[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't believe I fell for the VIM meme. Why do I have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: vim.png (288KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
288KB, 1920x1080px
I can't believe I fell for the VIM meme. Why do I have to spend so much time to learn a text editor? Does it really out-perform IDEs designed for specific languages? Because if I'm still going to be at a disadvantage after all this I'm never listening to /g/ again
>>
Wow, learning new tech means you're not a wizard at it from the start. Who would have thought?
>>
>>61347791
The time you would save by using software like vim will never offset the time it takes to read a 500 page novel to learn how to use it.
>>
just use micro
>>
>>61347791
I just use vim so I can delete empty lines with dd
>>
File: g_smoking_2.png (146KB, 460x360px) Image search: [Google]
g_smoking_2.png
146KB, 460x360px
1) vim (or at least vi) is on many distros which if you actually have a job will encounter

2) vim opens in terminal (ssh)

3) on your personal computer install a 21st century text editor and use a vim plugin if you feel like it.

Not hard.
>>
>>61347791
Don't use vim, it's a meme for edgy l33t faggots.

Just use Visual Studio Code.
>>
File: 1494912675182.jpg (221KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
1494912675182.jpg
221KB, 792x792px
emacs is way better that a glorified notpad ripoff
>>
>>61347791
>using a fucking 494 page pdf to learn how to use a text editor instead of typing 'vimtutor'

>>61347994
also this, vim/vi is everywhere, can always be used, and is emulated reasonably well enough on any editor or IDE worth using.
>>
>>61347791
If you aren't a sysadmin you don't need to learn how to use it.
>>
>>61347791
Just pick up the basics; it's not that hard.

vi is usually installed on any box.

But, I recommend emacs instead.
>>
>>61347791
This is a very inefficient way to learn Vim: just do the fucking vimtutor during the weekend and learn the rest on the go. Keep the book in your WC though.
>>
>>61347791
Vim is shit, but it's motion system is a godsend. I'm using vim-like shortcuts almost everywhere - in the window manager, in the browser, in the IDE, in Emacs (using it for org-mode mostly). Can't live without it. You don't have to use mouse and navigation becomes very fast. Not to mention that every server has vi/vim installed, so you'll feel comfy anywhere editing those configs.

Just keep using it until you get comfortable, it's 100% worth it.
>>
>>61348655
>Vim is shit
>goes on to shill the fuck out of vim
wat
>>
>>61347791
It's addictive though. If you do get on top of it you may never leave.
>>
>>61347791
>Does it really out-perform IDEs designed for specific languages?
No
>>
>>61348694
He shilled the controls you doofus
>>
>>61347791
>Manuals
Learned vim with stack exchange and mistakes. Suck it up snowflake.
>>
>>61347994
the first reason is shit, the second one is less shit but still shit

if you'd actually have a job you'd know people don't ssh into machines to manually edit configs or whatever anymore. that shit is automated. even so, you'll never do large full blown IDE requiring work. if you want to process files quickly, use a script.

the only reason you'd wanna invest time into learning vim or emacs is customization and mastering either one means you'll basically never have to anything else again. your workflow will be optimised and you'll spend more time working than doing crap around your work
>>
File: Main170705.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Main170705.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
> not using visual studio code
It's like you hate productivity
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.