[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to be taking computer science in university this year.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: enough.jpg (47KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
47KB, 480x515px
I am going to be taking computer science in university this year. Is there any way i can give myself a headstart?
>>
Learn LaTeX. Sharelatex is the best place to write and store your projects.

Python is easy and powerful, so most of your early programming will likely be done in it. Don't worry about how much of a noob /g/ calls you for using it. It is horrible at OOP though.

Learn how to iterate over a list of objects and you will pass every undergrad OOP class. C# and Java are the most common educational OOP languages, and their syntax is comparable.

The hardest part will be either Discrete Mathematics or Computation Theory, both of which should have their own classes.

Any idiot can get a degree, msc or phd so long as they have the self-discipline to manage their time. Time management is the secret to graduate study.
>>
Anki or other srs systems, i take all my notes in class directly into cards as long as you do your reviews your exams will be effortless.
>>
>>61186106
Yes start wearing programming socks.
>>
>>61186106
Yea, start by changing your mayor to something that's actually going to help you get a job.
>>
Learn math. That way you won't annoy professors with stupid questions and they won't fail you out of spite.
>>
>>61186106
Learn how to write quicksort and bubble sort. Understand the differences and be able to discuss them.
>>
Abort. Abort.

Computer Science is a meme. It isn't really about computers or science. It is a shittier math degree. If you want math, pick a proper math program. If you want to be a programmer, find a software engineering/development program instead.
>>
>>61186106
I did computer science and got a job in IT 3 years after I graduated. 3 years! And guess what? Nothing I learned at uni was applicable. It's about charisma and pretending to be an outgoing and enthusiastic person.
>>
>>61186512
Fucking this
I'm currently in my second semester and we already had 5 Math courses:
Advanced Calculus A and B
Linear Algebra A and B
Discrete Structures

Refresh your math skills and most important triangular math like sin, cos and tan but as well as differentiate functions
And for Electrical Engineering you will need complex numbers
>>
>>61186169
>Latex
This is great for writing good looking papers, but I wouldn't call it a top priority.

>Python
What uni starts with Python? Is this a new meme? I started with C++ on Windows and asm for some ancient protoboard, and this was only like 7 years ago. First concepts were "This is how a program is structured. This is the Harvard architecture, an idealized model for modern computers. This is how a program is compiled and assembled to run as machine code". We didn't touch any managed language until the second semester, and we were always required to explain the memory and time complexity of our algorithms to avoid relying on the gc and fast machines to solve problems for us.

>Objects and iteration in Java/C#
This is the best bang/buck advice. A shitload of dev time is just moving crap around and writing well designed classes.

>Discrete math and computation
He's probably better off improving basic algebra skills since most students out of high school have a shit math base under them.

I'll add:
>Data structures and algorithms
This hurts a lot of compsci students. I never had a problem, but for some the concepts are just alien. Good algebra skills help here again, because it's a lot of symbol manipulation. Learning how a linked list/tree works and implementing any simple compression algorithm could save a headache later.

>Time management
Probably the single greatest skill one can have, but it takes a lot of effort and suffering to hone it.

Good starting points. 8/10 advise.
>>
>>61188233
I just checked my syllabus, python is the first thing im doing
>>
>>61188251
Jesus. I hope your coursework doesn't start with making a website with Django and importing 10 libraries to get anything done.
>>
>>61186106
Math and algebra. Everything else is easy, but most high schools don't prepare students properly for those two, because high school is about memorization.

Also, any "headstart" you might get in the summer will be lost on the first algebra class. It's not about memorizing, but being one with the mathematical thinking.

If you have never before been interested in math other than for typing 58008 in a calculator where you don't know what every button is for, you will fail.
>>
>>61188233
>What uni starts with Python?
MIT

>>61186317
>Anki
Best advice here
>>
>>61188362
>Meme IT starts with Python
Oh okay. Sounds about right.

In all honesty though, as long as the classes are designed well, any language would do for cs101. I'm only really concerned about third rate schools cargo-culting from big places, like MIT, and getting it wrong. Python is just a bit too forgiving for students without a good plan and firm marks. Might as well start with node.
>>
look at the syllabus and read recommended books
also have a look at programming languages that you will be working with
>>
>>61186106

Im in the same boat as you anon.
>>
>>61188233
>>61188489
Python is the pick for real fundamentals classes because it has so few symbols in use it's almost like writing psuedocode. C++ syntax is daunting for someone who doesn't know what binary or hex even is. And most fundamentals classes don't bother with Classes or import more than 1 or 2 things, if any. There MIGHT be a second class that follows up with stuff like Classes but it's optional and many people skip it and move to Java/C++ instead.

Entry level classes are 50% history and standards of programming, and 50% "here's what a While loop does, let's make a flowchart of it."
>>
>>61189221
Can confirm. In school now and we were taught the basic structures at least three times. I don't even mean "this is a stack", I mean "This is an if/else structure"
>>
>>61186106
If you don't have any knowledge about programming it's gonna be really difficult

>>61188233
My uni started with Python before I dropped out
>>
>>61190987
Whyja drop out?
>>
>>61186106
Switch to pure math and/or EE
>>
>>61186106
read books
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
File: 1495936592875.jpg (133KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495936592875.jpg
133KB, 800x800px
>>61186815
Entirely fucking this, except without wasting my life on a degree.

>get 2 certifications
>be charismatic and outgoing for the interview
>be the same after you accept the offer and complete your 90 day review
>after this you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you look like you're busy and do some things the manager/supervisors ask for

If anything, it's weaving in and out of political bullshit in the office that's more of a skill than actually googling a problem and a solution for the company.
>>
>>61188233
can confirm difficulty of data structures. the concepts aren't that hard but my prof was complete shit at explaining it. once i found a study group everything was ez.
>>
>>61193137
>pure math and EE
that is dumb

t.applied math/EE major
>>
>>61186106
You're already too late.
>>
>>61186169
>Latex
not a priority until later on when you write papers
>Python
Try C or Java
>Discrete Mathematics
>hard
???
>>61186317
>Anki
>for Computer Science
how does that even work?
You don't learn things by heart blindly. You can't learn proofs with Anki
>>61188489
>Meme IT
An MIT graduate can get any job he wants, 100k starting, while your little state college degree might as well land in the trash
>>61189221
>because it has so few symbols in use it's almost like writing psuedocode
that's exactly why it's bad for university-level entry classes. you don't learn anything about programming, because you might as well literally use pseudo code. In fact, that's what my university did for about 2 weeks before we started with Java (i know, not the best choice either).
>>61193812
>>61186815
What kind of meme jobs do you have? Sys admin?
>>
Trust me when I say you are better off taking Math and learning CS on the side than taking CS. If your goal is to become an actual computer scientist that is.
If you want to be a software developer, just take Software Engineering.
>>
>>61194848
"Engineering Technician" with the roles of SysAdmin, Engineer and helpdesk shit. I can pretty much work on whatever I want and I've been developing automation shit for back end because my clients are cheap cunts.
>>
There isn't even that much programming in a CS degree.

You will learn a few different languages, probably Python to start, then on to C#/Java for OOP, then C for micro controllers and C++ for algorithms.

You will probably have to learn PHP and mySQL for a web design subject at one point.

You will only need to know the VERY basics of the languages to do well. Just remember to fucking do what the marking sheet says. Don't be one of those cunts who does all this extra work and has a piss-fit when they don't get extra marks.

Also what's with all the 'can't get a job with CS' memes?
>>
>>61194912
>an pretty much work on whatever I want and I've been developing automation shit for back

You must be autistic, or barely passed your degree. It's piss easy to get a graduate position or job straight after if you aren't retarded
>>
>>61194976
What are you talking about? I never even went to college. I'm making $65K/yr right now.
>>
>>61186773
>find a software engineering/development program instead
Holy shit that's bad advice.
>>
File: 1444859069132.jpg (438KB, 900x2134px) Image search: [Google]
1444859069132.jpg
438KB, 900x2134px
>>61186106
Intro programming courses, using Java. Your University may use a different language, if C read the C programming language by Kernighan & Ritchie.
Start with 227
http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~smkautz/

http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~yingcai/cs228/

Read the algorithm design manual by skiena. Read theory of computation by sipser.

Some advice:
Go to fucking class. Every.single one. Read the material beforehand. First couple semesters may not be too difficult, but building the proper study habits early is essential

Do NOT bring a laptop/tablet to class - use pen/pencil and paper to take notes - it increases your retention of the material, removes the temptation to screw around, and is less distracting to others.

Do your assignments as soon as you get them. If you're turning them in within 24 hours of the due date then you're doing it wrong.

Don't be shy about asking for help from instructors, TAs, classmates, or even other upperclassmen.

Go to your instructors office hours even if you don't have questions - check out their research/papers and talk about them.
Building rapport with instructors is essential to getting internships and recommendations.
>>
>>61194364
Applied math is just watered down pure math.
>>
>>61186106
yes spend 10 years in a community college, getting pre-reqs done.
>>
All these tardos telling you to study math are telling you to waste your time.

The study of computation involves abstract mathematical concepts that other areas of math do not cover.

If you did OK in high school math, then you have the basis to study computation. Doing a bunch of extra calculus work isn't going to help you.

You are studying ways to master a machine that produces rounding errors when adding 2 numbers with decimals.
>>
File: cover.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
>>61186106
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/index.htm

One of the best intros to computer science. If you are not majoring in computer science, however, I'd recommend something else.
>>
>>61186106
LEARN C FAGGOT
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.