[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

let's talk about e-ink devices. Have you ever used a e-ink

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 12

File: ONYX-BOOX-i86ML-Moby-Dick.jpg (127KB, 1024x634px) Image search: [Google]
ONYX-BOOX-i86ML-Moby-Dick.jpg
127KB, 1024x634px
let's talk about e-ink devices. Have you ever used a e-ink device? when? what? Do you like e-ink devices? I LOVE E-INK TECHNOLOGY!
>>
File: kobo-aura-one-05.jpg (50KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
kobo-aura-one-05.jpg
50KB, 770x433px
>Have you ever used a e-ink device?
I've been using them since 2011.
>what?
Started out with some no name chink trash. Got a Kindle paperwhite in 2012, then paperwhite 3 in 2015 and now I have a Kobo Aura One.
>Do you like e-ink devices?
I do.
>>
>>61263174
>Kobo Aura One.
is this any good? or is it the meme large paper white. i want to save my wallet and my eyes.
>>
>>61263198

in my country a very basic Kindle is cheaper than any high end chink stuff.

I just want it to read books, should I go with the Kindle?
>>
File: 513113-kobo-aura-one.jpg (45KB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
513113-kobo-aura-one.jpg
45KB, 740x416px
what the fuck is this?
>>
>>61263198
how good is the kobo for textbooks? Obviously Kindle only sports 6" screens, so in comparison, this looks promising.
>>
>>61263174
I used to have a kobo mini but the screen broke after a few years

The Kobo store sucked ass, but the reader itself was really, really nice.
>>
>>61263706

I don't want to promote illegal shit, but I mostly pirated books. I also downloaded stuff from Project Gutenberg. I didn't care much about the stores.

Also, do you think e-ink will rise again?
>>
i think some new models are coming out with hdmi ports, that might be usable as external monitors, could be comfy desu
>>
>>61263416
Yes. It is perfect for reading books. Get one with a backlight.
>>
>>61263825
>do you think e-ink will rise again
Not unless screens become much more durable and increase their refresh rate - my dad also had a mini (they make pretty fantastic stocking stuffers) and his screen broke too. I think both breaks happened at a moderate blunt force impact, something not really noticeable at the time unless you were using the device.

With improvement to the tech, though, yeah, I think e-ink could be a pretty common tech
>>
>>61263933

wait, isn't the e-ink screen more robust and durable than the one from a tablet/smartphone?
>>
>>61263933
Increased refresh rates mean higher power usage, which defeats the purpose of e-ink as a lower power device with long battery life for reading text.
>>
>>61263534
It looks like a power button.
>>
>>61263960
not in my experience. The plastic of the screen doesn't scratch or crack as easily, but the actual stuff that makes things work has been pretty prone to failure from things like slight bumps in my experience - not something to put in the outer pockets of a carryon bag
>>
File: Pebble-Time-2.jpg (120KB, 2160x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Pebble-Time-2.jpg
120KB, 2160x1212px
I have used an e-ink device, anon.
>>
Kobo a shit, A SHIT
>>
>>61263174
ebooks are amazing but:

1. Refresh rates are too low
2. The devices are too expensive
3. They have low-quality and old components (e.g. 1GB of storage when a USB stick can easily hold 100GB+)
4. They have poor ergonomics and aren't well designed for actually holding and reading
5. The operating systems on devices almost universally suck ass

It's a great concept marred by the technology being locked down and too expensive.

Benefits:
1. e-ink looks great
2. That fucking battery life
3. Lightweight, compact, and durable compared to ipads and smartphones

I think the most underrated thing about ereaders is that you can dump all your survival books onto these things and have a device with 2+ week battery life for camping. Include some sort of compact power generation device and you have survival information and entertainment on a lightweight, robust, compact format that literally sips power.

What I'd like to see in the future:
Kindle Oasis ergonomics
$100 USD price point
More storage/RAM
Better power efficiency
Battery life in the '3-6 months on a single charge' range
More durable and waterproof - come up with some kind of induction USB cable to transfer data if you really need to
>>
>>61264016

I didn't know that. I though one of the selling point of e-ink devices with plastic screens was their durability.

To be honest, I never dropped mine, so I don't know about what you say.
>>
>>61263385
Man. I hate these tiny 6" fucks. So I bought me an aura one. Now I feel like I'm reading a normal book. I'm so so happy!
>>
>>61263976
I think it'd be more accurate to say "a faster refresh" than "a faster refresh rate"

Like, you can see how long it takes to refresh a page. Easily in the 800ms range. It shouldn't take more than 10ms to refresh. It's not about running the thing at 30fps - you're not watching videos, you're reading books.

But with how long it takes to refresh the screen, it makes everything about ereader UI feel clunky and slow.
>>
>>61264098
>4. They have poor ergonomics and aren't well designed for actually holding and reading
they're pretty much designed that way so you can use whatever kind of case you want for it
my dad has a sweet strap on the back of his case that allows for easy open palm gripless reading
>>
I have one of the first sony ones. I didn't like it but I followed the tech when it was new. The firmware on it got corrupted and its a brick now.
>>
>>61264095
You are a shit
>>
>>61264152
The kindle oasis has the best grip

Actually gives you something to hold onto.
>>
>>61263174
>Have you ever used a e-ink device?
yes
>what?
had a Kindle Touch 3G then a year or two later my dad bought me a Paperwhite from a pawn shop.
>Do you like e-ink devices?
They're pretty good but I stop having time to read because school and YT.
>>
>>61264177
No, your quality control IS SHIT, stupid Kobo shill.
>>
What the fuck is up with ereader prorgress and development?

Has ANYTHING been done since 2012 ish?

It's like the entire ereader market is 100% stagnant instead of trying to make good products
>>
This is great and beutiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu03JY7PXMo

The only problem is that is cost 600 dollars! True, the Sony one it's at least twice the price but for being chink shit, it's still too high.
>>
>>61264188
Maybe you unlucky. Maybe I'm lucky. Who knows? Mine is working fine
>>
>>61264219
The E-ink patent is gonna expire one of these days
>>
>>61264098
Basically this post, but RAM doesn't matter, it's a fucking ebook reader. OS's do need work, and displays do need to change pages faster

>>61264127
it might have been limited to my production run of the Kobo Mini, but both devices in my family were knocked or something and had their displays permanently blacked out in that region of the screen

>>61264183
that looks pretty great actually, but I think it could have been even further exaggerated with a curve rather than a polygon

>>61264187
My dad also had a 3G kindle, that was actually really cool at the time, think it was called "whispernet" or something like that. Great way to just read something.
>>
>>61264219

Tablets and smartphone came. The too biggest problems for people that don't read books and want to use e-ink like a tablet/phone are:

-lower refresh rate
-color

I doubt you will have color fidelity like a full LCD screen with e-ink. Also, I read somewhere that a high refresh rate e-ink device will consume MORE energy because of the way the technology was made.

I was expecting that e-ink will take the market in foldable screens and watches, but OLED are going to be a thing in few years making cellphones slim like paper and foldable like a watch.

tl;dr: e-ink lost traction, it will be dead when OLED happens
>>
>>61264313
e-ink is only dead because nobody is even trying to do anything with it.

It's a similar situation to when apply introduced the ipod and then iphone - unmet market demand because the incumbent idiots don't know how the fuck to make money.

Seriously, Apple could make fucking bank with an iBook. Even though it'd be locked down to hell and back, it would immediately snap ebook manufacturers out of their trance and get them to actually compete.
>>
>>61263385
It's almost identical to high end Kindles, it's just much larger. Exact same ppi, screen quality etc. You get some nifty features such as warm light adjustment, water proofing and a few other things.
It's a lot more customizable and there's patches on mobileread.com to change various things (foot, header, screen saver etc.). All this comes with a higher price tag compared to paperwhite and voyage, but it's worth it if you don't upgrade very often.
Also this >>61264132
It feels like reading an actual book. Reading on a kindle feels like reading on a smartphone.
>>
* mirasol never happened
* reasonable refresh rates never happened
* vendor lock-in with artificially inflated content pricepoint gave many potential users a bad impression (thanks amazon, you fucks)
* the devices are niche, therefore expensive
* screen too small for many "dedicated" readers, but anything larger than the industry standard 6" is fuckspensive

I've owned every model of the kindle that's ever come out except for the DX and the Oasis (fuck that pricepoint). I love my latest-model paperwhite dearly, but I do wish the damn screen was just 2 inches bigger and it had a fucking SD slot.
>>
>>61263174
I had the kindle touch and then upgraded to the paperwhite.

I love the thing -- reads like paper.
>>
>>61266399
Reading on a kindle FIRE is like a smart phone.

Their e-ink devices are just like the others -- feels just like paper. I have a paperwhite. My wife has the fire, and it does feel like a smartphone.
>>
I use a Kobo Aura H20 (1st gen) with koreader (https://github.com/koreader/koreader)
It's great for basically everything.
the stock software is sluggish and sucks for anything that isn't epubs, but koreader does really well even with PDFs and the screen is large enough for me to easily read textbooks on it.

I read a lot and while I initially thought it was expensive it's dirt cheap compared to buying $20 books (I hate reading off of screens, Kobo feels exactly like reading newspaper.) The battery lasts about 2-3 ish weeks with normal use (about 3 hours a day). It lasts much longer if you only use it once in a while because the standby power is ridiculously low.
>>
When is the Kindle colors coming out?
>>
>>61264225
13 inches looks way too big for books and even manga, it would only see use for textbooks.
9-10 inches is probably the sweet spot for books
>>
a laptop with a nice display and ssd is best for pdfs. tablets are okay but require work
>>
>>61263174
Been using a paperwhite since it came out. I charge it once a month and download all my books off libgen and various other places. One of the best purchases I've ever made
>>
>>61264079
that's e-paper, not e-ink.
>>
get a fucking remarkable if you want your mangos on it
>>
File: aa.jpg (29KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
29KB, 500x439px
Don't like the touchscreen ones. My kindle 3 is beloved though.
>>
>>61267249
>$529
>No backlight
How about no?
>>
>>61267221
Same thing?
>>
>>61267221
you forgot that that is also ded and never got a proper launch.
>>
I'm a big fan of e-ink as well... I had a coworker that had a kindle keyboard, I ended up buying one off a customer at work for like 20 bucks, and realized how awesome it was for reading. If your a big reader, it's lightweight, can store quite a few books, is easy to look at, and had a decent battery.

A friend got me a kindle paperwhite for my birthday back in 2013, and the front lit screen makes it amazing to use. You can read it literally anywhere, and it fits in a cargo pocket easily.

I also have a pebble 2 which is e ink and has a week long battery
>>
>>61267276
>$10 per book forever
>no backlight in a fucking book
>>
e readers are patrician af
>>
>>61267498
Do you not pirate your media?
>>
I like them but they're fragile as fug, at least the Kobos. I took a ride on the bus with a Glo HD in my pocket, then I arrived home and the screen was broken.
>>
>>61267675

only if you read. It's completely retarded to have one if you don't read at least 1 book per month.
>>
>>61267769

really? I have one original Kobo reader with buttons and shit. The screen looks like is plastic, are the touchscreen ones have a glass screen?
>>
>>61267787
I have no idea what material it is, but the touch also "felt like plastic".
>>
Tried every sort of ereader in the world and cannot fucking deal with its garbage. I can't stand it if it's not a real dead tree book. Ereaders are difficult to hold, finicky, harder to read, etc.

More and more people are agreeing with me in the real world, too, just search for how ebooks are dying and real book sales are going back up after the initial "gee whiz" factor of those piles of shit.
>>
>>61267778
you can hoard ebooks though
>>
>>61267814

I have to take care of it then. I have it for years, but I never take it out of home.
>>
>>61267821

>hoarding books
>not reading them

why?
>>
>>61266830
still no idea what koreader is and whats so good about it. I'm thinking about trying it but how hard is it to flash back to the original rom if i don't like it?
>>
>>61267361
specifically pebble used a memory LCD which required a low current to maintain a static picture, using more power with movement on the screen. when e-ink is finished refreshing the screen it can maintain the image for a long time without power. both technologies are cool and I wouldn't mind seeing a memory LCD reader considering that e-ink is being held creatively hostage.
>>
>>61267695
>pirate a book
>>
Are there any stores in the US that sell Kobo's? I haven't bought a Kindle because of small screen sizes and I'm going on a trip for a couple weeks on Monday. Having an E-Reader sounds comfy.
>>
E-ink devices are superior to anything if you read books.
>>
>>61268098
yeah but there is some contrarian cunt here who wants to argue on a friday night
>>
I picked up a nook simple touch with the glowlight for $50 a few years back. Still works great. Way better than buying expensive heavy books.
>>
File: kindle.gif (3MB, 680x360px) Image search: [Google]
kindle.gif
3MB, 680x360px
>>
>>61268220

nice
>>
>>61268220
MOAR
>>
>>61268071
Answering my own question here if anyone else is curious. Apparently Kobo has a partnership with some cabal of indie booksellers. If you want to see one before buying, their website has an option to locate.
>>
>>61267931
It's just an alternative "OS"
You can read your book library by browsing a flat filesystem instead of a database of metadata (so it's simpler and faster) and it has nice functionality with fine-grained controls.

On a Kobo you usually use it with KSM which allows you to multiboot with the stock software. If you just don't want to see it you can just auto boot the stock software and KSM and koreader will be wiped next time you update firmware from stock software (about once a month, there's a way to preserve it too so you don't lose it every month). Otherwise you can just drop a firmware image from the website into a folder on the device yourself and reboot the eReader and everything will be stock again.

Pretty easy
>>
>tfw all e-book readers sold now have touch screen shit
Have any other technology regressed so hard?
>>
>>61263174
>DICK
Ebyn :---DDDDDD
>>
>>61264234
>Luck
That's not how quality control actually works
>>
>>61267361
It's not you fucking toddler
It's a bistable display
>>
>>61267837
in case siviliesation col aps
>>
>>61268138
das me
>>
>>61270333
oasis actually went back to actual buttons

I think one of the other kindles and the higher end kobo's did too.
>>
>>61263601
It's ok as long as you use koreader. The original software sucks at pdfs
>>
File: nicenight.jpg (51KB, 736x777px) Image search: [Google]
nicenight.jpg
51KB, 736x777px
I have a Kindle Paperwhite that Amazon sent me a few years ago (when the second gen models had just released) during their "Use it for a month for free, then either send it back or pay for it" promotion.

They sent it to me, I kept it, never paid for it, and now I have a Kindle Paperwhite. The only downside is that I can't register it to my Amazon account (it's blacklisted for nonpayment I guess), but I can still sideload books on to it.

I use it for reading fairly often because my books are in storage.
>>
>>61266754
I wasn't talking about display technology. 6" 4:3 is ridiculously small.
>>
Still using a kobo glo. It's fine but the build quality feels pretty cheap. Also the OS is slow as fuck, it shouldn't be that hard to open a fucking epub
>>
I've been using a Kindle 2 since 2009. That thing has been around the world with me and is still going strong.
>>
>>61264098
>robust
had an iRiver story HD, used it for half a year, then the screen cracked from putting it in my backpack together with a towel.
Since then i stray away from big screens until they can bend
>>
What's a good inexpensive ereader? I do most of my reading in bed on my phone because I'm blind as fuck and I do it before I go to bed.
>>
>>61268029
Are you implying it's not possible to pirate books?
>>
>>61274077
Try koreader.
>>
>>61268220
>ywn own a comfy e-ink netbook with 100 hour battery life
>>
Paperwhite is too expensive here. Is the screen light just a meme and can use a touch just fine? Or it's a must?
>>
e-ink is pretty cool, I just with the Chinese would start churning out readers.
>>
File: photo5969575839735589019.jpg (176KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
photo5969575839735589019.jpg
176KB, 1280x960px
>>61263174
i share your opinion OP.

how do you feel about people calling all e-paper technologies 'e-ink'?

pic related; my Kobo Glo HD
>>
>>61274077 & >>61263601
install Kobo Start Menu 08 (KSM08) and KOReader on top of that and the kobo is great.

>>61263534
the power/reset/sleep button

>>61263825
it will once e-ink corp. no longer holds the patent to e-ink technology.

>>61263960
usually a very thin layer of glass is put on top, or just plastic. not very sturdy.
>>
>>61271039

can you install koreader in the original Kobo Reader? the one with buttons.
>>
>>61275266
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Installation-on-Kobo-devices

should work probably?
>>
>>61275033

if it is too expensive, try to import one from China. Onyx eink are ok, but it mostly depends on how much it's going to cost you the packaging fee.
>>
>>61275431

they don't mention my device. Maybe is too old or something. The last official firmware update is from 2014. I am afraid to brick it because I am low on money right now.

Maybe I will try it sometime when I have money for a new one if I brick mine.
>>
>>61274077
>Also the OS is slow as fuck

all ereaders tend to be slow as fucking balls, they can only get that good of a battery life by having a severely gimped low power arm

>it shouldn't be that hard to open a fucking epub

this problem however might be able to be mitigated, if you use calibre to convert the epub to kepub (kobo's native epub format) you should get a decent performance improvement by just doing this alone but if not there's other tweaks you can do like

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89615

the gist of which is using calibre again to reduce the pages per chapter (which just defines how much the reader preloads) and some further optimisation by reducing the size of each 'page' down, the latter has some drawbacks in that if you reduce the size too much you might end up adding an arbitrary page load on half a page of the book (it'll look like end of chapter but it'll cut out just mid sentence)

these can be done on all readers but for kobos I really do suggest converting to kepub format if you can, for me on an aura h2o .mobi files have page load times in the order of seconds where just converting it to kepub reduces that to nearly instant
>>
>>61275469
ask in the thread here: www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216960
>>
File: 0708171344.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0708171344.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>61263174
>e-ink device
I have only had experience with the first gen nook (yeah, THAT piece of shit)
>experiences
Generally positive, even though the tech was not impressive at all, it did its job and I could read books effectively.
>Do I like it?
Yes, but currently do not use e-readers because I don't want to carry a lot of things, I think my phone is good enough for now, and the is no e-reader currently on the market that is iPad Pro size and affordable for the price range. Also PDFs are still a hurdle with the tech.
>>
>>61268220
How was this done??
>>
>>61268029
what did he mean by this
>>
>>61276040
fabiszewski.net/kindle-terminal/

a few seconds on google.
>>
Are there any ereaders that don't require me to register an account and track me?
>>
>>61276579

lol, just turn off wifi
>>
File: 20170708_121322.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px)
20170708_121322.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
should finally checkout koreader, see what all the hype is about.
>>
>>61263174
I work at one of the biggest retail & online bookstores in my country. We sell some cheap chinesium rebranded ereaders.

Ask me anything you want.
>>
>>61276768
have you ever sucked a dick before
>>
>>61276768
so you're a retailchump, what could you possibly know that would be of worth?
>>
I want one very very much, mainly to read manga on.

does anyone know if there's one that's not that expensive and i can also fucc with it? (I hate being locked down and limited by devices)
>>
My main problem with my e-ink device is that a lot of times, it will incorrectly load books and the text will be so tiny that it is simply unreadable. I have to go convert shit to different formats until something works. Pretty annoying really. However, when things actually work, e-ink is definitely superior.
>>
File: simple touch.jpg (38KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
simple touch.jpg
38KB, 1280x850px
>>61263174
I have a Nook Simple Touch with a 32GB micro SD card in it. I tried to upgrade to a Sony e book that was on clearance, but there was no way to upgrade the OS, it was so out of date. So I stick to my Simple Touch.

Pic related. It's the case I have for it. Feels great.
>>
>>61276816
Not my thing. You?
>>61276855
I know not to be a dickhead and have some basic education, which you clearly don't.
>>
>>61274626
>>61276198
then you need a device to read it on

so you need remarkable
>>
>>61277237
Pretty sure there are epub readers for PC and smart phones, not to touch on ereaders themselves. My Nook literally has hundreds of books on them, almost all of them pirated epubs.
>>
are these things good for technical/math stuff? do they have problems with big images/scanned PDFs?

cheap chink e-ink when? /csg/ says the patent expired already
>>
>>61278299
Not really. Refresh rate kills moving about a lot (so complete shit for reference) so the only possibly viable choice is a 10/13 inches reader which are very expensive at this point (see onyx boox).

I'm using an ipad air until the price drops (any 4:3 tablet works just as fine), the 13' onyx seems awesome but with the 700eur pricetag I can essentially print all my phd books for years.
>>
>>61278426
ah. thanks m8
>>
They're good but nothing like reading a real book. The only thing excel at is convience. They need to make them flat, and without huge bezels. The only thing close is the sony DPT-RP1 but it only does PDFs. Too big also. The regular kindles would be perfect if they were all screen. Refresh rate and color also need to be added and they've got my money.
>>
how much does epaper degrade with time and from switching states?
>>
>>61267271
Love my kindle 3 too. There might never be build another e-book reader with keyboard, so I'm gonna stock up on spare parts from ebay while it's still being sold.
>>
Anybody have this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Touch-eReader-905-2GB-WiFi-6-4-Colors-/281932346147
>>
>>61278602
Tbh I would say they are even better than real books (for literature not technical) since they are easier to hold.

I'm still waiting on a 8+' paperwhite...
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.