[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this will sound very cringey to many of you but what skills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: tails-desktop.png (83KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
tails-desktop.png
83KB, 1440x900px
I know this will sound very cringey to many of you but what skills and knowledge do you think a very good hacker/exploiter should have?

I remember reading years ago about Geohot breaking down very well built machines and codes like a baller.
>>
Lock your terminal when unattended. Eat less sugar, eat more vegetables.
>>
What's the deal with tails? They claim to be private and shit but they still use binary blobs in the Linux kernel.
>>
read how DPR got snagged
>>
>>61182105
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/281425/does-tails-os-have-binary-blobs-in-its-kernel
>>
To be able to perform things the automated tools can't. To be patient and remain silent.
>>
>>61182273
Ok but, what programming languages would one have to know? What should he focus his knowledge on?
>>
>>61182426
>k but, what programming languages would one have to know? What should he focus his knowledge on?

All possible languages. Never know when you need to read something.
Main focus should go on OS and protocol knowledge.
>>
>>61182466
OS you say? what abouy networks and security though? shouldn't that be the main focus?
>>
>>61181745
buy the metasploit book and do the exercises / use the tools. you'll find a lot to learn with just that.
>>
Not OP
>>61182521
Doesn't metasploit only teach you surface knowledge?
>>61182466
>OS and protocol knowledge
Is The Art of Exploitation a good starting point? What about Hacking Exposed?
>>
>>61182244
Stop pasting first link from search engine. My question was Tails has binary blobs. How can someone trust it? The link just says tails has binary blobs.
>>
>>61181745
A PHD in computer science.

Everyone else are just retards mindlessly trying stuff and sometimes getting lucky.

You need to know how things work and if you don't have a degree you don't know how these things work, simple as that.
>>
>>61183007
>you need a PhD to be a security expert
>>
>>61183081
*you need to a PHD to be a good security expert
>>
>>61183007
>>61183081
>>61183129

OP here, i just want to be a disney crackerino.

Somewhat on these lines :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6tuepmUmJg
>>
>>61182426
>>61142621
>>
>>61183129
No, you don't, most security professionals don't have a PhD. What gave you this idea?
A CS PhD is useful in fields such as AI, systems engineering and perhaps data science. Not security. You're better off getting certs.
>>
File: 1497344891014.png (1011KB, 795x6526px) Image search: [Google]
1497344891014.png
1011KB, 795x6526px
>>
>>61182105
For the same reason the tor browser has JS enabled by default
>>
>>61184722
What's the point of this? Can't see any of the links in the article when it's a fucking image.
>>
>>61183372
>Getting certs
Lmao there aren't any certs for real security
VR is the creme de la creme of security, followed by the other offensive suites (not pentesting, pentesting is skid shit based off running other people's tools)
>>
>>61185847

>running other people's tools

Yeah hold on, let me re-invent the wheel...
>>
>>61185884
yeah, and those people writing those tools are far more skilled than people just using them
how can you even compare them
>>
>>61185847
>phd is muh secret club that teaching magic not available to other sources
Let me remind you that internetz exist
>>
>>61186757
i never said that
you don't need a degree to do VR
>>
I dont want to open a new thread and i think this should be fine.

I live in germany and the government will spy on us (just passed on a new law regarding infecting citizen's pcs with trojan horses).
Bought bitdefender and now looking for a good vpn.
Is IPVanish as good as it gets? It's in the us which is a cons but otherwise?
>>
>>61182784
yeah, but it's a good way to get your feet wet. a lot cheaper than paying for some college only to find out that you hate it.
>>
>>61186864
Neither you need degree to hack or do anything my friend who had bachelor in cs could not write euclidean algirithm
>>
>>61185847
>there aren't any certs for real security
What do you call real security? What about certifications like CEH, CCNA and stuff like that?
What is VR?

I want to get into infosec, but I'm a filthy casual atm
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>61188865
>What is VR?
visual rasic
>>
>>61185847
is malware analysis a good stepping stone for VR?
>>
>>61188865
Vulnerability research, finding 0day and then selling it to the government
>>61188965
Yeah, it will teach you assembly and some tricks that attackers use, but you're going to have to branch off if you really want to do VR
Some contractors will hire you as long as you understand assembly and conceptually understand exploitation, and you can learn to do real vr from that
>>
>>61189716
I see, thanks.

I'm an undergraduate CS student right now, and about a year out from getting my degree. I have a basic knowledge of x86 assembly, and I'm trying to learn about reverse engineering and software vulnerabilities right now.

If possible, could you give me a list of books (or even a list of specific topics) to start reading to become better at the low-level concepts needed for vuln research? Assuming I have a basic knowledge of x86 assembly, C, sockets programming, and the linux programming api, where should I start?
>>
>>61181798
Basically this
>>
>>61186977
>(just passed on a new law regarding infecting citizen's pcs with trojan horses).

bullshit?! proof?
>>
>>61184722
Now post the "How to Tell if Your Son is a Hacker" one.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.