[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This is kind of a big feels bit I'll post it anyway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: wri9utqgt43y.png (127KB, 391x389px) Image search: [Google]
wri9utqgt43y.png
127KB, 391x389px
>This is kind of a big feels bit I'll post it anyway

I signed an offer at a new company and things have been kind of rough mostly because other engineers are not really into sharing information

I had to build some servers, network devices, and firewalls recently and they only gave me one piece of the information and told me what I was working on would work flawless, well I never really go to project trusting everyone word so I verified everything on my own and noticed one crucial issue.

In this whole design, there is one device somewhere on the network doing some function that I need to access and login to verify what function this device has and if any of this will work or not

They left out crucial information and didn't tell me, most likely expecting me to fail however I'm not the type of engineer who lets things fail and go unanswered. I ended up troubleshooting in a lab and figuring everything out one piece of technology at a time and eventually built a map of how everything works.

I fixed everything and they don't know about it yet, they think that once this goes live ,anon will come kicking and screaming that something "didn't work" and they would be forced in helping out to make themselves look important in this role

Well, good news fellas. I solved it and designed it in a way that everything is working, has been tested and will work on day or product launch.

I haven't told them, nor will I tell them I figured out the pieces they left unanswered in hopes that I would fail. When everything goes live, and the internet starts working they will either laugh or say holy shit that guy did it even though we gave him the wrong info.........

>I know what some might be thinking
>I've already been told to leave this company from friends since it seems like a toxic work environment
>However, the money is just too good right now and I am trying to at least get a year or 1.5 years in the company before leaving....
>>
Congrats op. Your efforts reflect well on us
>>
>>61296760
If this is true you're the hero I aspire to be.
Underdo/g/s.
>>
File: rrr.jpg (382KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rrr.jpg
382KB, 1600x1200px
Been in many similar situations. You have to work twice as hard to make up for the ill will of your coworkers. Just remember the 80-20 rule. Twenty percent of the workers do 80% of the work. Every manager knows this. When the manager figures out that you are the one person out of the five that is actually getting shit done, a year from now you will get a raise or promoted and the plotting bastards will not. Also, the more extra bullshit you put up with, the more you learn. All positive, all good vibes. Just keep your head down and do your job, don't get bitter. At least you get to work with the tech you love, unlike most anons.
>>
>>61297183
Well there would be no point in making it up

If you think about it its kind of a stressful situation to be in, either they "forget" to give me the correct information in the first place or they give wrong info and than it is too late and you look like an idiot in a meeting meanwhile they have to step in and act like oh yea you forgot to do a few things.....

Not the case with me, I don't usually forget and I document my work in a way where I can reflect on it and re-build any kind of configuration or design....

It isn't a good situation to be in, but I'll try to continue and smile at work even though they feed me the wrong info. Also they will learn on their own that everything worked, it wouldn't surpirse me if they reviewed my design in the next few weeks and even brought it up how I figured it out etc..

Its a game in IT, you have to know how to play it..
>>
>>61297336
>When the manager figures out that you are the one person out of the five that is actually getting shit done,

The manager already reached out to me to assist him with a config, I laughed but did provide my answers to management

Basically this happened last week, I'm working on a design and I document everything in scripts, configs, design documents in visio etc...

Management requests to see my configs and they want the scripts, I provide it to them

They use my design as a reference point and use what I gave them so they can do their work, they told me this and I had a thought in my mind, why would a manager not go to Senior engineers for these answers but they come to me?
I've been with the company for 5 months, and I have to do a lot of work here and even the senior guys bust their ass, but they don't provide answers to anyone..

Good luck asking them for something, they're usually to busy or they will give you the wrong answers...

My managers keep coming to me and another coworker even whos been there for 6-7 months. Can you believe, that I'm teaching a guy who is 2.5 months into his role longer than me and I have to teach him shit?

Either way, I'll quit sometime next year. This is too much headache...
>>
>>61297336
>, don't get bitter. At least you get to work with the tech you love, unlike most anons.

I'll try to keep that in mind, thanks

However, I am quite bitter about this since they should be giving me the correct and documented answers when a fellow engineer asks for them, I don't play office politics so this is another issue to add to my daily life woes....

I'm not happy about it, but I'll try to stay here as long as I can. These guys have been here over 10 years and I understand, he has his gig and he doesn't want a guy who is a few months outshining him......
>>
File: 1491880615683.jpg (46KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1491880615683.jpg
46KB, 499x499px
>>61296760
I'm glad for you OP, your experience reflects on my work experience over the many years I've been in the industry. It's a cruel dog-eat-dog world out there. Thankfully, we have Jesus Christ who is our Saviour. Remember to turn the other cheek, to repent of your sins, read your Bible in the Spirit, and pray. God bless anon.

But I say to you, do not resist an evil person. But whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other as well. And if anyone sues you in a court of law and takes away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go a mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who would borrow from you do not turn away.

- Matthew 5:39-42
>>
>>61296760
You should probably start job hunting soon. It would be a good idea to start since you're a few months in this company and might land another role in a few months. Your experience can be used elsewhere anon
>>
>>61297424
go to bed Terry
>>
hwo do i unsubscribe from your blog?
>>
honestly, it sounds like you're just a sperg who's unwilling to ask for help. I doubt your coworkers are even aware that this one device was so central to your task, and you'll just have a slightly unpleasant surprise when nobody cares about your 1337 reverse engineering or whatever.
>>
>>61297866
Hmm, okay

Thread will die in a few hours

I'm out for the night anyway...

Thanks for the support fellas
>>
>>61296760
Or, you know, maybe it was just an honest oversight?

You could've asked about it.
It's true, there are a lot of people out in the wrold trying to get you. But also most people are just dumb and forget shit and make oversights.

If I was a hiring manager and knew this story, I wouldn't hire you. This shows you to be a bad employee.
Good employees are good communicators. A part of good communication is acting under the assumption of best intentions. Yes, you have to be prepared to respond to bad intentions, but that comes after you ask and they give you misinformation or otherwise try to prevent you from succeeding.

Your company tells you that you're in a toxic work environment, but with the information given, it's just as possible that the environment is fine and you're a toxic employee.
>>
>>61297967
I actually appreciate your opinion, really good to hear things from that point of view however from my perspective I asked multiple people to provide the information as of June 6th, roughly a month ago started building the info, they gave bits and pieces. Last week verified the info again and they mentioned nothing of the critical system which I was going to need to make this work, they had a month to tell me each system, they forgot it this one even though it is the main system and without it nothing works?

Either way, appreciate the comment and your opinion is actually very valid as well

Thanks, good night.. work in the morning...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.