[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a distro that mantains GTK2 and apps working with it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: accepting-your-death.png (274KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
accepting-your-death.png
274KB, 500x417px
Is there a distro that mantains GTK2 and apps working with it?

Maybe some effort to fork it like MATE should have done?
>>
>>61162232
Looking at the whole picture you'll see even if they exist, they'll soon (or already) have to fork X.org too because they require 3D accerlated shit. As many Distros are already systemd infested, the spread of software without support will become less. Meaning less users, less support, less developers.
>>
>>61162357
I can't follow what you're saying. Why would these GTK2 apps need hardware acceleration and why would X no longer have hardware acceleration?
>>
>>61162232
you're not looking for a distro but a DE. AFAIK all the GTK2 ones are switch{ing,ed} to GTK3 or Qt now.

It sounds like you want to use Xfce. They're switching to GTK3 but they're keeping everything looking the same.
>>
>>61164546
No, I want a distro that mantains GTK2. I was fine with early GTK3 just making a few apps incompatible with GTK2 themes but then it changed for the sake of Gnome 3 and now the interfaces are awful, resource-heavy and buggy. I want a distro that has mantained the GTK2 versions and possibly plans to fork GTK2 to opt-out of GTK3 completely.

I want my simplicity and stability back. Is that too much to ask for?
>>
>>61162232
>>61164734
Xfeces
>>
>>61162232
CLI programs don't have this problem.
>>
>>61164734
I don't believe you'll find it. XFCE MAYBE has mostly GTK2 programs, and that's heavy emphasis on the maybe. But any program you install is most likely going to use GTK3. I don't believe there is a distro/DE dedicated to forking every program out there back to GTK2 but maintaining the updated code, and there probably won't ever be.
>>
>>61164734
just use an old gtk2 distro
>>
>>61164734
Get over your autism and switch to a new toolkit. Gtk and Qt have stable branches now so your autistic themes don't break.
>>
>>61164734
Also, why not just find a theme that's compatible with GTK2 AND GTK3? There are plenty out there
>>
>>61164960
>>61164986
I already use XFCE.

>>61165001
That only works for so long.

>>61165019
Go fuck yourself.
>>61165044
Then GTK3 updates and everything breaks again.

It's not only the themes, GTK3 apps are now made to work with Gnome 3 instead of the sane way, with a bunch of obnoxiously huge buttons, fat spaces, useless "simplified" menus and now they have don't even respect the window manager. It's awful and I can't believe people pretend there is no difference.
>>
>>61165776
>Then GTK3 updates and everything breaks again.

I guess I can't genuinely say anything since I haven't used Linux for about 6 months. I understand the pain though, when GTK3 first started getting pushed and my GTK2 theme broke I was genuinely confused as to what just happened because half my applications' text and layout was broken and smushed as if all the separators had been deleted, and I found a gtk2 and 3 compatible version of the same-ish theme, but who's to say it didn't break all those now as you say. What was wrong with GTK2 again though? Why did we switch to CSS?
>>
>>61165810
>What was wrong with GTK2 again though?
Nothing.

http://littlesvr.ca/grumble/2014/05/10/whos-screwing-up-gtk/ (outdated)

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129186&sid=419e0e96447d180391ee598e5d0ceef6
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.