[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck does Vim jump lines when I'm trying to edit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: yum.jpg (20KB, 450x489px) Image search: [Google]
yum.jpg
20KB, 450x489px
Why the fuck does Vim jump lines when I'm trying to edit a file? For example, I'll be on line 40, trying to go to line 42, but instead, it 'jumps' to line 44, avoiding the line I want to go to. What is this bullshit?

To make this thread relevant to the board, should I switch to emacs? Which do you use? Pros/Cons?
>>
>>61294922
That's what you get for using inferior software. Emacs doesn't have these problems.
>>
>>61294933
Hm,
> 22
> 33

I feel the power of these dubs. What makes emacs superior, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts?
>>
:help pebcac
>>
42G
2j
jj
All work fine on my machine
>>
>>61294959
Lul, fuck ye m8.

How is using the software i.e. what it's supposed to do, my fault?
>>
Do you have word wrap on or something?
>>
>>61294922
How about you describe the motions you used to attempt to move down two lines, so we can instead make fun of you for being a brainlet that doesn't know how to use vi?
>>
>>61294922
Who is this OP?
>>
>>61295003
Not sure.

I figured out how to get to the line I want, though. I literally have to hold 'l' down and run through an entire line of text to get to the bottom(which is the following text).

What the fuck. How is this "fast"?

>>61294959
I guess it is a pebcac. *~*
>>
>>61295068
8/10 I enjoyed that post.
Thanks OP.
Reminds me of the time I had to help my Grandmother with photo editing software.
>>
>>61295068
You're far too dumb to be using vi: the greatest
piece of software ever to be created in the past
40 years. Just use nano.
Your problem is with wordwrap.
I would tell you to turn it off or turn on
line numbering or to map "gj" to "j" or
something like that, but what's the point.
>>
>>61294922
could you show a screencast? I haven't had that problem
>>
>>61295068
oh so the lines were too long. Btw to skip to the end of the line hit $

also Shift-A will put you in insert at the end of the line.

Vim is top tier shit man but you should use the vimtutor.
>>
Today I was reading the vim manual I came across a part of a chapter that may be useful to you. 10.7 on formatting text, shows a couple settings regarding line wrapping and how to quickly convert long lines to short ones.

It is found typing first :help and then within "usr_10.txt Making Big Changes". ctrl + ] to enter the chapter once your cursor is over it.
>>
>>61295551
this is a great chapter. I'm about a thrid of the way through it and picked up quite a lot
>>
>>61295068
:set number

Your multiple lines is actually just one very long line.
>>
>>61294951
Programmable functions, Emacs ecosystem, Lisp, etc.
>>
>>61295064
It's a boy
>>
>>61294922
are you Turk?
>>
>>61295068
literal moron. hahahah. you should stick to nano.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.