old and has a lot of functionality in it, I believe Fedora has an out of the box working system now
-more and more games will run natively on Linux but it's a much smaller market and support will be so so
-stability or lots of packages and features, pick one, I end up installing too many PPAs or distro equivalent and breaking my system after a year or so
-1001 distros and desktop environments, none just work, best experience with Ubuntu, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Manjaro
Ubuntu appears to be the standard and works the best, well supported, lots of packages in default repos, stable, not rolling so gets stale after a while, can migitate with PPAs but will break
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed: KDE works, GUI for everything, rolling but small repos, not as well supported as Ubuntu, currently my favorite for desktop
Manjaro: Arch rolling with a delay, has an installation wizard and out of the box experience, small distro team, they did some stupid things (see SSL certs of Manjaro website) but are improving, AUR for out of repo stuff
>>
Saves money going to the barbers, as you'll simply tear all your hair out yourself.
>>
>>61352523
10 shekels have been deposited into your Microsoft™ Account™, pajeet
>>
>>61354781
Ya kinda just helped him prove his point
>>
>>61354430
upvote
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.