[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is linux either super slow and buggy or super minimal with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 144019283740.jpg (86KB, 850x637px) Image search: [Google]
144019283740.jpg
86KB, 850x637px
why is linux either super slow and buggy or super minimal with no functionality when compared to windows and os x?

>buy an x220
>add 4gb of ram
>add a smol 128gb ssd
>add an ips screen because the default tn panel is garbage
>load on ubuntu 16.04 with unity it's okay but uses a good amount of resources
>try xfce too minimal (why not use a wm if you want something that minimal) also screentearing
>try mate, it was probably the only decent one
>try gnome 3, it was too slow and buggy
>try cinnamon, too buggy and slow. felt like gnome with a windows 7 theme
>try kde, constantly crashed and looked like trash
>try lxde/lxqt once again why not just use a wm?
>try openbox, it was okay but too minimalist
>try i3, specterwm, and awesomewm. once again too minimalist

then i download windows 10, all my drivers work, the os feels responsive and fast. it boots 2 seconds slower than linux.

i even tried a hackintosh and besides the wifi card not working, it also was seemingly faster than linux.

can we put to rest the whole "linux is faster" meme? or the "linux works on older hardware" meme? unless you use a super minimal setup, it isn't at all or you have to deal with buggy, deprecated software.
>>
>>61289028
Windows 10 is slow because it wastes hardware resources and bandwith to send my personal data to Micros**t
>>
>>61289028
2 Rupees have been deposited into your account.
>>
File: srsly.png (521KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
srsly.png
521KB, 500x500px
I have a mate that runs Win 10 on his X220 and I run Arch with i3 on mine, he's always struggling waiting for shit to open and mine runs like a god

i3 isn't too minimal if you know what you're doing
>>
>>61289028
fucking microcucks! when will they learn
>>
>>61289053
/thread
>>
>>61289028
cute boy
>>
>>61289053
fpbp
>>
>>61289028
The OS itself is faster. But if you start using programs like Firefox, Windows will feel faster.
>>
>>61289028
Linux Mint does everything I want to do, and is much more private than Windows. Jumped ship less than a week after Win10 launched, as I was utterly sick of the popup.
>>
>>61289073
I literally have a 1st gen i3 and 4GB of RAM in my Linux laptop. I don't even care, as I never feel anything really hang.
>>
>>61289028
OP you're not alone, i've had the same problem, but i installed windows 7 and removed useless services and my thinkpad works like a dream
>>
>lxqt is shit! why not use some minimalist wm?
>minimalist wm is too minimalist!
>>
>>61289028
im using linux with openbox because resizing a window lags on windows even with my i5 4690k and gtx 1080. Unacceptable
>>
>>61289028
thats such a classic is
good taste op
>>
>>61289053
wrong
>>
>>61289028
>things that never happened

>then i download windows 10, all my drivers work, the os feels responsive and fast.
kekt audibly
>>
>>61289028
Lies I'm running kde neon on my x200 with 8gb of ram and 500gb ssd and moded usb 3.1 controller.

It is snappy as fuck, no joke.
>>
>>61289028
My Windows 7 installation runs faster than my Xubuntu installation. Linux is a fucking joke.
>>
>>61289028
>he doesn't want to control his computer with keybindings instead of clicking menus
>he thinks awesome is minimalist
here's a (you) for you, good boy
>>
>>61289028
>fuck off Ragesh
>>
File: fpalm.jpg (40KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
fpalm.jpg
40KB, 640x427px
>>61289028
>load on ubuntu
He installed everything atop off ubuntu...
>>
>>61290329
>comparing 10 year old OS aganist modern OS
put windows 10 on that thing and watch how it hits 100% disk usage, and telemetry services take a good chunk from CPU
>>
>>61289028
Try GNOME on Wayland. It is ridiculously smooth. Like lubed up butter sliding around on a perfectly flat glass plane.
>>
>>61289028
>why is linux either super slow and buggy or super minimal with no functionality

because you're doing it wrong? sounds like a personal problem, honestly.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.