[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, My boss has told me we need to purchase a server so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: WKSPB61202A__1.jpg (43KB, 760x760px) Image search: [Google]
WKSPB61202A__1.jpg
43KB, 760x760px
Hey /g/,

My boss has told me we need to purchase a server so we can host all our shit locally instead of paying some company to do it.

What sort of minimum requirements would I be looking at?

We are just a small/medium sized business and will only be hosting our CRM system on it at first, but will be looking to add other shit at some stage.
>>
>>61326271
>what sort of minimum requirements would I be looking at?
Shouldn't you know that? What are the min reqs for the CRM app?
Also hop on Dell Refurbished and check out what they have there, seeing as you don't know what you're doing it should be a start to look at some preconfigured servers
>>
First off, I just want to make sure you're not thinking of "minimum requirements" in terms of the same specs with which you'd build a home PC.

The minimum requirements you're likely to face first, even when you're small in scale, are
1) responsible data storage,
2) good networking access, and
3) power.

At minimum you want a discrete RAID controller so that your data is semi-protected from single (or, later on, multiple) drive failure. I say semi-protected because *RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.* Part of responsible data storage will also include a backup solution. That means separate drives in house and, sooner rather than later, off-site backup too. The upshot here is to take your expected data storage needs and multiply by three or four. That's how much storage you'll need up front.

As for networking, make sure that everyone who needs to touch the data can get to it speedily. 10 gigabit ethernet is actually reasonably accessible from the start. Enterprise level switching equipment isn't something you're going to be able to avoid for long. And as this thing scales up, you will need to keep this in mind.

Finally comes power. You're on the hook for uptime. At the outset I recommend using rack-mount cases with support for dual redundant power supplies. The next level of protection there is for the breaker or building power taking down just your server; a small UPS or two can handle that. But then there's eventually going to come a time when you need pricey gear to keep your system uptime in the 99+% range.

So minimum requirement? 3x expected storage (use reliable brand drives) in RAID and backup, a quality 10 Gb networking solution, power redundancy and a rack to start mounting these cases.
>>
>>61326271
just buy xeons, dual xeons would be great!
I'm sure your company will benefit from that!

just don't buy AMD, they're indian tech.
>>
>>61326412
That's a good post. You're one of the people that help make /g worth coming to.

I wonder if server duty was in OP's job description to begin with, or if it's one of those "oh hey you're good with computers, mind working on this?" things. If it wasn't, that could be a fair amount of extra work, and unneeded drama if and when things go wrong. Hope you're getting compensated for this OP.
>>
>>61326271
>2017
>SMB hosting their own farm

Dude, you should really be using a cloud service in this day and age. Amazon or Jackspace.
>>
>>61326412
how do you connect your servers to the internet?

You get one of those enterprise grade internet plans from ISPs or something else?
>>
Get a Thinkserver
>>
>>61326580
I'm sure the office already has a business plan with their ISP. Since they're not going to be pushing large amounts of data around the global intertubes via their CRM system, it's not important that they upgrade their connection or hardware on the ISP end.

However that will invariably introduce the next requirement concern:

4) security.

It will require an abundance of care and knowledge to make sure that putting this server in contact with internet-accessible systems does not endanger the security of the data contained therein.
>>
>>61326271
>What sort of minimum requirements would I be looking at?
A raspberry pi or what moot used: mini macs.
>>
>>61326679
(Just in case that last part wasn't clear: unless there are salespeople or agents out in the field who NEED remote access to the CRM, KEEP THE FUCKING SERVER AS FAR AWAY FROM THE INTERNET AS POSSIBLE. It's bad enough that it'll be on the same LAN as computers with internet access via the switch. That server does not have any business chatting with the outside world through the modem.)
>>
>>61326744
What OS should the server be running on if OP wanted to save costs?
>>
>>61326774
A free one? That's not something I really think is cost-dependent. Pick an OS which can host the CRM system without need for virtualization. Make sure it supports server functionality that can be managed effectively by amateurs (since I get that vibe from the OP post, no offense meant at all) and plays nice with all the hardware. It costs what it costs, kind like the power supplies--cheaping out is no good if it's not perfectly safe and stable.
>>
>>61326572

A cloud service for a data server is still a terrible idea for almost everyone, especially an SMB. Unless you're paying out the ass for a gigabit connection (which most SMB's won't be) you're going to be throttled like fuck on your upload speeds. It's still more effiecent and economical to run your own locally even if that does require all the set up etc.
>>
>>61326774
We will be using CentOS

>>61326572
See
>>61326943

We pay an absurd amount for a company to host them. If we host them ourselves, we will make back the costs in less than a year.

>>61326412
Exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you anon.
>>
>>61326572

Mr Bezos pls worry about your share price not shitposting
>>
>>61326513
>I wonder if server duty was in OP's job description to begin with

I'm not actually building the server, I'm just helping the guy that is doing it.

>>61326412
Do you have any recommendations of products that I could look further in to?
>>
You're going to want TWO systems. One server, one backup system.

For the main server, you want an HP Proliant. Go for something in 2U or up. Get it set up with RAID 5, minimum. Install VMWare ESXi, host your servers virtually, and backup regularly to to the second box.

The backup storage can be as simple as an Asustor box. Just make sure it has sufficient storage capacity.

For bonus points, you can use iSCSI and have the Asustor actually HOST the virtual disks.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.