[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>adduser [0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_] >su [0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_] >Now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: DDsdD0JUIAA865s.jpg (115KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DDsdD0JUIAA865s.jpg
115KB, 675x1200px
>adduser [0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_]
>su [0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_]
>Now I'm in sudo group
>and It's not a bug
>>
Peanut gallery detected. Take your whining to reddit.
>>
>>61243720
Is it actually treating it as regex or as a string?
>>
>>61243744
fuck off poottering
>>
>>61243720
adduser: Please enter a username matching the regular expression configured
via the NAME_REGEX configuration variable. Use the `--force-badname'
option to relax this check or reconfigure NAME_REGEX.

Some shitty front end was at work here I think.
>>
>I hope that makes sense?
Anyone putting question marks at the end of sentences that aren't direct questions should be hanged.
>>
>>61243720
If you actually bothered reading the thread, you will see that the user who reported the problem had a modified system that allowed usernames starting with zero, which goes against the specification. Enforcing that usernames actually conform to the standards is the task of adduser, not of systemd.

Yes, it's a weird edge case and a bug of the system, but you don't blame systemd for doing funny shit when the rest of your system is fucked up. Unless of course you just enjoy hating on systemd because of /g/ memes.
>>
>>61243873
>fuck you. don't use a rising intonation unless you expect to be answered
>>
>>61243881
>assume the buffer will never overflow
>buffer overflows
>not a bug it's a feature. Don't overflow the buffer on purpose guise :(
>>
>>61243833
it's treating it as neither
the actual bug is something like
User=0day

being parsed as User=0 in service files
I guess it's using sscanf("User=%u") or something similar
>>
>>61243720
systemd needs to go away
>>
who allowed poettering to become so powerful in the ecosystem? why are you guys rallying against pottery when its the distributions and gnome that allow this shit? they are the real dumbasses
>>
File: thatword.jpg (48KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
thatword.jpg
48KB, 600x518px
>>61243973
>Buffer overflow
>>
>>61243960
you seem gay?
>>
>>61244011
suck my dick?
>>
>>61244000
It was an analogy obviously.
>>
File: 1.jpg (128KB, 1282x682px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
128KB, 1282x682px
>>61243984
This
>>
>>61244030
Well the poster you responded to clearly argued that the bug was not due to systemd. Making a shit analogy to a buffer overflow (other than being an unintended bug, it bares no similarites) doesn't change that.
Using >quotes usually implies that you're either directly quoting or paraphrasing the other post, which you're not. So learn to argue your points and learn to format your posts.
>>
>>61244109
autism speaks
>>
>$ useradd -s /usr/bin/zsh 1asd
>useradd: invalid user name '1asd'
>>
>>61243881
"Fail to root" is the worst coding practice ever. Also, some tools allow these "wrong" usernames I think.
>>
>>61244208
>Also, some tools allow these "wrong" usernames I think.

Such as?
>>
>>61244236
useradd on some systems. Found someone talking about it, don't remember where. Maybe it's in the systemd github thread ?
>>
>>61244208
That's the problem.

adduser is set up to block such usernames by default unless you use a particular option to bypass it >>61243862 but frontends to adduser can always just pass that option and not give a shit about the consequences.

It is likely that the option exists because there will be some edge cases when you want or need the system to be able to add a user starting with an integer but a dumb user shouldn't be doing that.

It's like complaining that if you run rm -rf / while su it deletes all your files. You shouldn't be doing it.
>>
>>61244302
Sane devs create programs with failure in mind. Defaulting a random process to root when some not-well-defined system config file touched by dozens of tools with different behaviors isn't in the exact state you expected it to is fucking amateurism.
>>
>>61243976
>%u
C does it again.
>>
>>61244369
PEBKAC cannot be solved.
>>
>>61244411
In a sane system, PEBKAC can only do damage by typing "YES I WANT TO FUCK MY SYSTEM UP" three times. Defaulting to root because of a totally unrelated syntax problem is retarded.
>>
it's time to stop using systemd
>>
Can someone tell me what specification/standard poettering is reading that explicity states usernames with numbers are invalid? And can anyone tell me the rational behind when parsing a username fails it defaults to root?
>>
>>61244302
>when rm -rf / wipes hardware firmware because of systemd
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.