[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mom's laptop completely shitted itself and cant even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: capture.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
My mom's laptop completely shitted itself and cant even take in windows recovery cds without doing a BSOD loop after. So im gonna see if i can install linux mint on it. I dont know anything about linux but it shouldnt be too hard. If this doesnt work though idk, maybe the harddrive is corrupted or something, then what do i do...

>pic related
your thoughts?
>>
The hard drive might have bad sectors, but corrupted data isn't a concern. You're going to wipe it all anyway. You're not going to recover anything into Linux.

And if the HDD is really fubar then you'll order a 60-120GB SSD online, pop it in for her and she can enjoy a faster computer.

Also maybe instead of wiping and going to Linux, you can try wiping and doing a fresh install of Windows. She'll probably appreciate that.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
something happened :^)

don't be surprised if you can't access the drive even after installing linux. linux didn't like my windows drives and keep doing weird things like having them disappear or not be accessible
>>
>>61297829
That's not a "Windows drive" problem. Either you didn't properly format the drive before installing Linux or it was a physically defective drive which Windows had been covering for by knowing to ignore the fucked up parts. A healthy drive would not look any different than a bare drive off of a warehouse shelf otherwise, though.
>>
>>61297774
:(
>>
Im trying to wipe with darik's boot and nuke, the thing cant detect my burned cd or usb. But it loads a burned cd of linux mint... Im looking online and maybe its something to do with sata configuration?
>>
>>61298270
If you can boot into Linux Mint, you can wipe the drive from the terminal emulator. Also the installation process should, at some point, prompt you to format and repartition drives anyway.
>>
>>61297774
Install Gentoo
>>
>>61297774
>your thoughts?
if you love your mom, buy her a MacBook.
>>
>>61298286
If i wipe it clean will i loose RAID data?
>>
>>61298412
You will lose everything. You're not even going to keep the same filesystem.
>>
>>61298421
oh good, cause i was dicking around earlier and reset the main hdd to non raid, when i start it up it looks how a wiped drive should look
>>
GIVE IT BACK AIRWRECKA
>>
>>61298442
Friends don't let friends casually RAID.

Unless you're going to run dual SSDs in RAID 0 like some sort of wannabe badass, just leave those days behind you.
>>
>>61298476
it was all setup as raid0 by default, the main drive (1tb) and the 2 small recovery drives or whatever theyre for.
>>
>>61298495
Let's pretend that never happened.

Also are they two small recovery drives or small recovery partitions alongside the big one on a single HDD? I'm thinking it's probably the latter. If that's the case then it's a good as time as any to get the idea that "partitions = drives" into the garbage. Makes things confusing.
>>
File: capture.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>61298523
they prob partitions, anyway the thing still wont boot from the usb stick with the boot n nuke. The light from the usb goes on for a bit then off and it loads this screen
>>
>>61297774
Install Gentoo
>>
>>61298638
That can happen, among other reasons, because the USB was not prepared in the correct way to make it bootable. Just presenting that as a possibility.

I'm also still not sure why you wouldn't just use the Mint CD to run installation and let the installer wipe your stuff.

Bonus points: when doing that, don't touch the recovery partitions. You might still be able to salvage Windows later on once you wipe the main partition for your Linux install.
>>
>>61298683
i thought i had to wipe before installing, but ill try it. i did the usb as instructed, used 3 of them, same shit. I have some windows 8 cds so i dont think i should worry much about the partitions.

im gonna try installing mint now though
>>
>>61298718
Oh if you have other Windows recovery media then fuck it, no sweat.

Yeah you don't have to wipe before installation. All modern OS installers come with formatting and partitioning functionality built in. Life's easy.
>>
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>BAIT
BAIT
>>
File: capture.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>61298736
sweet. so i booted the cd, i install in oem mode?
>>
>>61298834
You got it bossman.
>>
forgot to say thanks to you /g/entlemen
>>
Try recovera live usb/CD to see if you can get the data off the drive if you havent wiped it yet.
>>
looks like you're getting a hardware failure from the intel storage driver.

GL with linux, I don't think it will fix the issue. Try resetting bios to safe defaults.
>>
>>61298638
HP
fucking HP
FUCCCCK HP, worst company
>>
gligar13 probably has the answer. go ask him.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.