[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard would it be to build an email host from the ground up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: screenshot_2015-12-15_at_61.jpg (13KB, 502x254px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2015-12-15_at_61.jpg
13KB, 502x254px
How hard would it be to build an email host from the ground up?
>>
>>61304887
Not at all.
>>
>>61304887
Not hard at all when there are tutorials, even a retard with no prior experience with mail servers other than knowing the basics how they work etc. but never set up one could make one (me)

https://workaround.org/ispmail
This guy is based as fuck for making these tutorials, would donate if I wouldn't be a poorfag, really detailed and well explained. Get yourself a VPS or something and try it out
>>
>>61304887
Vince is a fucking faggot
>>
It's stupid easy with this. Go get a DigitalOcean Droplet or business internet at home. You'll be up and running in less than an hour.

https://mailinabox.email/
>>
>>61304963
How strong is the spam filter in this
>>
>>61304977

Spam filter is very good. I get no unwanted junk.
>>
>>61304963
just saw the video... this is actually very nice project. Certainly easier than setting it all up on my own as I do now.
But do I need to edit the scripts myself every time in order to skip some of the steps? (I don't want nextcloud on my mail server, I have a separate server for that and nextcloud uses a lot of resources which is probably why he recommends the $10 droplet over the $5 option.
>>
>>61304887
Not hard but you have to deal with all kinds of attacks and spammers, plus spamhaus may decide to blacklist you if you don't bribe them. There's a reason there's only a handful of email providers it's because of shit like spamhaus blacklisting.

Filter all Chinese IPs for w/e service you make to blackout like 80% of bots
>>
File: miabuseage.png (10KB, 525x153px) Image search: [Google]
miabuseage.png
10KB, 525x153px
>>61305620
The install script automates the whole thing with no option to disable Nextcloud. I'm sure you could do it manually afterward. I'd just leave it though as it runs pretty lean even with Nextcloud enabled. The included Nextcloud is locked down, with no admin access, and only handles cardDAV/calDAV.
>>
>>61304963
that I not from the ground up or even close. can you read?
>>
>>61305682

>There's a reason there's only a handful of email providers

There's a lot more than a handful. Many companies selfhost their mail for compliance. It's just that there's only a handful for normies. If you get a business internet line, it's not hard at all to DIY.
>>
>>61304963
I don't like these solutions because it doesn't really teach you how to setup it from nothing and how everything works and what to do if shit hits the fan and you haven't configured it yourself. I like doing from scratch with help of tutorials because I learn from it and they usually help to troubleshoot too and shit like that. Is my thinking retarded or what?
>>
>>61305891
>that I not from the ground up or even close. can you read?

Yep, I can read. If you want to do it from the ground up, you'll be using the same exact programs MIAB uses - Postfix/Dovecot. They just curate it nicely for you.

If you really want to do it from scratch, then try MIAB for learning and then reverse engineer it.
>>
>>61305913
My biggest learning tool on Postfix/Dovecot was MacOS server. It shipped completely broken and I had to learn how they work to go through and fix the config. Now that I know how everything works, I use MIAB because it gets everything running smoothly and I can look at configs and know it's doing things right. If you want a good "from scratch" tutorial, this one is good:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/how-to-run-your-own-e-mail-server-with-your-own-domain-part-1/
>>
Hillary uses Gmail and just deletes e-mails although FBI has an investigation going on. Why would you not trust Google with your privacy? They protect your from hackers and legal issues even if you were a criminal yourself.
>>
>>61305969
>Hillary uses Gmail

My understanding is she originally used OSX Server. Proves she's literally retarded.
>>
>>61304887
depends how you do it. there's some neatly packaged shit that does all the hard work for you.

deploying every individual mechanism separately is a pretty daunting task though.
>>
File: nice website faggot.png (15KB, 884x138px) Image search: [Google]
nice website faggot.png
15KB, 884x138px
>>61306008
her campaign people used gmail. most of illegal stuff were related with those hacked emails. they tried to log in to a russian phishing website instead of gmail and it started.

>>61304963
>DigitalOcean Droplet
pic
>>
>>61306068
>>DigitalOcean Droplet

Oh, that sucks. I host at home on an ESXI box. Have you looked at the price of business internet in your area? Then you can host as many VM servers as you want. Here the price difference vs residential is ~$20.
>>
>>61306036
The worst part is finding up to date information about which magic part is needed in order to send emails to gmail/hotmail users without being viewed as spam.
>>
>>61306176
honestly the only thing I personally needed was an SPF record and that's not exactly forbidden arcane knowledge.

the main difficulty was getting virtual users and sasl authentication to work.
>>
>>61306176
https://www.mail-tester.com/
https://mxtoolbox.com/

Do your basic config and then try these two sites. They'll point out everything Gmail, etc is blocking you for.
>>
>>61306068
Linode is aight
>>
>>61306190
>rsonally needed was an SPF record and that's not ex

That plus DKIM, Dmarc and PTR record are usually all you need. Assuming you're IP address is clean.
>>
>>61306204
cool thanks
>>
>>61306242
the mail-tester found a problem with my rdns.
I will fix that first.
My only problem was gmail users but that comes and goes.
>>
>>61306829

You'll have to call your ISP to set up the reverse DNS. If they're good, it'll be a quick 10 minute call. If they suck, they'll say they have have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>61304929
>cock dot li
tell us something we don't know
>>
>>61307875

I don't get it. Why do I keep seeing cockly mentions on /g/? Is he doing something good or is it just a meme?
>>
>>61304887
Quite easy using cd exim && ./configure && make
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.