[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that if you learn one (programming) language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 513092_558d_2.jpg (23KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
513092_558d_2.jpg
23KB, 750x422px
Is it true that if you learn one (programming) language you learned them all?
>>
>>61216705
If that programming language is C, sure.
>>
>>61216705
Only if that one programming language is C.
>>
No, if you learn programming it's just easier to adapt to different languages.
Learning a language does not make you a programmer.
>>
I've been a programmer for google since 1984 and it's 100% true
>>
>>61216720
/thread
>>
>>61216720
yep, this
>>
File: 71RwRPoFK+L.jpg (170KB, 1232x1615px) Image search: [Google]
71RwRPoFK+L.jpg
170KB, 1232x1615px
>>61216705
If you restrict your view on the distinctive types of programming languages i would say yes
So if you learned an imperative language, like C for example, you have a really easy time getting used to a slightly different syntax of another imperative language
But i think changing from an object oriented programming language to a functional language for example is not that easy

>>61216720
+1
>>
>>61216705
Only if that language is C++.
>>
>>61216705
No. Not even C. As >>61216720 already told you, learn programming in general.
As soon as you are comfortable with any programming paradigm, you can freely use all programming languages adhering to said paradigm.
>>
f>>61216720
this
>>
>>61216710
>>61216712
C is a tiny, featureless language. I doesn't teach you shit with regards to other langs.
>>
>>61216705
> C fags
try writing haskell after writing C
>>
>>61217983
let me guess, self taught programmer?
No wonder yo know nothing.
>>
>>61218050
Haskell is a meme and is incapable of actually being used for jack shit other than neckbeards chrotling over their dumbass experiments
>>
>>61216705
not exactly.
If you learn programming in one language, you still know programming in another.
The syntax differences between the modern languages are usually small and since every language ads features to help the programmer, syntax is not hard to figure out.
I also believe this is why the million hello world examples are idiotic and a waste of time.
I believe it is more important to show how to compile, run, setup a work environment for the language and where to find documentation.

Take a language like C++.
A lot of people claim this is a hard language to learn, but because it is so well documented, it is now a lot harder to learn how to compile C++. (It is also because it is a tedious process nobody cares about, and everyone just copy paste whatever works and nobody cares about the inconsistencies)
>>
>>61216710
no OOP in C.
>>
>>61218387
there are even some fucking books about how to program OO in C
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.