[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about Discord? I know that it was backed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: downloadfile.jpg (5KB, 245x240px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
5KB, 245x240px
What do you think about Discord? I know that it was backed partly by Tencent.
>>
It's awesome. Best way to communicate with friends and strangers over the world wide web.
>>
>>61326226
It's shit but there's nothing else quite like it.
>>
>>61326226
It's absolutely shitty software that was shilled to hell and back. There are plenty of voice/text chat alternatives for people with more than half a brain cell (i.e. aren't from /v/) that aren't shady as fuck.

>>61326262
>>>/v/
>>
Post the one about Discord using Google Analytics.
>>
there are a lot of long-standing issues that should be easy for them to fix, plus their email support sucks. some of the brainlets i talk to on there don't care and it would be impossible to switch them to irc

it would be half decent if they just fixed mobile notifications, settings, and login confirmation on IP change (sucks when i'm stuck with dynamic ip, and i will never enable TFA because that's an even bigger waste of time)
>>
>>61326226
It has issues but it did somewhat fill a niche of dying skype at some point

Open standards failed miserably to catch up with modern wants & needs, but maybe they will by the time something goes wrong with discord
>>
>>61326226
No better than IRC.
>>
>>61326619
IRC lacks some basic features like user accounts or history playback
>>
>>61326713
no it doesn't, but i will say history playback is poorly implemented on the servers that do support it. i wouldn't call accounts a feature though

the real thing is it lacks voice
>>
>>61326812
You need both working history playback and account support for proper multi-device usage, so you can move from one device to another without affecting the convo. You really are a second class citizen in IRC if you don't run a bouncer, and this is one the things that were always stopping IRC from becoming a non-nerd thing.

Also, while I don't mean that mandatory account verificaiton should be a thing, absolutely everyone is using it because it gives you some kind of consistent identity and is a basic form of protection against spam.

Voice is important these days too, but I wouldn't imagine it ever becoming an IRC thing. I've heard that IRCv3 is having problems with reaching a compromise, so IRC is probably dead in the water.
>>
>>61327055
Matrix seems to have picked up the pieces where IRC is failing though.

Running a web gateway at https://totallysafe.website at the moment, it has an IRC-like layout but support for audio/video and encrypted chats.
>>
>>61327406
>Matrix seems to have picked up the pieces where IRC is failing though.
Yes and no

Matrix is still super raw: no actual group voice chats in protocol yet, only one client and it's web, protocol is still in a draft form so no one bothers with developing clients for it yet, reference server has insane hardware requirements (recommended 1 gig of ram, uses ~200 mb when idle), etc.

I honestly had high hopes for matrix but the problem is that Discord was ready year ago while Matrix is still in draft form
Even if Matrix will get finished at some point, unless it will have some killer features that Discord doesn't, no one will switch over to matrix
>>
>>61327528
Anon literally Riot.im (Matrix based) does this
>>
>>61327595
Does what? Group voice chats? Last time I've checked, group voice chats are literally not in protocol spec yet, it's explicitly stated that matrix supports only 1-on-1 voice (and it has been like this for years already)

What riot.im does is running a relay bot that runs private calls with everyone in the "room" and relays voice between all participants, emulating a group chat. It's not standardized yet, which means it's a riot.im exclusive feature, and not a matrix feature.
>>
>>61326226
Botnet.
>>
Another (((trendy))) social media app for faggets.
>>61326713
why do you want that shit?
>>
Mumble is better
>>
>>61327528
>only one client
This isn't true. There's plenty of working clients and plugins besides Riot, like Quaternion, Tensor, Weechat-plugin, the libpurple plugin, etc.
>>
>>61328148
It's not "shit", you fucking acne-ridden hipster, it's what everyone needs in an IM program today. It's what bouncers have been made for decades ago, it's what hacks like nickserv and memoserv provide, it's why weird clients like Quassel exist, hell, it's what actual people who use & develop IRC agree on (see IRCv3).
>>
>>61328301
Riot.im is the only client that implements current matrix protocol more or less, every other client is in early alpha and missing core features like crypto or voice
>>
>>61326226
it's a literal fucking Reddit chatroom
>>
>>61326226
telegram is better in every way
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.