[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows is shit, but I'm using it for now. What's the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Windows is shit, but I'm using it for now. What's the /g/ approved way to write C on windows?
>>
install gentoo
>>
notepad
>>
A Linux VM. Seriously, the tools on Windows are so shit that it's not even worth trying
>>
>>61183823
This
>>
>>61183823
I was about to suggest sshing into a linux server but even the terminal on windows is shit
>>
>>61183776
code::blocks with mingw
>>
>>61183776
Visual Studio 2017 for C99 is fine although older versions suck.

MinGW is fine also.

Lots of options for editors and IDEs like CodeBlocks, CodeLite, PellesC, VS, Qt Creator, etc.

Also you could just load up your Linux of choice in a VM and not deal with Windows at all. Up to you.
>>
>>61183776
MinGW is the best. There are a few different distributions of it. TDM-GCC is one, but there are others. The guy at nuwen.net keeps a very up to date toolchain. There's also msys2 which is a bit easier for handling libraries since it has its own package manager.

Clang works, but I don't have much experience with it.

If you want something a bit more autistic, you might try PellesC which has a lot of features and possibly the best standards support of any compiler. Binaries weren't as fast when I briefly tried it, but it picked up a lot of things that the others didn't.

Visual Studio kind of works, but they haven't had much interest in C for a long time. Cygwin is crap and having a dependency like that is terrible burden when developing applications. Anyone who suggests Linux for a Windows question is out of their depth.
>>
>>61183776
cygwin or use an IDE or both.
Qtcreator works on windows too.
>>
>>61183886
>Anyone who suggests Linux for a Windows question is out of their depth.
I write smallish tools in C as part of my work that I also need to run on Windows, and I use PuTTY to SSH in to my Linux machine from the work-provided Windows computer to write/compile them (with mingw cross compiler).

Setting up a Linux system from scratch if you haven't used it much is overkill of course, but from the way the OP is worded ("Windows is shit, but I'm using it for now") it sounds like they might already use Linux or another non-Windows OS, so instead of setting up and learning an unfamiliar Windows C environment it could be more efficient to use the same environment/editing tools + a cross compiler.
>>
>>61183776
MinGW-w64
>>
>>61183776
I write code on VS 2017 and compile with MinGW.
>>
>>61183776
Install Linux in a VM and then write C on it
>>
>>61183776
Office 365® Word™ for the text editor
And you need to write your own compiler while sucking Gill Bate's nipples.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.