[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/s tatus/883805013113315328

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2017-07-09-22-46-06.png (119KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-09-22-46-06.png
119KB, 480x800px
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/883805013113315328
>>
>>61299147
He's not wrong. Too many retards don't care about performance so it's death by a thousand cuts.

Dynamically typed languages were a mistake and are too hard to optimize to any acceptable degree. Even the best Smalltalk, Lisp and Javascript implementations use way too much memory and are way too slow.
>>
>>61299147
>game designer
>>
>his solution was to add another shit to the pile
wew
>>
>>61299147
thats because the most popular language is JS which is slow as shit and so full of inconsistencies that it's impossible to optimize well.
>>
>>61299224
The popular JS implementations are far faster than any other virtual machine for dynamically typed languages.
>>
>>61299147
>>61299192
This is what happens when you have layer upon layer of abstraction.

We are doing it again with the browser and web assembly. An OS in an OS. At least it will be cross platform.

Soon enough programmers will be working at a level they will have no idea how many layers everything is going through.
>>
>>61299250
>than any other virtual machine for dynamically typed languages
sure, but static languages beat the shit out of it.
>>
>>61299274
Although, thinking about this, development times increase a lot. Being able to make something in a short amount of time is more important than actually doing it the best way which takes a lot longer.

Basically we have people screaming "just get it done".
>>
>>61299333
Agreed. Dynamically typed languages need to be purged.
>>
twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/883016853907398657
>>
>>61299274
better than "this website is not supported under your operating system / architecture"
>>
>go from barely any software anywhere to many pieces of software running on every piece of silicon all the fucking time in barely 20 years
>surprised when people can't keep up
I'm surprised we have any software that works.
>>
I enjoy what I've seen of his language. It probably won't ever be some super amazing new thing but I know I'll play with it once he releases it. There was a good talk he did recently on the language I think at gdc.
>>
is he finally going to release his shitty compiler?
>>
Electron was a mistake.
Not HTML/JS on the desktop, that's actually not a bad idea, it's only bad because webdevs are dumb and they take their dumb ideas with them.
The mistake was that they reused a software designed to run in a single instance and run multiple applications and made it into a framework everyone has to carry with themselves and run themselves.
So instead of having a 7-8 chrom*.exe running for 2-3 applications you have 20 processes.
This is basically an extension of the regular Windows sickness of not having any kind of dependency management in the operating system itself.
>>
>>61299147
>Today's software is orders of magnitude easier to build than ever before
How are people on Twitter so fucking retarded?
>>
>>61301211
but that is true
>>
>>61301215
It's not. Software didn't have didn't used to have 200 dependencies.
>>
>>61301236
but it fucking is
that´s why you get retarded dependencies
software is supposed to do x y z
"coder" ads dependencies for x y z
"coder" writes own code
do x; do y; do z;
"coder" now has a functioning program that does x y z

of course this is exaggerated but you fucking know that i am right or else you haven´t seen the shit that is written
>>
>>61299147
>t. ramlet
>>
File: 1443908927995.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1443908927995.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>GNU/NEETs don't understand that the most valuable resource is developer time

dumb autists
>>
>>61299765
Are you kidding? Web devs don't know what graceful failure is, you'd simply load a blank website
>>
>>61301595
This
as much as NEET ramlets with 8 (or, g*d forbid, 4) GB of RAM don't believe it, we do live in an age where it is affordable to simply throw more resources at a problem. RAM sticks are worth infinitely less than developer time.
>>
File: discord can't connect.gif (109KB, 640x600px) Image search: [Google]
discord can't connect.gif
109KB, 640x600px
>>61301624
or useless error messages
>>
>>61301595
Writing unmaintainable programs leads to more development time later. Writing shitty programs leads to hardware costs. Better to pay someone more to write it properly than worry about it later and hire a million patch monkeys at random points.
>>
>>61301741
unless it's running on a cluster for extended periods of time, hardware costs are nothing compared to dev time
>>
>>61299147
He designed a 2D game and put it in a bare bones 3D world. He has no room to talk.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.